Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel Le Viking, Morzine - any good

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Starting to look at next years family trip and revisited Le Viking Hotel as an option. Looks like a great location, coming in at a decent price, could use BASI ski school for kids and great flight times from Glasgow (early out late back).

Was in Morzine years ago and liked it but wasn't overly desperate to return. We tended to ski around Lindarets (?) from memory as snow was not great around Morzine. Due to the fact that at least one of my kids will be in ski school, we won't be able to venture to far away. So what is the skiing like around Morzine/Les Gets (assuming that we won't really have time to get over to Avoriaz etc)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi boabski, we went there a couple years ago at Easter, and stayed at the Viking. We don't really like Avoriaz much so the location was superb, right at the top of the main lift up that side. You can ski down to the lifts in the morning and the ski school meeting place is at the top of the main lift. We really enjoyed the skiing around Morzine /Les Gets, although I do recall one run to get back where you really have to go for it and not stop. Another plus for the Viking is the large terrace outside which is great if you just want to take some time out and watch your kids playing. Hotel was good, clean and the food was really good. It's one of our 'places to go back to'
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boabski - we were there just over a week ago. The hotel is in a fantastic position, we had a good week, it could be a great hotel but some of the rooms are looking a bit tired. Have been with Crystal before and have had better service and food with them than we had at the Viking this year - nothing majorly bad but all just rather ordinary, with a few silly niggles (like no loo roll!!) whereas a couple of years ago with Crystal in Risoul the food and staff were excellent. Having said that it was fantastic value as a last minute deal and it will probably be a whole new bunch of staff next year so likely to be different again. The staff entertaining the kids in the evening were excellent and our kids really liked the whacky experience of swimming in the pool whilst being able to scrape snow off the terrace.

Have been to Morzine this year and Les Gets a couple of years ago - preferred the village of Les Gets but difficult to beat the situation of Le Viking. Not sure we'll go again as whilst towards the end of the week (after about 48h nonstop snow) the conditions were great early in the week it was very much ice/slush as it was the year we went to Les Gets - this has rather made us think we'd like to stick to higher resorts in future. We tended to stick to the local area and didn't get bored, particularly as the conditions changed from day to day which meant you could have done a complete copy of the runs you did on Tuesday on Wed and think you were in a different resort! It's well worth around Les Gets going over to the Mont Chery area - the runs were so much quieter the snow held it's condition much longer than in the main area. Plus they have a terrain park over there to entertain the kids.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr George, You can say that again! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oops sorry - it didn't seem to be posting so I clicked again.... and again...., and possibly a third time Embarassed Sorry, don't know how to delete them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks. Checked out Tripadvisor and reviews in the main slated the place. Have stayed in a couple of Crystal Club Hotels and this sounds like one of the worse. For around £500-600 less I can get a 3 star hotel in Obergurgl linked to a 4 star for use of excellent facilities etc so looks like I'll be going there. Thanks though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski,

just picked up on this thread and, for what it's worth to you now, I think you've made the right choice. I haven't stayed at Le Viking but I have spent a lot of time in Morzine and I think I may be one of tripadvisor's posters on the place. Yes, Le Viking is right on the slopes and if you have youngsters it has advantages. However, as you know, Morzine is a lovely town, child friendly everywhere and it has a lot of attractions for kids, eg. the ice hockey rink. Crystal has a captive clientele at the hotel and especially in the evenings coz of its location and whilst you can get down into town it has always seemed a shame that guests there do tend to stay put at night. And whilst I'm not knocking the British youngsters who work there, it does seem a shame to spend a week somewhere good only to be enveloped in a cloud of Britishness and yes, I know some would say that is true of Morzine anyway! It's always the one place at the top of the Pleney lift which is deserted at lunchtime. Our trips to Morzine have included children from 3 to 11 and we've always been welcomed everywhere and had some of our best hols, winter and summer. Mind you I do not have a very high opinion of Crystal but I had that years before I went to Morzine.

Enjoy Obergurgl. You will, believe me!

Aneira
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Aneira, Always reassuring to get a second opinion. Only problem now is that I can't decide between Saalbach or Obergurgl Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy