Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Olympic and Silverski - any difference ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would appreciate views as to what if any differences there are between these chalet companies - given roughly the same types of chalets , locations etc.

I know the SO brochure and website is far glossier and that their prices are a little higher but is that all ?

Many thanks

John
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on the differences as I've only holidayed with Silverski. I thought they were excellent. Chalet was well kitted out and comfortable. The chalet hosts were pleasant and the service was excellent. One of the chalet hosts also offered ski-guiding. Overall I thought they were an excellent company and would highly recommend them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had only one experience of Ski Olympic, a few years ago, and I would not recommend them. It started off badly with the coach transfer from airport to Meribel, when the coach ran out of fuel halfway up the hill. The driver then freewheeled back to Moutiers to fill up, but the coach stopped a 1oo yards short of the fuel point so we were asked to push! Then the coach needed the fuel line bleeding before it could move off, so one of the guests rolled his sleeves up. The Ski Olympic rep was best part of useless throughout this, however when we did arrive in Meribel we found out that he was the better of the two reps in the chalet/hotel.
If they still run the chalet/hotel in Meribel (I don't recal the name), then I would avoid it, as it was just a run down hotel that they had taken over and they where running it with a bunch of young inexperienced staff who were only interested in skiing. The furniture in this place was ramshackled and the cutlery/crockery was the sort of thing you would have picked up at a car boot sale. The bedding that was provided was torn and stained, with no replacements available.

I noticed a year later, when staying with Silver Ski, that one of these reps was now a resort manager for Ski Olympic in Reberty.

Whereas, I've been with Silver Ski numerous times and will continue to go with them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very similar companies. Been fairly frequently with both and have loved all the holidays. SO have a sausage or bacon option at breakfast whereas SS tendsto be egg derivitives and porridge.

In contrast to Poodle Hunter, we experienced a 2 hr delay at Manchester this year due to a lack of airport de-icing equipment. SO rearranged all the coaches and left 2 for the manchester flight. Our coach called in at Aime stattion and SO minibuses and a couple of taxis took half the passengers to Vallandry. The rest Stayed on for LA Rosiere. Result was ane entire happy transfer day for the passengers. Superbly handled.

I must say that my expperiences with both companies could not differ more than that of Poodle Hunter,

SS now transfer out of Grenoble and Whilst SO continue to use the rather awful Lyon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alltnaha, stayed at the les avals 2 years ago in courch 1650 with SO and it was a worn out hotel dump. BUT, it was cheapish and they have renovated this year so perhaps is a bit better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've travelled with Silver Ski and had a good time, good chalet and fab food. A lot of Silver Ski's business is repeat bookings, so they must get something right. I noticed that the clientele were mostly older ( 40 plus) , but that might have been more to do with when we went ( outside school holidays) than anything else.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

that might have been more to do with when we went ( outside school holidays) than anything else.

Snowweasel, welcome to Snowheads. Yes, outside school hols, only way to go! wink Our own experience of Ski Olympic, a long time ago, was fine. Simple but adequate chalet in La Rosiere (Mamiray), good staff, good value. We went twice, so they were doing something right. We did the whole journey by coach, dropped with baggage outside the chalet, two extra days skiing, far cheaper with three kids. No brainer compared to flight/transfer hassles and a 10 hour piece of cake for anyone used to long haul air travel - the kids even got to run around outside every now and again, not an option on a 747.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all , my own experience with Silverski was very good , so I suppose I should stick with what I know !

John
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alltnaha, whilst I haven't been with either, I would go with SS if you've been with them before and found them to be very good. Your opinion is likely to be more akin to your own than someone else's.

pam w, when did they start flying 747s from the UK to the south of France... Shocked wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Silverski are bloody great and their staff are amazing! ahem not that im biased or anything, but I recommend them to everyone and would holiday with them like a shot!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel as though I need to put a fresh entry in here since my last one.

Over the last few seasons I noticed Ski Olympic in the same areas as the Silver Ski places we had been staying in and had seen signs of improvement on my previous experience, so when we were looking for a second ski break in La Rosiere and found a deal with Olympic we chanced our arm.

In January we went with Silver Ski to Reberty and were disappointed, particularly with the indifference of some of the staff.

Our recent trip to La Rosiere with Ski Olympic was the complete opposite of my previous experience of Olympic and the January trip with Silver Ski. Excellent facilities in the Planica chalet and equally exellent staff in the chalet (Val and Lou).

I would now recommend Olympic over Silver.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alltnaha, Can't speak of Sliverski but I went to the ParcAlpin Chalet in Meribel with Olympic last Easter and would highly recommend it... very efficient and pleasant staff, beautiful rooms (best I've had in a chalet), very good ski guiding from Steve, excellent food... good hotel quality..... decent location for lifts but a long way from town. Ski Olympic rocked that week!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy