Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Find me a new board... NOW!!

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm booked for the 28th but need a new board as a treat because I don't know when I'll be going next (nipper on way).

Thing is, I usually get my gear direct through Ride/K2 at very, very, very cheap prices but seeing as they've had a bumper year and totally sold out, I'm having to look elsewhere and pay shop prices. I'm looking at a maximum of £230-£240 and need a 157/158/159 that's built more for razzing down big hills and a bit of powder, than pipe and rail stuff. Really had me mind set on a Ride DH or a K2 Beleiver but can't afford the £300 they're going for.

What shops can anyone recommend for good service, good prices and good selection?

Been looking at the Salomon Answer and Sick Stick but A) they're hard to find and B) seem to have also sold out in most shops or are at full RRP. The DC MLF and XFB look decent too, as do some of the Stepchild ones.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noahsark, sick stick at 270 quid Wink The answer is good but for me its too flexy at speed.
Ride DH is a freestyle board and I found it quite aggresive.
The DC XFB I didnt try, felt like there was some life in the flex though.
Atomic alibi is good all round, the alibi others is like the custom X to the custom.
Shame you arent coming to my neck of the woods, could do you my test answer for 550 francs. Thought about Nitro? Misfit, blacklight and team all good boards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny luv plums, yeah, just been browsing some Nitro boards - look good and seem to get good reviews
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't the sick stick more of an off-piste machine?

ss20 has got a sale on at the mo mate, amongst other things they have:
bataleon goliath for £240, (i'd snap one of these up if i actually had any cash)
DC MLF for £230,
burton seven £225,
Rome solution £230,
stepchild powder sucks £225,
technine team rasta £225

Should be able to find something there .... shame you can't try them first though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ronaldothefrog, a mate also recomended SS20 - he got a Signal Og and said it rocks!! Smile Severely tempted by the DC boards, but depends if they have them in my length. Might be able to make it down to Oxford if I get all my weekend job done early tomorrow. If not, I'll just have to follow my nose and go with the reviews....

...plus, SS20 is also doing the Burton Zoom photo pack at £70 so it would be rude not to buy that as well Smile

As for the sick stick, heard it's good on piste, amazing off-piste. Think I want one just because they look soooo cool - not a good reason but hey ho Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Narrowed it down to a 07/08 Technine Team 159 (£150 on ebay), a Technine Team Rasta 159 (£225), a Salomon Riot (£200), K2 Darkstar 159 (£225) or a... SHOCK HORROR!!... Burton Mayhem 159 (£199). Really wanted a Ride DH DFC edition but alas, they're gone forever.... (well, sold out until next season)

Lookswise (which I know is totally irrelevant to performance) the Salomon and Burton edge it, the Burton being a nose ahead and slightly cheaper. Seen a Stepchild Corporate 159 for £150 but not sure about it.

Reading the spec, the Burton seems to fit the bill perfectly as an all-mountain stick with a bit of pop for the odd ollie and a bit of park work. The Darkstar is definitely a serious board for my kind of riding, but I can't help being drawn towards the crazy graphics of the Burton. Never thought I'd want a Burton board (aside from a Custom X) but seems like I'm selling out Smile

What's the deal with the three-point bindings holes? Anyone think they're better/worse than four-points? My Ride Betas come with plates for each so it's no matter... think I'm asking stupid questions now to put off the inevitable of spending some dosh! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've ridden 3 point and 4 point attachments and never felt any difference.

Those prices are very good and I think your short list is about right.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, if you're going to get a 3 hole then do it now, only the bottom end burton boards have 3 holes next year, everything is is ICS.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny luv plums, is that right? Me thinks that Burton is trying to sell a lot of bindings then next season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So have made the decision and put the order in - Burton Mayhem 158 for just £199 including delivery from Nevis Sport. Couldn't believe the prices on the site - only happened upon them by chance through the directory in the back of DCMT. Great shop Smile

http://www.nevisport.com/detail.asp?StoreID=0&Depth=1&ProductID=812003
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman, yep but they have made a lot of cheaper EST bindings for next year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It will be interesting to see if other board and binding manufacturers adopt ICS type systems for next year.

They should, its brilliant.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker, Jonny luv plums, I'll be interested to see ICS in action - my mate who I'm going to ADH with has just traded his standard Custom and Cartels in for the ICS Custom and a set of Co2s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
It will be interesting to see if other board and binding manufacturers adopt ICS type systems for next year.

They should, its brilliant.

they havent, or not that I saw anyway. Head have some useless 4 hole ICS thing that just looks useless. I can't remember who was next door to burton but they had an ICS board but I seriously have no idea what make.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well no one else took up the Burton screw pattern so I'd be surprised if they took up ICS - I know it's different, but I'd imagine it will stay exclusive to Burton.
latest report
Forgot to say - nice one! Hope the new board is wicked.

I seriously want to get a new board having been away a few weeks ago. Understand that there is absolutely no justification for this apart from pure lust, but I really want one of these Very Happy
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
bar shaker, Jonny luv plums, I'll be interested to see ICS in action - my mate who I'm going to ADH with has just traded his standard Custom and Cartels in for the ICS Custom and a set of Co2s.

I've got C02 EST on a Vapor with ICS and its so good for adjustability. In La Plagne, my mate had a rented Custom ICS with Cartel EST bindings. It was only his second week boarding (by Christ I wish I was as good after 2 weeks as he is) and the board had been set up for goofy. It took 2 minutes to swap it to regular and then we adjusted his settings after every 100m or so of the first run, until he was happy. Each adjustment took about a minute and I did it whilst he was still clipped in. Amazing.

I know Jonny got some movement when he first used ICS but we cranked the screws up quite tight and had no movement all week.

Because you don't actually need to take any screws right out, adjusting back for powder and forward again for piste settings is something that you can easily do on the hill, without taking your gloves off.

EST bindings (these are the ones for ICS boards) also have extendible foot beds so you can set the binding back/forward for equal overhang and then lengthen or shorten the foot bed to suit the actual size of the boot. Vibration dampening from the foot bed foam is superb.

ICS/EST is the future.

*edit to add link*

EST bindings I've got Superbeds but I like the idea of canted beds. Sensorybeds and Superbeds are the ones that are adjustable for foot length.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy