Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Leopard qualifies for Winter Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Guys

I just finshed reading all the new comments. Well where do I start. Lets see hmmmmmm

Okay I just skied for fun and decided to see what racing was like as I enjoyyed watching the top younsters racing at Xscape. Survived my first indooor race and was advised to improve I should go out on a mountain. It took me 2 years to decide to try a mountain out. Reason for thinking that long was I did not see myself every competing at major ski competitions as I was of the opinion that you have to be a super hero to ski down what many informed me were slopes that would eat you up. So to complete what I will describe as a frightening experience, that is my first FIS race in Val Thorens made me happy. You would have thought I had won the World Cup. My aim has never been to win a gold or become the world number one. Just to show people that its NOT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A MIDDLE AGED MAN AFRICAN, CHINESE, EUROPEAN OR MAYBE FROM OUTERSPACE to learn how to ski and be good at it. What even got me into skiing proper as my main leisure activity was an over zealous, swollen headed instructor at the ski dome in Milton Keynes describing to me how diffficult itt was to ski or become a ski instructor. I have always been very analytical and up for proving people wrong from an early age. So I told him that anyone who really wanted to, could become an instructor, it just did not look like rocket science to me. I rather look at peole who have spent huge protions of their time and money studying as the real hero types of this world. So when I go in to see my GP thats a hero I am meeting, not taking anything away from top sports men, for in tennis I have been at the top and played for Ghana during my University years. Well it took me exactly 6 months to learn how o ski and then take and pass the so called big deal indoor instructor qualification - and just to make you understand where I am coming from I never bothered to collect my certificate. The important thing was to make the chap understand that its bad form to overate yourself. So please I understand what it feels like to constantly win and be at the top of your game, I have numerous sports awards to show for it. I love skiiing because I cant win ever in FIS race but can put down a respectable run for whho I am.

Okay so I got ski racing, but I have kept IT REAL as some might say. I do not set goals that are supernatural. Some guys said he will never bee a good skier capapble of qualifying for the Olympics so here I am I have done it. Thats it I have achieved what I set out to achieve. Pluboy I understand where you are coming from and its cool. That is one reason I try my best during the Snowleopard Challenge to help as many young guns as I can. I have even organised trips for some of the good racers I see during the competition. By the way there is no qualification race for the Olympics, so you are going to have to just enjoy my not tooooo fast time on the slope wink

After proving that its possible to meet the Olympic standard, my next mission has always beeen to prove that an African can become one of the best at ski racing. That African will never be me, but hopefully one of the youngsters I will support. So the Olympics to me is more than just my 2 runs if I finish the first, but giving youngsters in Ghana the chance. I am only opening the door, but someone else will walk through. Maybe in 10 to 20 years when an African stands on the podium [ might not be around even by then] someone will say Kwame said it was possible.

What are we as humans if we do not aspire to do what is said is impossible. I could have had my job managing the ice rink but chose to explore my own limits while chganging some perceptions.

Guys I am more than aware and we all are that the only reason its news is because I am representing Ghana. I could never in a million years at my age and how I ski qualify for the British ski team. But being the only skier racing in the name of Ghana I can be at the Olympics. Standing at the top of the Olympic run with a bib with the rings on will make my day and make all the sweat worth it.

So PLUGBOY the future generation of Ghana Skiers will have it tougher and tougher as we develop a system to have better skiers with lower points.

Well the sun is shining on my day and its not going to rain, so will wear the snowhead cap soon watch out for it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello Guys

Just wish to comment on Plugboy's message. You are perfectly right in all you have said, but the main thing here is I have done what I have done just to change some perceptions and show some people that I can do it. This all started as what you might describe as a bet. I could have quit after not making Turin because God knows that I did consider it. Just too much cost involved. But I stuck it out just to say it can be done. I have done it and could just quit ski racing today. But come on who would not want to wear an Olympic bib eh!!!!!!!!!!

I will never be able to be as good as many of the young racers coming up through the ranks in Britian and dont want to be. I have been at the top of my game in other sports such as tennis and athletics and I have numerous awards and certificates to prove that part of my life. But ski racing presents a mountain I cant climd ever and thus it always throws new challenges at me so I love it. So to try and compare me with other ski racers is a bit of a punch below the belt. If you really want to compare me then we must go back some years to when I played tennis, then it would be fair.

Look I k now the press is only intrested in me because I am from Africa and this will be the first time Ghana will attend the winter olympics - by the way there are no qualifying races in the olympics - so i get to do my 2 runs for the history books. so i will use the positives to achive other goals I have such as helping young British racers, developing a real ski team for Ghana, and helping out my chosen charity/NGO The Snowleopar Trust. At least my efforts will do some good, and I can say skiing has done a lot for me to. I have had the opportunity to meet the very people I watched ski down world cup slopes on tv, travel and enjoy the company of racers who have accepted me for what I am - a middle aged guy who dared to challenge the norm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry thought my first mesage did not get loaded so decided to type a shorter one

hope its not too long winded

yeah guys i am loooking at planning some more snowleopard challenges and sort out stuff for the young racers, but have to meet with Xscape as the last time I did the challenge the lady who iis incharge of such stuff at Xscape had it out for me and made each arrangement as difficult for me as possible

finally she iinformed me I was not allowed to ski there anymore as a sponsored skier, and introduced so many new costs and road blocks to organising the challenge but I will see what I can do. I was of the hopethat I could work with each race club within the ski domes to organise a snolwoepard challenge, apart from generatiing some funds for other projects I would be able to develop some kind of infrastructure to help young talented athletes. SO if anyomne has some ideas please let me know and I am always looking for people to help set up the challenge - has anyone got a dual timing system for ski racing, and gates, as if i can get something sorted out with xscape i do not want to be handicapped with equipment
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Halleluja to that! Snowleopard LIVE YOUR DREAM!My son passed the entrance exam for Schladming when he was 10 years old, after only 2 ski seasons. I can remember the first time he went training and the Austrian boys literally queued up to watch ´the little English boy´ski, the same boys he is now beating in races and training. Yes, you have opened the door, Good Luck and keep believing!
Plugboy, Lawrence cant wait to tell the boys about T:Js result in Skofia Loka, FANTASTIC!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go for it Kwame!!! Smile

( I'm the lady Little Angel who helped you to get tomato slices in your sandwich in Puy St Vincent one evening!!) Do you remember?

How's that for a claim to fame Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 14-03-09 20:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks DAB

by the way I have started a little business to find sponsors for ski athletes and maybe with time other athletes

how I work is you give a budget to me with all the costs of equipmet and then i find it cheaper or for free. dependiing on the atthletes profile sometimes I can get funding. its resulted from the work in i have had to do each summer to be able to ski in winter, and now its a bit tough to find a summer job so some of my friends who are racers aske that why cant i find sponsor for them, and i thought well that ccould be something. once i am able to find better deals then the athlete can either just register for a fee with my company or pay a sponsorship registration fee. the registration only fee entitles athletes to enjoy cheaper prices on quality race products, while spnsored athletes get to have some products free, funding and what evr deals i can wrangle for them

so if there are any racers out there who think its not possiblee to get sponsored, they should send an email to info@leopardsports.com
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aaah forgot to say I am up for the British National Champs challenge with PLUBOY. I only ask that my costs to and back from the race is covered, and possibly I would love it even more if PLUGBOY races too. Just going to check first of all the actual date as I have a holiday booked with my family as payback for being away.

I dont think though its proper to race against juniors. So we will both go for the biggy against th seniors, and it will be alright because some of the juniors qualify to race iin the seniors too. I will however say giant slalom and slalom will be okay for me. Might venture into super G but downhill is still out of my reach. Need to do some training to satisfy my mind that I am ready
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gillian, did you really get an extra slice for free?? In France?? Will have to ask you how you did it! Do you remember the 10euro burger with a mouthfull of lettus at Mottaret a few years ago?
Anyone taking bets yet? Snowleopard or Plugboy?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hello Gillian

i remember those slices like it was yesterday

you must make sure you are in canada with me never know when i might need such negotiating skills again

thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello DAB!!
Well ....all i said with my broken french was....scusehey. "Please place some tomato slices in this man's sandwich, He maybe famous and ski at the Olympics one day!"..... Who would have thought...?

I just couldn't believe that was your evening meal Kwame after a day training on the hill!?

Are the bets for a ski race or eating a hat Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With the cost of grub in France I would go for the hat option with a rocket garnish Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gillian

Most people do not know what I really have gone through. if you ever get to meet Mr Dave Jacobs, he might let you know a bit about how it has been. So those tomatoes will never be fogotten. I out the fast food joing if I was to go back today

Thanks from The Snowleopard - and dont worry the bad thing about me is that fame is not ggoing to do much to my personality I kind of remain the same through stuff that might otherwise change some people

Got a new limited edition snowleopard helmet. if the snolweopard challenge works this year - some will be up fro grabs
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meant to say i could still find the fast food joint if i went back
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Plugboy wrote:
... There are many British youngsters who have done this! ...

My amazement and delight for Kwame is that unlike many "youngsters" who might well have skied since they could walk, he did not even begin skiing until he was 28? There is a huge difference here which you are missing.

Had he joined snowHeads before he started, Whitegold would have advised him to snowboard, telling him that he is to old to learn to ski properly! Anyone remember this post from a couple of years ago?

Whitegold wrote:
...If you are over about 28-years-old (biological middle-age), take up snowboarding. It is much easier, simpler and quicker to learn (fewer edges and no poles). Beginning skiing at such a late age is difficult and will likely consign you to a life of substandard mediocrity...

thats terrible !! I was 28 when i started skiing and I ski really well now. I am not and expert but will happily tackle any piste in any resort and a little bit of off piste. I enjoy my skiing and have fun - thats what its all about. someone should cover whitegold in snow and stick a carrot on his/her nose and throw snowballs at him/her !!
I tried the one plank thing and hated it. I spent all my time on my ar$e and wished i was back on my skis !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sorry my first post here, even if I'm reading this for quite some time, will be like this, but I just can't help it. I was in competitive skiing for huge part of my life, and nowadays I'm still in skiing as photographer working around World cup, so I can have my own opinion about this kind of things. I don't really care how bad this will sound, but in my opinion, this kind of things shouldn't even be happening. There should be qualification limit set before Olympics or World championships and someone who doesn't match those qualifications, shouldn't even be allowed to be there. And this limit shouldn't be so lose, that pretty much everyone who can put skiing boots on, can match it.
These competitions are meant for best athletes on World, not for someone having right citizenship. This way you put down results of every single skier, who is 100 times better, but has "bad luck" to be living in Switzerland or Austria, where he or she will never qualify in their top 4 men/women team to even see Olympics, even though he can ski faster just on ski boots, then any of these guys can "ski" on skis. Sorry, but it really feels like joke watching such people "ski" down the course. To be honest, seeing such "skiers" on icy WCH courses is torture... for skiers and for rest of us, who have to be there.
Today it's not really so hard to find results from races, so talking about being good skier, or even about skiing on one ski, with patch over your eye is a bit so so. Wink Sure I agree you manage to get down the hill, but that's really not such big deal, afterall I easily manage to get down every WC or WCH course with 15kg backpack full of photo equipment, and on skis of course, and I still don't make big deal out of it. So my suggestion to you before you write next time about "being good skier", and when it comes to racing, being good has "a bit" different meaning, then being good recreational skier in ski dome in England, please do consider your times on races... they are public thing, and easy to find Wink
I apologize to everyone who feel offended with my writing, but I just couldn't help it.
snow conditions
Quote:

Whilst it is a reasonable acheivement to have qualified for the olympics

Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
primoz, Well that would be a great "WORLD" event ... limited to France, Switzerland, Austria, US, Italy and Canada etc ( apologies to any I've missed!).... and how many Brits would ever have qualified? None of the current lot, at this time, to be sure.

Stick to the fotos my friend , and let the rest of us indulge in our dreaming. Jamaican Bobsleigh .. magic!

Snowleopard Well Done ... for catching the imagination .. and attention of the media wink
snow report
primoz,
Quote:

These competitions are meant for best athletes on World, not for someone having right citizenship. This way you put down results of every single skier, who is 100 times better, but has "bad luck" to be living in Switzerland or Austria, where he or she will never qualify in their top 4 men/women team to even see Olympics, even though he can ski faster just on ski boots, then any of these guys can "ski" on skis. Sorry, but it really feels like joke watching such people "ski" down the course.

No, that is incorrect and definitely not in keeping with the Olympic ideal. Any nation that supports the Olympic committee is entitled to send up to 4 of their best athletes in any event. As Pierre de Coubertin the founder of the modern Olympics said:

L'important dans la vie ce n'est point le triomphe, mais le combat, l'essentiel ce n'est pas d'avoir vaincu mais de s'être bien battu.

(The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.)

In other words, it is not the winning that truly counts but the taking part and doing your best. I believe every Olympian receives a certificate to confirm that they were an official participant in their events, but I am not sure about this fact. Minimum standards have been set in the last few Olympic Games but I think that is more to do with protecting individuals from harm as well as ridicule. The sports have moved on considerably since Coubertin laid down the principles of the Olympic spirit.

Overcoming all kinds of obstacles to achieve something, even if it is not a medal is what is important. This is the Olympic ideal and also the reason that there are the Special Olympics. I think Snow Leopard has done brilliantly to qualify despite all the odds being against him. He should be admired and supported as he has done this mainly off his own back without any big name/money behind him to help him through lean patches. He is showing a true love of our sport not doing it for the money as many of the professionals do.

For pure competition in Winter Sports there are the World Championships staged every four years,where a minimum standard is set and people from non-Alpine or poorer countries are definitely disadvantaged or even disbarred. Even then some of the stronger skiers from Austria or Switzerland will never qualify for those as there are way more than 4 per discipline to select from.

Sue wink
ski holidays
primoz, The way you write down your opinion is hardly offending.

World championships, I totally agree, however Olympics should viewed differently.

(from wikipedia, which in turn quotes a document by the IOC)
Quote:

The Olympic motto is Citius, Altius, Fortius, a Latin expression meaning "Faster, Higher, Stronger". Coubertin's ideals are illustrated by the Olympic Creed:

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.[49]

Therefor I don't have the slightest problem with Kwame participating at the Olympics. It's a world event, and the only way to make it a world event is to allow the best people from every country to join.
snow report
ronald - seconded. Well done kwame - hope you have a great time, and get a result that you can be proud of. aj xx
snow conditions
primoz, Olympics are a competition between the best from each nation not between individuals per se. You sound like a very handy skier - have you considered taking on the citizenship of a small African nation? wink
ski holidays
Slikedges hehehe good one. Yes we were actually joking about this when I was still racing. But seriously... no, I didn't and I wouldn't even if I would still be skiing. For me personally there's no point in being on Olympics... it's about winning. But don't get me wrong... I was between those, who never qualified for Olympics, and even this way, I would never consider doing something like this.
Otherwise Olympic GS race for example is race between Raich, Svindal, Palander, Miller, Cuche etc., not between USA, Austria, Switzerland... This is Davis Cup in tennis, in skiing it's still about skiers, not nations.
For everyone quoting Coubertin, I agree. It was like this years ago. Nowadays it's unfortunately not. Nowadays only thing that matters in Olympics are medals, especially gold ones. Sport came long way in last 100 years, and things did change. Now did they change on better or worse, I have no idea, but they did change, and principles are different then they were 100 years ago... if we like it or not.
Samerberg Sue once again qualifying for Olympics is not such big deal... in Nagano there was guy from Kenya competing in xc skiing. He was hardly standing on skis at that time, but he was allowed to start (now try to imagine someone like this on top of icy Kitzbuhel DH course, even though even xc downhills are far from easy ones from time to time). On 10km race, winner's time was around 27mins, while this guy's time was around 50mins. This means, everyone and everything was standing for more then half hour in finish area waiting for him to finish, so they could go on with flower ceremony etc. Is this fair to racers who should get some cool down skiing, massage and other things to get ready for next race as soon as possible? And these racers are not there for fun, but for real racing, so such minutes actually do count. And another thing... if everyone who participates gets this kind of certificate, how much do you think it's worth if really everyone can get it? Wink I still think, Olympics should be somehow limited and a bit more exclusive to those who are good in particular sport. Being on Olympics should be honor, not everyone's right. And if this cuts rest of us out, I'm fine with this. As I wrote, I never managed to qualify for our Olympics team, but I don't feel bad because of this. I did my best to qualify, I wasn't good enough, but I know I did everything I could. I'm happy with this. And most important... I don't envy anyone who manage to get to Olympics... one way or the other.
ski holidays
primoz, I'm guessing the IOC don't completely agree with you as it would be easy to raise the qualifying bar and demand a higher standard than just 140FIS for GS. Confused They have to think also about the media, money, popular imagination, the eyes of the world etc.
ski holidays
hello people

Primoz dont worry I dont think anyone is going to be super offended. You have every right t your opinions once you do not step on anyones ski boots here, that is why this is the only forum I ever contribute to in erms of answering questions etc. In my view Olympics is for all, once you meet what ever standards the power that be say you should meet then you are entitled. Trust me there are some who say anyone once they are the best from ther country in a sport should be allowed in the Olympics. But I beg to differ, as I informed PG when I first tried and missed out on th Turin Olympics that I fully support the system that demands you meet a standard.

So Primoz I have met that standard and unless I am asked to meet another standard which I would immediately jump to doing by the Olympic committee I am satisfied I have done what I had to do with what I have. I do believe in myself and I am a good skier. Could be better but I leave that to others to judge me if they want.

The world cup is where the demi-gods of skiing can go and tear up ski slopes as there is prize money, the world champs is also another perfect opportunity to say when there is no money at stake look at how good i am, but the OLYMPICS is where you say look this is me and i love what I do and hey I am from this country. The Olympics to me means more than just me competing but gives me the perfect platform to get some young Ghanians on the ski slopes of this world. So its tough luck as you say for good skiers from top nations, so they should train harder and they too will be in an Olympics.

To ever man a different challenge, thats why our fingers are of different sizes.
snow conditions
I think I know who you are now Primoz

Hello from me will see you in Vancouver before my run.

Ciao
snow conditions
By the way Primoz I meant what I said about the patch over my eye for the instructor test - its stuff like that, that got me skiing seriously in the first place. I always find it a bit distasteful when people overate what they do. I will only step down when I meet someone who can create a living breathing human from sand (like in the bible).

I know exactly what the Euro Test is and I believe you too know exactly what it is its not a FIS race. I would not be suprised if over 80%of the ski lovers on this forum pass it the first time they take it
ski holidays
snowleopard,

Good to see your sub 140 slalom points in the latest FIS rankings.

How does the points system work Puzzled If you ski higher than your new 140ish ranking do your points go up Puzzled Do your points stop at this level for a set time Puzzled
snow conditions
Stewart, your points are valid for a year I believe (it could be 13 months). The points on the current FIS list are the average of your best 2 results in the last rolling year (13 months).

So if you have a low result which makes your points lower than you are normally skiing to, this will remain on the list for the year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowleopard wrote:
I would not be suprised if over 80%of the ski lovers on this forum pass it the first time they take it

I think that's just rubbish!
snow conditions
snowleopard, I thought your achivement of going from a late 20's beginner to 140 FIS points was great and i spoke harshly to a few who didnt but now I read your comments about the eurotest and instructors and perhaps i was too hasty... Have you participated or competed in a Eurotest? If not i wouldnt be so quick to denegrate the achievement of Instructors who pass that which is at least equal to what you have done...
snow report
snowleopard wrote:
......I know exactly what the Euro Test is and I believe you too know exactly what it is its not a FIS race. I would not be suprised if over 80%of the ski lovers on this forum pass it the first time they take it

You have an extremely high opinion of snowheads' skiing ability Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
snowleopard wrote:
I would not be suprised if over 80%of the ski lovers on this forum pass it the first time they take it

I think that's just rubbish!

Yep, snowleopard, your comment damages your credibility.
ski holidays
Quiet, the lot of you! I like snowleopard's faith in my abilities, to the extent that I shall rely solely on that decalaration and not even bother taking the eurotest Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
snowleopard, you seem to be doing remarkably well on your own at deflecting the brickbats from those who'd poo-poo your achievement, so I won't get into that, but will add my congratulations to you and hope you have a great time in Vancouver.

And mkae sure you wear that damn snowHead beanie !!
snow conditions
What a strange lot of sour grapes ??

Well done that man! Great stuff....it is a privilage to be your cyber-space fan.
latest report
Just back from Hemel today. Kwame was using a slalom training lane at the side of the Poma. There was no one else moving that fast in the whole snow centre, so I went over and said hi, and he invited me to take a few runs down the course. I survived, mostly because I stayed well clear of the spring loaded poles, whereas he skis straight at them and punches them to the ground. He's still only been skiing for 5 years and has made amazing progress in that time.

I wish him every success for the season and the Vancouver Olympics snowHead Very Happy
snow report
And he's in the Independent today: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/forget-eric-the-eel-meet-the-snow-leopard-1806888.html
snow conditions
Kwame's story was featured in today's Independent.
ski holidays
Just read this thread, quite interesting. Snowleopard I do not agree with your recent post regrading the eurotest, the only way you can be exempt from taking this test is if you are sub 100FIS points. Therefore it would suggest that the test itself is equal to around the 100 mark to gain a pass. I do not think that the 100 point mark is unrealistic for anybody to acheive, if I dont pass my first eurotest I may just get a FIS license go to Iran and score 80 points or so.

Good luck in Vancouver though. It must be incredible to stand in the start gate of an Olympic run! Ive have only fore-ran for FIS races in NZ but it was an amazing experience (my first season racing) so cant even begin to imagine the adrenaline and nerves before an Olympic GS I think your philosophy is good and especially with regards to the development of young talent. You have to bear in mind though that this is what drives many people to become ski instructors also. Personally I am an instructor as I can then develop my teaching skills and race coach in the future hopefully working with young athletes and develop their potential.

Best of luck with it, Ill keep and eye on this thread from now.
Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy