Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring India

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
2 parts... Smile

Anyone know any ski touring companies in India?

I'd love to learn some mountaneering/touring skills while I have the time and it's cheaper here than in the Alps.
I got the impression recently from someone that ski touring was mainly for older people but I don;t see why it can't become a wide range of age groups that do these kind of adventures. Maybe it's not as accessible as rafting, trekking, or other extreme adventures but don't see why it can't become that way?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 'thrill' of skinning uphill for four hours is probably not suited to the attention-deficit yoof of today.

There seem to be many options in India:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ski-touring+india
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
probably best to check out adventure operators like Jagged Globe, Mountain Tracks etc.
there *may* be local operators but skiing isn't exactly a mainstream sport in India so you'd want to think carefully about safety aspects and technical ability of a local guide versus UIAGM
trips to India would be more expedition in style - ie lots of people carrying your gear, base camps etc, unless you go self-supported, which is probably not a good idea unless you have lots of experience. in the Alps you have the hut network which makes logistics a lot easier
don't know where this idea of touring being for old people comes from. maybe it doesn't interest the teenage park rat but you could say that what filingle gets up to is one aspect (that'll be the extreme aspect) of touring, and most people would want all the physical faculties before trying that. OTOH, I have toured with guys well into their 70s so it's something you can keep doing even if you need to tone it down a bit at some point
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
True but I believe they have a lot of experienced mountain guides in India purely because of some of the risks but I take what you mean about UIAGM.
I could do some week long introductory courses with Mountain Tracks in about April time.
I assume at the beginning touring is mainly effort and off piste skills rather than necessarily mountaineering techniques (rescue, climbing, ropes, etc.)?

Touring good in April?
What about May?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://ski-gulmarg.co.uk/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, check out the eagle ski club, they run trips and training courses.

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good touring in May in the Alps?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman, yes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman wrote:
Good touring in May in the Alps?

hope so - that's when i am going

the introductory touring course I did a few years back with the Eagles did include learing how to use ice axe and crampons (if you didn't know already) and a little bit of rope work (mostly roping up and moving together for use on glaciers and crevasse rescue)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd love to learn some mountaneering/touring skills while I have the time and it's cheaper here than in the Alps.

Here? India? It's probably more expensive, not less.

My impression is ski trips to third world country tend to be ultra-expensive (India, South America, Russia). Kind of strange given how inexpensive everything is in those countries. Maybe it had to do with the clientel than the actual cost of operating those trips? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be cheaper, I think the expensive stuff is the flights and as I'm already in India Smile
For example, they do a week long sking course here with qualified instructors for about $100
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
My impression is ski trips to third world country tend to be ultra-expensive (India, South America, Russia).

Trust me a ski trip to Argentina in South America is not ultra-expensive. Outside of the airfare to get there everything about skiing in Bariloche, San Matin de los Andes and Ushuia was ultra cheap!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy