Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do when seriously useless lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf, Was that Summit? I've used them twice now and been impressed, all their instructors now are advertised as BASI L2's or higher. I insisted on an ISIA at half term this year and got that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, no, it was Stoked.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, Thanks, I think they have instructors from all over Europe. I'd recommend Summit if you are there again. At 250ChF for a 3 hour lesson you want to know you are going to get a good instructor.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynseyf,

My friend Hannah works at Stoked each year so you may be able to request her
and she is really nice so give them a call and see what they say. You will always get a good lesson from her.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, BASI Level 1 isn't supposed to be an on-mountain teaching qualification, but intended only for dry slopes incld snowdomes. However I do know of at least one BASI Level 1 working in Norway and as I've heard of unqualified instructors working in Switzerland in the not too distant past, I wouldn't put it beyond the realms of possibility that a BASI Level 1 who could ski well might be employed in Switzerland. That said I'd be very surprised if Stoked would consider employing anyone without at least a BASI Level 2.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The whole issue of intermediate tuition raised its head to me on my recent trip to Courmayeur. I haven't had lessons since my teenage years in the 80s and haven't really considered them as cost is always an issue. However there was a couple who joined our ski group where the husband was fearless, fast but slightly lacking in technique and a wife whose technique was good but who lacked confidence and speed. They were frustrated at not being able to ski together. His style of skiing frightened her and her speed of skiing meant he was always waiting for her to catch up. She also refused point blank to ski any run she didn't like the look of...

I would have said that out of the pair of them, he was the one that would benefit from tuition but he insisted she had a morning's private tuition to try and speed her up a bit. She was the first to admit that although she enjoyed the lesson and was shown a few runs that she liked the idea of going back to, she didn't learn anything and had no intention of ever skiing any faster. I agreed with her totally. For me the idea is to enjoy myself, not scare myself rigid and I'm happy skiing at my own pace. The instructor agreed her technique was not lacking and it was clearly a confidence issue, probably not something she would resolve in annual week-long ski trips...

I do find as my week progresses that my technique improves a little, but I consciously ski slowly so as to remain in control at all times. I rarely push boundaries and I hardly ever fall over. Maybe for some people it's not about going faster or skiing the steepest gnarliest blacks, it's just about bimbling about the mountains in complete control and enjoying the scenery and ambience. Do people like us really need lessons or is there nothing further we need to learn...?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another good one in Austria is World Class Skiing run by BASI trainer Alex Leaf. I did a course with them last year and thoroughly reccomend them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, I'd agree people like you don't really need lessons. I do "lessons" because I'm not satisfied with how I ski and want to get better. For me that's part of my interest and enjoyment in skiing. If someone's able to ski what they like and do it in good control, no need to improve further and no need for lessons (though it may be an idea to have one now and again to keep things in place or broaden horizons).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, we all 'need' lessons because there's nobody, not even ISTDs and instructor trainers, who can't improve, change or update some aspect of their performance.

However, whether we want to have further lessons is a whole different matter - I'm always surprised, because I think quite differently, at the number of UK holidaymakers I see in the Alps who are quite happy to stay where they are skill wise. Their main criteria seems to be whether they can get around the mountain (blues/reds) reasonably and have a relaxed time. Nothing wrong with that, although for me it's something I can't really get my head round, but ultimately if they're happy, safe and don't think they can teach their mates (have seen a few disasters with that one) then who am I to say they must have lessons, it's their money after all.

They might be safer and enjoy it even more if they did though Laughing Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've taken the odd refresher lesson from time to time, found them very useful, though often the teacher takes on more of a guides role half the time.

Have only ever had one 'bad' lesson experience in Fernie, BC - the guy taking the lesson seemed not to know that much about boarding and doesn't fill you with confidence when he falls over doing basic turns! We complained to the ski school, who to their credit gave us a refund and offered us a free session with another of their instructors next day, who was excellent.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
I wouldn't put it beyond the realms of possibility that a BASI Level 1 who could ski well might be employed in Switzerland.
I kow a couple of L1s who taught for the ESS before they did their L2 award.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, I wonder if you have missed the point about having lessons - it's not about skiing faster and knarlier (certainly not as far as I'm concerned), but about being able to do what you want with minimum effort and a lovely feeling of gliding along round the curves just as you would like. there should be harmony between the skier, the skis and the mountain. If you've found that, then you are probably right that you dont want to spend money on lessons, OTOH if you haven't got to that point (and you can find this at snowplough turn level) then maybe you should think again. On the question of confidence - I'm astonished that the instructor didn't think they could help your friend. There are lots of things you can do to improve confidence in a student, and no-one's technique is so good it's not an issue. Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The instructor agreed her technique was not lacking

Was that in Italy again? There is a recurrent theme of Italian instructors telling people there was nothing more they could teach them. Happened to friends of mine - before I ever skied with them, and I was duly intimidated. However they turned out to be (not to put too fine a point on it) pretty useless. I can't imagine any instructor I've ever skied with telling me - or anyone else for that matter - that there was nothing more they could teach them.

For me, lessons are about becoming more efficient, and - taking the long term view - being still able to ski when I am 80. Even though I have now been drawing my old age pension for a couple of years I can now enjoy a day's skiing more than I could 30 years ago, when I was relying on muscle power and joint strength which I just don't have any more. I can also cope with more difficult snow conditions (soft bumpy stuff, for example, which used to exhaust me) because I've been taught better technique. My ski role models remain two elderly Austrian ladies I saw on the slopes during my first holiday. While all the holidaymakers were panting around the place in daft coloured jackets, the two of them, in their "going to church best coats" were skiing with effortless elegance, looking like they would never, in a thousand years, fall over. I am getting closer to that ideal - another 10 years of lessons will see me there - though I still don't have the right sort of coat. But you have to find the right instructor - your friend clearly didn't.

But I don't think that "learning stuff" is for everybody. I enjoy sailing, and always loved learning something new and coping - with expert supervision so I feel 100% safe - with situations I would have avoided on my own. Similarly I enjoy a glass of whisky and watching a ski DVD and thinking about exercises to try out the next day, and I enjoy good lessons, too. I'd get bored if I just pottered around all day, every day, though that's great sometimes. If you thoroughly enjoy your holidays and don't want to ski any better than you do, then why pay extra for lessons? It just frustrates me when I know I'm doing something wrong, and arrive with aching legs at the bottom of a slope I should have been able to just glide down easily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga wrote:
queen bodecia, we all 'need' lessons because there's nobody, not even ISTDs and instructor trainers, who can't improve, change or update some aspect of their performance.

However, whether we want to have further lessons is a whole different matter - I'm always surprised, because I think quite differently, at the number of UK holidaymakers I see in the Alps who are quite happy to stay where they are skill wise. Their main criteria seems to be whether they can get around the mountain (blues/reds) reasonably and have a relaxed time.
Isn't that the case with everything we do though. I guess we could all benefit from regular driving lessons, 'cause there's always room for improvement, but most of us are happy to potter around in a relaxed way. Similarly I've not thought about taking swimming or cycling lessons, both of which I do on a summer holiday, I've no doubt lessons would help me do either of those better but I'm happy just pottering about. For me (for myself) skiing is a recreational activity not a sport. As long as I'm out in the mountains in the snow I'm happy snowHead.
That said, I'd like to be able to ski looking slightly more elegant Laughing but without skiing a lot more than I currently do I don't think that's going to change much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peura wrote:

That said, I'd like to be able to ski looking slightly more elegant Laughing but without skiing a lot more than I currently do I don't think that's going to change much.

that's where you're wrong. You don't have to ski more, but you do have to want to ski better - it doesn't take all day, all week or lots of unpleasantness, just a bit of committment from you. Elegance and grace come from good technique, not necessarily from miles under the skis. It's perfectly possible to ski with elegance and flow at a very low level (SP turns on green slopes only).
ski holidays
peura, that's precisely my point, although my principal reason for not having any more tuition is cost. It takes me all year to save up for my skiing holiday and I'd struggle to save any more. But all points taken on board...

Bizarrely, the chap I mentioned is now on about consigning his poor wife to ski school for the entire week next season. I still maintain that he's the one that needs lessons, not her. She doesn't want to ski any faster or tackle trickier runs, yet he is quite clearly not always in control and is fearlessly prepared to tackle anything...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, to a lesser extent that couple you mention could be us. I'm not fast or fearless but I'm faster and more fearless than Mrs Peura. Where I hope I differ from that couple is that as much as I'd like her to be able to ski down easy(ish) blue runs and interconnections from the top of the fell I know there's no point pushing. If she fell I think it would take a long time to get her to try again. I'm not pushing her into having lessons because she worries that she'd be pushed too much, fall and lose what confidence she has (if I knew I could find an instructor who wouldn't do this I might suggest it again). Anyway, she is improving and we'll get there one year. We both enjoy it and for me that's the main thing. I'm also not prepared to fearlessly tackle anything although I'm more willing to "have a go" if I think it's not much of a leap of faith Laughing .
easiski, I understand what you say. In fact, I know someone who skis very nice snow ploughs and to me always looks in control. However for real improvement I'd have thought it requires both "miles" and technique though Confused. If I really wanted to learn to ski "properly" I feel I should be skiing much, much more than one week out of the year. Similar to driving a car, I learnt the basics to pass the test in probably 30 hours or so, I'd say a lot of the learning to drive took place after that.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not pushing her into having lessons because she worries that she'd be pushed too much, fall and lose what confidence she has (if I knew I could find an instructor who wouldn't do this I might suggest it again).

I have had lots of ski lessons and only once did I feel I was being "pushed" and that was with an ESF instructor - private lesson in the powder and he took me down a steep draglift track which was totally beyond me. Only got exhausted though, nothing serious. More commonly lessons will be on a slope which holds no fears for the pupil; you can't learn with clenched buttocks. I have literally had to bully some of our guests here into having a lesson - they've all had this fear of being taken outside their comfort zone - and they all come back with a big grin on their faces. When a group of us had three days of lessons in Tignes in October the four of us, with very different levels of experience, had super lessons together on a gentle blue slope - same slope for the whole time, focussing on those basic things we all need to get right.

It's such a shame that people are "afraid" of lessons for reasons like your wife's, when the exact opposite is true - she's far more likely to fall and hurt herself without an instructor than with one.
latest report
peura wrote:
Isn't that the case with everything we do though. I guess we could all benefit from regular driving lessons, 'cause there's always room for improvement, but most of us are happy to potter around in a relaxed way. Similarly I've not thought about taking swimming or cycling lessons, both of which I do on a summer holiday, I've no doubt lessons would help me do either of those better but I'm happy just pottering about. For me (for myself) skiing is a recreational activity not a sport. As long as I'm out in the mountains in the snow I'm happy snowHead.

And who am I to gainsay your point of view, if you're happy then that's good.

However, I think that some of your examples above bear comment. First off I'd stick my neck out and say that skiing well is actually more difficult than driving well (but we all think our driving is great don't we Toofy Grin ). I was first on skis when I was about two and a half, when I took it up more seriously I was about 12 and did it regularly (locally on the Scottish mountains) for about 10 years, I dabbled for a few years after that then took a break for longer than I care to remember. I then took it up again seriously in 2006 and have re-learnt technique and just about everything as a result of modern equipment and the advances in technique in recent years. I'm still learning and still improving and can't see that ever ending to be honest.

In the case of driving I learnt late, passed my test first time, have driven in Europe and North America without incident and have never had any points on my licence (touch wood). I just wish it was as easy with skiing but I don't honestly believe it is. Yes, I'm sure I could get even better by taking advanced driving lessons and getting on a race track/skid track etc. but I'm more than competent at it and as good as most people on the road. In the case of cycling if I were to use my mountain bike on serious tracks I'd definitely get lessons because I think I'd be unsafe otherwise and the injuries you can get are horrendous (have you seen those injury photos they seem to publish with glee in the Mountain Biking magazines - urgh!). As it is I'm competent to take the kids down rough tracks in reasonably flat terrain so I'm fine with it and as I understand it there's not much more I can do on that type of terrain to make my cycling more efficient or safer. I'm a terrible swimmer so I won't pontificate about that one, suffice to say I don't go in the sea and avoid swimming baths unless the kids insist, I stay in the shallows and there's always a life guard around to drag me out if necessary Laughing

To my mind a mountain environment is very different, if a less competent skier were sticking to domes and dry slopes (although the later is probably more dangerous) then I guess that'd be an equivalent of my incompetent floundering in the shallow end of the local pool and my avoiding the ocean. In the mountain environment, even in clement weather on blues in the Alps (let's not mention Scotland, lol) there are steeper sections, the snow condition changes depending on where you are on the mountain, there are other people around at varying levels of competence who may not look where they are going or may fall over in your line, there are kids, teenagers and adults (in Austria some of whom may well be tanked up on the local beverage Laughing ) all over the place on sometimes crowded slopes and unlike the roads there are no lanes to make it more orderly. Throw in the weather factor and it'd get even more daunting but let's leave that aside. Now in this environment I would have thought it'd be a good idea to have as many skills (tools in the toolbox) as possible in order to deal safely with everything that may be thrown at you, just about getting by strikes me as rather hairy, stressful and potentially dangerous.

I'd also say that in my opinion pam w has hit the nail on the head when she suggests it's about skiing more efficiently. For example if I'm putting the amount of physical (and emotional) effort I see a great many low intermediate skiers putting into their turns how much more tiring and stressful is it going to be in the circumstances I describe above. However, if I can ski with some efficiency then I have more energy reserves left over for all those circumstances, I can ski for longer and I can gain more enjoyment from a less stressful experience. I can also, as pam suggests, ski into my old age and gain all the attendant health benefits and prolong my enjoyment - surely something we all aspire to?
Quote:

You'd be amazed at the differences a good instructor can make just by tweaking a few things, as one once said to me "you can do all the right things, just not necessarily in the right order" Wink

queen bodecia, I'm not sure where the "speed" thing comes from, you've mentioned this a couple of times. Often people mask (at least to themselves and others of a similar ability) a lot of poor technique in speed and a great many people (mostly men, at least I've never met a woman who has a speed for speeds sake obsession) seem to think that speeding down slopes is the be all and end all. Efficient and controlled carving at speed is one thing but the speed I see some people going at is frankly unsafe because they don't have the technique and consequently are barely in control and if something unplanned happens, change in snow quality/weather/slopes get more crowded etc., they simply don't have the ability (tools) to deal with such circumstances. The point of lessons is not to rev up the speed it's to give you the ability to control speed better if anything, be that at 10, 20, 30 ... or 70 KPH.

The funny thing I've found is that as I've developed my technique my skiing at times feels almost as if it's slowing down, at least in my mind. On a black where I might have previously been on the edge of control and terrified as my speed increased I can now ski faster than that point when I got really terrified but maintain that speed and my line with an amount of control that allows me to feel happy, exhilarated and at no point do I feel that I'm going too fast or am on the edge of control. In fact at times it feels slower than before almost as if time slows down, although in reality I am going faster - it's a great feeling Very Happy

Hopefully I've explained that last bit properly, anyone else care to agree or tell me I'm talking unintelligible tosh? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
roga, sounds like you need some swimming lessons Laughing Wink. I'd say it's a lot more likely I'll need my swimming skills in the course of everyday life then my skiing ones (unless I go to a ski resort) wink. Anyway, we do the skiing equivalent of staying in the shallows and choose a quiet resort with very easy slopes Toofy Grin . We also choose a resort with lots of non-skiing activities. We can and have skied in some pretty poor weather but we know that we're not far from the cafe and ski bus home and are in possession of what I feel is a key mountaineering skill - knowledge of when it's time to quit rather than persist regardless of the conditions.
pam w, I don't think she's fallen since the first year we tried skiing (unlike me Blush). If I could find an instructor there who I knew would keep her with her comfort zone, I'd be happy to ask her again. However, I don't know that we're keen enough to go on a holiday specifically for learning to ski so it would have to tie in with a more general holiday.
snow report
peura, it sounds to me like you and your OH could do with meeting easiski - an excellent patient teacher who seems to be able to teach all levels.
snow report
Quote:

I guess my question is, what measures can skiers on the more advanced side of intermediate take to make as certain as possible that their lessons are worthwhile?

D

Go on a Bash and book the relevant clinics. Good coaching, good value and even good company and holiday. wink
ski holidays
peura wrote:
roga, sounds like you need some swimming lessons Laughing Wink.

Yup! Laughing
Quote:
I'd say it's a lot more likely I'll need my swimming skills in the course of everyday life then my skiing ones (unless I go to a ski resort) wink. Anyway, we do the skiing equivalent of staying in the shallows and choose a quiet resort with very easy slopes Toofy Grin . We also choose a resort with lots of non-skiing activities. We can and have skied in some pretty poor weather but we know that we're not far from the cafe and ski bus home and are in possession of what I feel is a key mountaineering skill - knowledge of when it's time to quit rather than persist regardless of the conditions.

LOL, yes that is a useful one for sure snowHead

I wouldn't discount the comments from Nick L and midgetbiker though, certainly worth consideration IMHO and I'll tell you what, if snowheads (or waterheads/trunkheads/bikiniheads) ever organise an end of swimming season bash I might go along if there's a swimming equivalent to easiski doing lessons - or maybe easiski herself is up for it, how's your swimming Charlotte? wink
ski holidays
Nick L wrote:
peura, it sounds to me like you and your OH could do with meeting easiski - an excellent patient teacher who seems to be able to teach all levels.
I think you're right that we could benefit from that Smile. However,
peura wrote:
However, I don't know that we're keen enough to go on a holiday specifically for learning to ski so it would have to tie in with a more general holiday.
. Downhill skiing is only one of the things we do on our winter holidays. Which means that a visit to Easiski would probably need to be during the summer holiday, because we prefer "the north" for the winter.
roga Laughing you need to find an "easiswim" Wink. For many years I spent two nights a week going swimming, always improving. That's a commitment I don't think I can/want give to skiing ATM. Not that I think I needed to spend that much time swimming to be happy in water to the level that I'd like to be on the ski slopes snowHead .
snow report
peura wrote:
roga Laughing you need to find an "easiswim" Wink.

Yup, that'd be about right Laughing
Quote:
For many years I spent two nights a week going swimming, always improving. That's a commitment I don't think I can/want give to skiing ATM. Not that I think I needed to spend that much time swimming to be happy in water to the level that I'd like to be on the ski slopes snowHead .

LOL, I spend at least 2 nights a week skiing so no time for swimming Toofy Grin
snow report
peura, I always here in the summer, you can't ski all day, a lesson would only be about half your skiing time anyway (although I do give homework!). Lots of other things to do int he afternoons etc, so a nice compromise all round. Also, it's cheaper!! OTOH you could send Mrs peura, on next year's 'Cautious Week' - see the reports and Heather's blog! Oh, and LDa is a really nice place to visit and ski anyway!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
roga, lol well done. It's been many years since I had that level of commitment to swimming.
easiski, homework Shocked wink not done that since I stopped swimming twice a week Laughing. Summer lessons do have some appeal but I think it's camping in the UK for the summer this year Embarassed. Hopefully this will make our next winter holiday affordable Smile .
ski holidays
peura, Go on - camp in Venosc and ski the LDA glacier - you know you want to. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, lol. Would make a change...
edit: what is the temperature like there in the summer? I guess the skiing temps aren't likely to be what I think of as cold (for skiing) but I'm thinking more of the camping temps.
snow conditions
peura, At resort level and at Venosc, around 10 deg at night and 30 mid-afternoon. Probably a bit warmer in Venosc. Of course it can be variable. more sun than the UK though - even in a very moderate summer. Very Happy www.venosc.com Very Happy
sorry - typo on address, now corrected

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 20-03-09 8:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
we've been out here during the last 6 summers and so far every one has been better, weather-wise, than back in the UK.
snow report
No worries about the address, google had already found that for me Smile and from there to the campsites. Sounds quite pleasant. Hmmm....
ski holidays
peura, It's lovely down there in summer. Very Happy Gondola to LDA, leave skis at the glacier ..... wink
latest report
Laughing I'm convinced about the weather. At least at resort level, however I guess the snow will be rather different to what we're used to. Now thinking whether Mrs peura will cope with the altitude ok (she had a few problems in the Alps before), whether we want to make a cheap holiday into something more expensive, do we want another active holiday or just a "chill out" one, driving to the Alps (I've never driven on the "wrong side of the road" before although I've driven in Europe lots but always in LHD cars) etc... thinking on... might do one year if not this... edit: More likely than the cautious weeks although I think we'd both just fit in level one with one at either "end".
snow report
peura, seriously; driving RHD in europe is not a problem supposing you're looking properly far ahead. If the Mrs has problems with altitude then the thing is to acclimatise gently - stay in Venosc (about 900m I think), first day, up to LDA, second day if OK first, up to Cretes (all wandering gently and pic nic), 3rd day up to 2,600m, if still OK then up to glacier. It's very important to drink lots and to sit around and pause before doing anything. Also pedestrian return trips are quite cheap, so you could try the camping and see if she's OK. If yes, try 1 or 2 days skiing, thinking to come back the following year - worry about altitude gone. Very Happy Lessons are -25% and most other things as well, like ski hire and so on. The snow is defferent of course, but pretty similar to what we're skiing in the village right now, but more granular and less icy inthe morning. Very Happy You can chill much better (well, I can) in the mountains with nice weather. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
easiski, did I mention we're cautious (not just about skiing) wink . The altitude is the more serious concern, she felt the effects even in St Mortiz town height. Although later we've had a walking in the Alps holiday and she coped at ~3000m but found it harder going. Part of the reason we use latitude rather than altitude to find the snow snowHead . We've not yet skied on any snow that's had any "serious" melting.
snow report
peura, Melt and re-freeze snow is fine if you pick the right moment. Too early and it's quite hard, but unlike the ice in winter you can edge OK as the grains become much bigger. However for nervous people you wouldn't suggest skiing very early either late spring or in summer. Later the snow begins to melt and goes through a stage where it's really lovely with an inch or two of soft, grainy stuff on top of a firm base. It then eventually (depending on temp and sunshine) becomes slushy. Light slush is quite nice for cautious skiers as it slows you down. All the very novice bods here last week liked it. Very Happy If she's only had a bad experience once it's likely to have been triggered by something other than just the altitude such as a bug, cold or something which can make a big diff.
snow conditions
easiski, thanks. On both holidays in the Alps she just found that she she got a little more tired than normal, ie found walking up the hills a little harder etc. I don't think she really got acclimatised but maybe a two longer holiday and only going "high" on the later parts would help. Snow sounds ok then although I'll have to see if our skiwear is still waterproof (hasn't mattered for the last couple of trips as long as they were snowproof and we were well insulated Laughing ).

Feeling a bit guilty about highjacking this thread though Embarassed . I don't know what you can do if the lessons don't provide what you expect. It's not like buying an object that you could take back and say it wasn't as described or fit for purpose or anything. Makes one cautious about paying lots of lessons when you haven't got a recommendation for the instructor (or a least the ski school). I guess that's where places like snowHead comes in really useful Smile .
snow conditions
peura, Finding it harder work to walk up hills is normal! Not a symptom of altitude sicknes. Very Happy We all find it harder - there's less oxygen, so it's natural. Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
We all find it harder - there's less oxygen, so it's natural. Very Happy

I notice it every time we come to the apartment in Morzine (1000m). We arrive, walk up three flights of stairs and are always out of breath.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy