Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is boot fitting necessary for everyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
Am getting more into skiing now and want to invest in a pair of my own boots, I have tried on loads of boots and the best fitting in my budget are Salomon Mission 7 Custom Fits. But since trying them on the shop has fully sold out of my size, and so have everyone else it would seem. A friend of mine from the local climbing wall has these exact same boots which he used for 3 days before realising they were ill fitting (and having a shop in the resort confirm this). I told him my situation (going skiing in 3 days!! Smile ) and offered to buy his boots off him granted they look brand new and the shells haven't been modified for him at all. All the fitting guys did was heat up the lining and mold it to his feet.

Basically what I'm asking is if its worth me paying to have a shop fit these boots if I buy them, granted I have been sized for up for them. Or is it worth heating up the lining and just remolding the lining. I already have 200 quid innersoles for my skates that I will use in them.

Cheers in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only if you have feet and use them for skiing. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tankduck, welcome to snowheads. Between you and your friend i guess you already have a good idea of the answer.
Buy completely the wrong size (like your friend) and you have wasted your money; the deal with ski boots will be similar to your skates, the better the fit the better the control, and comfort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a ski shop in town who sized me up originally to the same model of boot, and said they would fit these ones for me for £25 if I got them. I know these boots are the right size for me (as I've already been sized up for them), what exactly will the fitting entail though, is it a little more than heating up the liners with hairdryers (or the similar things I'm told they use)?

Thanks for the replies
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1 if the boot has been heated and skied for 3 days re heating it will do little to improve the fit
2 are they the correct size????? a large % of boots are sized too big, take the liner out and do a shell check
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Only the lining was heated (didn't know if you meant has the shell been heated) but apparently the liners in these can be remolded at least twice. And yes, I was sized up without the liner in the shop as the size I was actually measured for was actually slightly large when I tried them on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sure you can heat the liners 3 or more times...... all i am saying is it will make very little difference as they have been heated and skied in
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So when they say they can fit them to me, is it not possible?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tankduck,

Are your feet bigger than your friends or just a different shape?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
my feet are slightly bigger in both length and width as he was sized wrong and these boots are a size too big.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I was in your situation I'd have the shop remould the liners. It might not change much but it isn't a massive cost and even if they fit your feet slightly better it'd be money well spent. Plus if you don't have them remoulded you will probably be always thinking how much better the boots might of been if you had.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So I take it its not worth heating them up myself then, if not I'll take them down in my lunch hour tomorrow after getting them off him tonight.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tankduck, FWIW I'd spend the £25 on having them re-moulded and try em out, Worst case, you could always buy new liners for them (which might cost nearly as much as the boots), best case, they fit and you've saved a wodge. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tankduck wrote:
So I take it its not worth heating them up myself then, if not I'll take them down in my lunch hour tomorrow after getting them off him tonight.

I've heated up liners myself in the convection oven but following manufacturer instructions. For 25 quid it's probably not worth the risk of messing the liners up yourself. It's possible that the liner will never fit you as well as a new liner would, I trust this will be reflected in the price you pay him.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just want to make certain that remoulding them doesn't just mean heating them up with a hairdryer and letting them cool on your feet right. I mean fair play if you buy shoes in a resort and its part of the service but if you have a hairdryer at home is it not worth doing it yourself? I thought boot fitting was adding extra foam or cutting bits out...etc rather than just heating up the inners.

I'm not being funny about this by the way, just I'm new to this side of things and want to understand how it all works.

Cheers again
snow report
tankduck,

The shop will most probably have a machine that is designed to heat up the whole liner fairly evenly. A hairdryer is likely to produce much worse results and you could even ruin the liner by overheating a small area.
latest report
I think a visit to the shop it is then! No point risking wrecking the things before I've even started. Cheers for your help guys, will let you know how it goes!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy