Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd hand skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

A colleague has just bought some second hand skis from ebay - well her other half did. She's now getting a bit concerned cos they're Fischer race skis (she's a once a year holiday skier) with very stiff race bindings and a race plate.

We're both a bit thick and can't work out what it will be like for her to ski on them. Any comments?

by the way - she's off on Friday.

Sharon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowlamb, not nearly enough information for a meaningful answer.

Should be fun to hear about though, esp. if the tech actually consults a binding release chart!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(copied from main The piste forum......)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses, I'm the 'other half' who bought the skis from ebay.

The skis have reasonable side cut, so they should carve OK. The bindings have been moved to fit her boots. They are RC4s (I think 2004 vintage) with a race plate and a turn radius of 13m. They are a little short (she is 5'4"), but that can only help huh?

She has been taught to carve in the last couple of years, and we're spending another year at Simon Butler's, concentrating on carving. However, as for many of us old guns carving does not come natuarally. Also big worries off piste........

So, bottom line, plan is to try 'em out for first day, see how they 'run'. If disaster we'll hire a nice soft pair. Debs is still positive and will give then a good go. We promise to update you all on her experience when we get back. In meantime, any further advice appreciated.

Thanks snowlamb for starting this thread.

P.S. ebay link for the skis (Debs' are the shorter (148s)).:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270343857036

Edit:

The bindings have been checked for fairly gentle release for her height/weight btw
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pants, Welcome to snowHeads

The item description says -

"ideal for children keen on training for races and racing as well"

I also suspect that they mean 5 weeks of skiing after they were bought second hand from a trader. I guess one of the crucial things will be how many base grinds and how much edge they have left, and how much time on dry slopes.

Not sure they would have been my first choice to buy sight unseen. Good luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£200 ouch
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, I think that price was for 2 pairs - one GS and one SL... still perhaps steep though unless you know a bit more about the provenance and condition of them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2004 looks right which is a -great- year for Fischer race skis; the pic in the auction list is for the GS skis.

The bindings are not junior bindings I take it, and do in fact take adult boots, that's a good thing.

5'4" isn't relevant with an SL ski. How much does she weigh?

Watch the edges on those, they are thin and do blow out.

NOT an off-piste ski by any stretch of the imagination.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100 wrote:
£200 ouch

I agree... I paid $250 US for my adult GS skis.... used 10 races not 10 days... not weeks!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BTW Photo does not show bases camber etc....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got back from skiing on these skis, so thought I'd add some more feedback:

I paid £180 for both pairs of skis (£90 each), condition near perfect, they take adult boots and are race RC4s. The children reference on the eBay is (I guess) coz the lengths are shortish - 148 for the Slalom and 158 for the GS.

We both loved skiing on these skis, Debs has never looked so good or felt so confident. Loads of grip in the icy stuff in the mornings and not at all 'trippy' in the slush. She just loved them. I used the GS skis (I'm 80kg / 5'11") and also loved them, carved fantastically, short radius turns were best I've ever done. I took them into moguls and again could kind of ski them for the first time in my life. Went into gentle cruddy stuff between pistes (not full off-piste) and again skiied the best I ever have. To summarise, just loved them - only problem was all the flies I kept getting stuck on my teeth.

My conclusion is that 'expensive technical kit' is not just for the experts - it helps good recreational skiers up their game too. I expected these skis to be 'difficult' they are quite the opposite. Incidentally, most of the instructors were we went were on them too!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pants, glad you had fun.

Quote:
My conclusion is that 'expensive technical kit' is not just for the experts - it helps good recreational skiers up their game too. I expected these skis to be 'difficult' they are quite the opposite.

Couldn't agree more. ESPECIALLY and PARTICULARLY for hire kit.

Now learn to do pivoted turns and retraction turns then get some proper length skis. wink Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pants, Really pleased that they worked for you. The reference to children's is not so much the length but also the method of construction generally children's skis are softer than the adult version.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

My conclusion is that 'expensive technical kit' is not just for the experts - it helps good recreational skiers up their game too.

Agreed, any time I've used equipment I thought would be too advanced for me my skiing improved accordingly. Getting good equipment has kept me off the plateau for the moment when I hit it I'll only have myself to blame. IMO when buying gear it should reflect the level you aspire to be at.

The ability of my skiing mates who rent skis and boots without any thought about the equipment they are getting varies from trip to trip (they often end up with kit below their ability and ski less well than the previous year). Those who own their own or select rental gear carefully are consistient or continue to improve. This years biggest improvements were made by a confident (and obsessed) intermediate (3 previous weeks) who bought advanced skis and boots and improved beyond recognition. Just as well he'd never have heard the end of it if he skied badly after what he spent Little Angel .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy