Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childcare in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, here's a question for you.

We go skiing as a family with kids aged 8 and 10.

On a couple of occasions last week were thought at least one of us was going to have to abandon the skiing to stay in the apartment with one of the kids and we realised that if either of the kids is hurt or unhappy it would mean the end of the holiday or we could only ski for half-days.

What realised that what we really need next year is a non-skiing granny who could be in the apartment in case we need to leave the kids or they get fed up and wanted to stop early; unfortunately none of our parents are interested in coming with us, especially as they know they would probably end up in an apartment on their own from 9-5 unless we hit a disaster.

Anyone got any other bright suggestions? we don't want permanent childcare as we would only need this if one of them was injured or tired - if they were littler most resorts seem to have creches, but nothing for the older ones. Obviously I'm not talking about abandoning sick children - but if one of them twists an ankle but is otherwise perfectly healthy, or is whinging they are tired, we can never agree who has to stay in to 'babysit'.

When we thought daughter might have to miss out a day or two we thought about looking for a babysitter through the Tourist Board, but to some extent we would actually have been happier if she just stayed and read a book on her own than been left in the apartment with a stranger! although she would probably be quite safe, we don't leave her in the house on her own, so why would we do it on holiday?

Last year when it our daughter hurt herself we were in a chalet and one of the other parents was having an afternoon off so they looked after her, so it wasn't till this year that we realised how it could be a problem.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimom, there is a hotel complex in Hinterglemm (not sure of the name) in Austria that is so child friendly it is incredible, it has fantastic child care, organised events, swimming pool with tube slide etc where kids can be left on their own, that might be more appropriate than an appartment. Hoff something I think - try googling it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless you're somewhere with childcare thrown in, you're a bit stuffed if a young kid is ill, I think. Fortunately, it's never happened to us. The kids took an afternoon off together once, in poor conditions a few years ago, when they were 8 or 9; we all had walkie talkies, so we left them to it for a couple of hours. Different if they're ill, of course. Anyway, skimom, you're the spawn of Beelzebub for even thinking about skiing for a second without your delightful children.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimom, why not go one better and leave them at home with the grandparents (they can't complain about that can they Toofy Grin ) and join us on the EoSB instead snowHead

wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, www.ellmauhof.at that the one?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A Kinderhotel might suit, (They're all mostly in Austria) childcare and Kids Clubs come standard. At that age they might be on their own though because all the other kids of the same age will be out skiing... but there should be childcare staff willing to look after them if they just don't want to spend their entire day on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys... will be looking at the options for next year. That ellmauhof looks great if you have little kids.

This year they did ski from 9-5 every day, just about, apart from one afternoon when daughters boots hurt so she didn't ski - so they probably wouldn't use the childcare unless they were injured. I just wondered how other families cope.

My friend goes 'up market' skiing and they have private lessons for the kids in the morning and a nanny who looks after them in the afternoon. I get the impression the kids don't do anywhere near as much skiing as my kids do - if I thought they wouldn't ski all day they would be staying at home with the grandparents - in my book skiing is too expensive for kids to be in kids club on a regular basis.

Michelle, I am SOOOOO tempted by the EoSB - I even checked out the flights, just not sure I can get a pass from the hubby as he would need to do all the school runs, Cubs, football training, theatre classes etc... shame though - as "part-time self employed/housewife" I don't have any work committments. I'm probably too old and staid though - I can't take the pace any more, 2 or 3 glasses of wine and I get a hangover!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimom, If your kids do show any signs of sickness (as opposed to minor injury or tiredness) I expect you'll find that a child care operation may not take them on and expect you to look after them.
Re the EoSB, just do it! Not everyone is a total party animal (the Lardies excepted). There are times when its almost civilised! wink Only 4 weeks away, make the booking, you know it makes sense. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimom, try http://www.alpinechildcare.com/

Haven't used it but looks very flexible and caters for a few resorts, in 3V, Val T and Paradiski
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier wrote:
skimom, If your kids do show any signs of sickness (as opposed to minor injury or tiredness) I expect you'll find that a child care operation may not take them on and expect you to look after them.
Re the EoSB, just do it! Not everyone is a total party animal (the Lardies excepted). There are times when its almost civilised! wink Only 4 weeks away, make the booking, you know it makes sense. Smile

Not holding my breath for the EoSB...

but just wanted to say I wouldn't leave a sick child - I was just meaning the minor injury type situation like we had on Wednesday ("my boots hurt, I can't put my foot on the floor cos I think I've got blisters").

I hate it when other parents sneak poorly kids into clubs or ski school and spread their germs, so I wouldn't do it out of principal; I think it is the most selfish thing, especially on holiday where it could also ruin someone elses long-awaited, hard-earned break.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bonhomme de Neige wrote:
skimom, try http://www.alpinechildcare.com/

Haven't used it but looks very flexible and caters for a few resorts, in 3V, Val T and Paradiski

Looks good, but again looks like a service that needs to be prebooked and more geared to younger children. I think all I need though is for someone who holds a list of registered and vetted babysitters who would be available at short notice. I am sure there are people who would also find this useful for the evenings when they are self-catering so that they could have a night out?

The alternative is to find a chalet or apartment where the owners or staff are prepared to babysit if possible. If I was running a chalet then I would offer this for the older children (e.g. 7 - 13yr olds) as they mostly just need an adult in the building with them. It would be offered only as an ad-hoc arrangement but at least would provide a potential backup to the parents missing their skiing.

The afternoon my daughter had off hubby said she sat in the same place all afternoon and read a book - I think she only moved to get a drink and a biscuit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimom, Les Galopins the creche/nursery in La Rosiere takes children from 18mths to 12 yrs old for mornings, afternoons or all day if required. They take kids to and from their ski lessons, feed them at lunch time and keep them until their parents collect them. We know Les Galopins, we've never heard any complaints but I'm sure their service isn't unique if you check with any resort's Tourist Office you'll be able to find other service providers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David L, I think you are probably right.

If she hadn't been able to ski the next day our first stop was going to be the Tourist info to see if we could locate a babysitter. Luckily the inserts provided by the ski shop solved the problem.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi there, Snow Angel Nannies may be your solution. Although the Nannies are usually booked for the week where there is availabiltiy they will happily take on shorter bookings. You can read more about Snow Angel Nannies at our website http://www.snowangelnannies.co.uk for this 09/10 season we will be based in the Southern French Alpes including the snow sure resorts of Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Heuz which are both fantastic resorts with great skiing and ski schools! Happy skiing!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deleted by me Madeye-Smiley
not my problem
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy