Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cracked edge on Scott Mission

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...the result of an overenthusiastic attempt at finding an untracked line at the edge of a couloir...

The edge has been completely cracked but is only "out" by 1mm or so. Position: about 5 inches in front of the boot tip.

Alber Sports in St Anton said they'd try a repair but were not sure that it could be done. (But overnight and I was there only for the day).

These are offpiste skis so I don't need a perfect edge, but can something be done to fix the current crack so that the edge doesn't get pulled out?

I was thinking of taking out 2 square cm of the base, putting in a couple of small screws and covering again. However, I don't know how far "in" do the edges go.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
normally with a crack in the edge i would remove a section of base cut in a new edge section then patch the base, the biggest issue when it is so slight is the ingress of water into the core of the ski...water freezes then expenads and you have a whole new set of problems ...so the least you want to do is to seal the area and change it to the outside edge

of course this is all speculation as i haven't seen the ski Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon wrote:
.....These are offpiste skis so I don't need a perfect edge, but can something be done to fix the current crack so that the edge doesn't get pulled out?....

Brave comment - I've found myself on icy very exposed traverses off piste. Heck, you can come across icy wind-blown snow which you cannot really go round on the best of days when well off piste. I ski on Missions - I want the edges to be good. That said, it may not be too serious - here's syderjon's advice to someone else who had minor damage - read the whole thread and see if it applies to you.

Another thread which may be applicable.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, noted but I have a pair of Tankers, for when I expect difficult snow, icy patches etc - they're better for that stuff. On exposed traverses, presumably I would not travel too fast (!) so a half-inch section of recessed edge may not matter too much.

I'll read the threads linked, thanks. Will try to post a photo of the ski, too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy