Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Court case: New direction for boots etc in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops wrote:
Maybe there is a T&C that says that you have to comply with any instruction if the captain of the plane ................ but how far would his authority go ?

I doubt if it is a matter of T&C, but rather a matter of law. And I suspect that the the captain of an aircraft has absolute authority in law. It would be interesting to know if I am right

But really, what a lot of inflated nonsense in this thread. Your human right to eat peanuts, for goodness' sake. rolling eyes What's the problem in not eating peanuts for a couple of hours? And those of you who are so dismissive of this wee girl's needs, would you support a parent insisting on sending his/her child with peanut butter sandwiches where the school had requested parents not to do so because of a pupil with a nut allergy? Would you be suggesting the pupil with the allergy should not be allowed to attend school?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been through this whole thread, but if it hasn't yet been linked to the list of banned things is here http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/dokbin/282/282311.list_of_prohibited_items.pdf

The only item listed with 'ski' in it is ski and hiking poles - no mention of boots anywhere in the document
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ccl, I agree totally and never said it was a 'human right to eat peanuts', all i said that it is sometimes silly things like this that are used to test 'human rights' issues, but we digress.

I and others have said that they would have no problem with accepting a request not to eat peanuts, have you not read the thread Puzzled plus i have been taken to task in that he/she drives instead of taking short haul flights so we are not talking about a few hours.

What caught my eye on this thread was the aggressive initial response by Vipa, and if it was with respect to not eating peanuts in a childrens hospital ward i would be be fully supportive, but I am trying to discover and understand the needs of the parent to take a wee girl on an plane in the first place, with it being such a restricted location (you can not get off like a you can a bus) and a facility to circulate (peanut) dust via a recirculating a/c system? Vipa mentioned that after she/he had eaten a nut based product she/he needs to decontaminate before going home - what if the passenger next to her has mean munching peanuts all day and has crumbs all over their clothes. or a school group of kids had just been eating them in departures, or that crumbs have fallen in the toilet cubicle etc etc etc ? It is putting a child in to this environment that I am trying to understand when there is not real need to do so and can be avoided so easily, and the only reason I can reasonably deduce, with respect, is that Vipa wants a specific holiday his/her self and it is nothing to do with the well being of the wee girl at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:
[Vipa mentioned that after she/he had eaten a nut based product she/he needs to decontaminate before going home - what if the passenger next to her has mean munching peanuts all day and has crumbs all over their clothes. or a school group of kids had just been eating them in departures, or that crumbs have fallen in the toilet cubicle etc etc etc ?

Now that begs the question, if I accidentally dropped some peanuts into my ski boots, would I be allowed to take them as hand luggage? That's a question for snowheads, not nutheads.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I comprehend peanut allergy, and the arguments made about the re-circulating air system in an aircraft, I also understand all the arguments made by all the antagonists here. I am St John qualfified and know about epipens, I also have a brother who needs adrenilin for bee stings. I am also very aware of the dangers of wrapping kids up too much, I've seen kids in this situation and what happens to them.

It's perhaps a simple observation and may not be fool proof, but if a child was flying with such a severe peanut allergy like Vipa's daughter apparently had, would something as simple as filter type face mask not be a good precaution for the flight and would allow for accidental exposure to the allergen had the warnings not been adhered to? Face masks are not uncommon now - pollen suffers often use them and cyclists in city centres - they must clearly function to filter out the inhaled air or people would not bother with them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I give up... I can't afford to waste any more of my life on this....

Those of you who feel that eating peanuts on a flight is more important than the health of a child, fine, I'm glad I don't live in your little worlds....

Half the problem with these threads is that individual comments get taken completely out of context and presented in ways other than how they were originally intended.

If you feel I am being paradoxical with my comments please read the entire thread again and read my coments in order and in context, especially against what I would consider abusive remarks aimed at my family.

And please, please please get it out of your heads that we go along and insist the airline bans peanuts on the flights. Anyone with a medical condition is required to notify the airlines, what they do with that information is thier business and has no input from us. They could refuse to take us, in which case we would have to comply, instead it is the airline's (all of them) policy to request that passengers refrain from eating peanuts during the flight. THIS WAS NOT MY DECISION!!!

So in conclusion, may I thank you for your compassion and understanding and I hope you and your conciences sleep well, safe in the knowledge that you have made a stand for the hugely important passtime of eating peanuts, which, lets face it judging by some of the arguments on here, is so important that not being able to consume them for a few hours would be seriously detremental you your lives.....

Absolutely pathetic...

I've even got one idiot continuing his attack by PM now!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vipa wrote:
I give up... I can't afford to waste any more of my life on this....

Those of you who feel that eating peanuts on a flight is more important than the health of a child, fine, I'm glad I don't live in your little worlds....

As far as I can see, only one person has suggested that - namely Halfhand, who you quite rightly called an ar5ehole.

Although there have been others who have attacked you for using aeroplanes when your daughter has this condition, and I think they are almost as bad.

Quote:

Absolutely pathetic...

I've even got one idiot continuing his attack by PM now!!! rolling eyes

That is ridiculous. You should report that person to the mods.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-03-09 9:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I am ever requested not to eat peanuts on flight in such circumstances I would be more than happy to comply ..... but the thought would go through my mind that it is irresponsible for a parent to indulge their needs for holidays and take a young child on long haul flights four times by the time they are six years old with such a severe life risking allergy (even though they have the necessary medical supplies to offset an attack) and expect or reply upon a group of strangers on a plane not to eat peanuts, which perhaps is the real issue here as no one has said they would refuse a request not to eact peanuts Wink.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Phew!! What a palava !! Laughing

Did my question ever get answered? I can't be bothered to read through all the peanut related mayhem....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guvnor, not really, but the risk was somewhat 'over egged' in the initial posts; but if you were on a train for example any one with an allergy could simply walk away from you at the first sight of peanuts- it is a bit more less flexible on a plane to do this for obvious reasons and the a/c systems likewise cause further concern in distributing peanut dust. It seems that opening a bag of peanuts next to a some one with severe peanut allergy is as bad as it could get with out them actually touching or digesting the peanuts and it is something i will more more aware of in the future..

Food allergies
Food allergies can be problematic to prevent on an aircraft. Peanut allergy is one of the most common and severe allergies in children. While many airlines no longer offer peanut snacks, they cannot prevent passengers from bringing their own food onboard. As such, there is always the potential for exposure to a food allergen. With advance notice, some airlines can try to provide a ‘peanut-free zone’ on the aircraft (2Cool. However, the feasibility of creating a peanut-free zone on an aircraft may be problematic, and perhaps even provide a false sense of security, because peanut dust, which contains peanut protein, can potentially be distributed through the ventilation system; to cause an allergic reaction, at least 25 passengers may have to be eating peanuts (29). A telephone interview of the 3704 people registered in the United States Peanut and Tree Nut Allergy Registry revealed that 42 had a reaction on an airplane, with a mean age of 5.9 years. Of the 42 individuals, 35 had a reaction to peanuts, of which only 14 were from direct ingestion. The other reactions (some severe) were from skin contact and inhalation. Surprisingly, the flight crew was notified in only 33% of the reactions (29). While allergic reactions to inhaling peanut protein are very rare and require exposure to a large volume of peanut protein (ie, through many passengers opening peanut bags), parents should still alert the airline and crew that their child is allergic, and carry an EpiPen and antihistamines on the aircraft.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's npt practical to make the Tube or other forms of transport where it is difficult to ensure that all passengers are aware of someonel's allergies, but it seems to me that it is more than fair in an environment where it is possible to say "no nuts" before boarding. And Vipa, what you said.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vipa, Yes a crass post, however I know someone with the same problem who when flying or in a enclosed space wears a surgical mask/filter so as to not inconvenience others. He considers it grossly selfish to not do so.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once had a discussion with a very nice security officer at Bern airport about what can and can't be taken on board aircraft, I thought it quite amusing that all these obviously dangerous things are on a big list but that in the hands of someone with only a little training all sorts of things can become dangerous weapons and that discounts those people who by their training in martial arts become dangerous weapons in themselves, her comment was quite intresting, it went something along the lines of "All you've said is quite true, however the public expect us to be doing something so we made a big list"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Stanstead told me when I rang a month ago that they do not allow ski boots in hand luggage

We've flown dozens of times from Stansted with ski boots in our hand luggage.

And (as stated above), why would anyone happily pay £18 to check in ski boots (or any luggage for that matter) when you can take 'em for free as hand luggage Puzzled

4 of us are travelling to Munich this weekend with Easyjet and are fitting all our skitogs (and boots) into hand luggage. Nothing weird about that IMHO! We'd consider ourselves weird if we were happy spending £70 odd checking 4 bags in Shocked
snow conditions
Easyjet's hand luggage weight is unlimited just so long as you can lift it unaided, and without block and tackle, into the overhead bin.

So that means that you can probably take about 15kgs-worth. So makes no difference what's in there - ski boots, duty frees or whatever. We've also flown dozens of times from Stansted with ski boots in hand luggage.

Anyway, I always find it ironic that although you can't take a machete, tweezers or nailfile on board you could - conceivably - take on a bottle of duty free, empty it out in the WC, smash the bottle and have a deadly weapon at your disposal. Profit before safety Puzzled
snow report
this is a thread from last year Puzzled has something new happened ?
snow report
An important safety announcement.

I flew to Rimini earlier this year and on the list of banned stuff that you can’t take as hand luggage is a Lawn Mower Laughing

So, if any snowHead's are contemplating a spot of gardening whilst on ski hols please ensure your hover-mower is in your hold luggage

(who makes these lists up Puzzled and does no-one in authority read them and say to themselves, "hang on a bit, this is a little mad ain’t it")

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 10-12-10 9:45; edited 2 times in total
latest report
It's a sign! Old threads are rising from the grave and walking among us! REPENT YE SINS!
snow report
Richard_Sideways,

Sorry but just noticed this
Taken from an airline (?) site

Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles into the security restricted area and the cabin of an aircraft:
Guns, firearms, ammunition and weapons (including replica items), paints, Christmas crackers, items with internal combustion engines such as chainsaws, model aircraft, lawnmowers, etc., may not be carried in any baggage (whether checked or unchecked)

I can't even take my fly-mo as Hold Luggage anymore Crying or Very sad

Mind you ????
items with internal combustion engines such
does this mean I can take an Electric Mower
Puzzled
Like this It is fully eletirc

If it's not on the banned list then I "should" be able to ???.
Worth a try Toofy Grin
Not sure about the size though. May have to cram it in to my hand luggage to get it to fit
latest report
18 months late on this thread, but I've been taking my Ski Boots as hand luggage recently after my hold baggage was lost for 4 days on my return thankfully. The case had my boots in it. I didn't care about the clothes, they're easily replaced, but losing my boots is a disaster, possibly irreplaceable until the next season.
snow report
Are boots in hand luggage still banned at Grenoble?
ski holidays
Just this morning had to remove ski boots from luggage that was going to be hand carried as cabin baggage. rolling eyes Pau Pyrenees flight with Air France Regional to CDG.

Now for a mini rant, they would have been checked in but as I had 2 small bags for the hold instead of one but was told i would have to take one extra as carry on as I was only allowed 1 piece. Strange as non of this was a problem on the outward flight.......then the whole lot came off the carrosel in a large plastic bag.

....grrrr Air France,

thats after a week of chasing up lost bags for my course members who had flown air france
latest report
kevindonkleywood, What do you expect, they're French?
snow conditions
Hysterical parents. Got to love 'em. Read the stats and then figure out the likelihood. Where do you draw the line? Do you make the peanut announcement in the train on the way to the airport? Or the bus that takes you to the plane? It's a vanishingly tiny risk that you should be equipped to deal with. I'd be more worried about getting punched on the nose by somebody who takes objection to you oppressing his fundamental human right to enjoy Percy Dalton's finest.

What next? I'm going to be banned from farting on a plane after I've eaten a Mr fuggen Tom? snowHead
ski holidays
I'm also curious about the peanut angle.

I would have thought that if peanut dust could trigger a fatal reaction - then how do you ensure that the last occupant of the seat didn't consume nut based products & leave residue on the arm rests. The risking of picking up peanut debris in everyday life must be massive

No wish to start a riot - but the venom of the the reply was startling -

Quote:

b) damned right you'll refrain from eating peanuts on any aircraft my daughter happens to be on

The empasis being that if you want to travel on the same plane as my daughter then these are the conditions - rather than saying my daughter is the exception and I'd really appreciate it if you could refrain from the peanut thing. After all it doesn't say on the ticket this is a peanut free flight. That said if I was on the flight I would of course refrain from eating peanuts !
latest report
Apologies for the above post - I hadn't realised there was 3 pages of debate (I'd only read the 1st page) and the thread is over 12 month old !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy