Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A simple overview as to how you are targeted and catagorised by the Ski manufacturers.

Poster: A snowHead
This maybe self evident, but i hope that it can help you understand my view on the equipment choices you make. I believe in quality and the strength of human endeavor to accomplish it's goals, therefore no equipment choice should be viewed by the marketing but by value of product, lifespan and value for money there in.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So Nordica Enforcers are hand built? wink

Surely Ski corps must now have a category for "keyboard warrior" - will buy anything to compensate for the fact that he spends more days at a desk and less on snow than he would like wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, "this is practically everyone in the world"...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Yep, Nordica Enforcers are hand built, i've built a pair. Edit i built one, they are paired up after.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, chart puts halo skis in Advanced non expert cat. Intentional?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, Does anyone understand what you are on about?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, Or do you mean hand built means using no machines at all, just some fatbob, layering up the skis and then sitting on them for hours waiting for the glue to dry. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hand built or hand assembled? Pre-milled cores or not? Hand built means a little bit more than a bloke picking parts out of a bin and laying them up to me, after all most cars are hand assembled to a certain degree without the labour intensity of say a Morgan.

"chart puts halo skis in Advanced non expert cat"

Cool next year's skis feature bio enhanced space marines zapping aliens?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, by your definition any top name gear you hear about or see massively marketed, i.e. ski with glowing halo, aura, mystique around it, will by definition be meant for other than experts. Pick one b5, Volkl Supersport, Nordica Dobermann, Rossi Squad, any "top" level name is not actually "top". Therefore no expert can possibly offer an opinion on it.

Was all of that intentional?

fatbob, if I mean (RM) or (TM) or (C), I will say (RM) or (TM) or (C). (RM)(TM)(C)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sport? Leisure pursuit? How does one tell?

Xplain pls, thankyou.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are people satisfied with not being a good skier but enjoy the whole holiday experience as a whole. (Recreational) there are others that treat it very much as a sport and train and prepare for it as any sports person would. That said, the two are not mutually exclusive, but they are to be considered different.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Awesome, clear as mud. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
comprex, Awesome, clear as mud. Laughing

Mr Pot, have you met Mr Kettle...

Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The conclusion here is to demonstrate that equipment aimed at beginners skiers has a quality brief attached, i personally disagree with this and learned to ski on expert level kit without being hindered. In turn i kept my equipment for a longer period of time and as a result got great value for money.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Shocked
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The conclusion here is to demonstrate that equipment aimed at beginners skiers has a quality brief attached, i personally disagree with this and learned to ski on expert level kit without being hindered. In turn i kept my equipment for a longer period of time and as a result got great value for money.

Isn't that the same approach used by manufacturers in many different areas?

While there will always be exceptions, I'd say that for many learners (especially if they are not very athletic or lack a bit of confidence) starrting them off on kit which requires a high level of skill or commitment to get the best out of it will put them off and might make skill development more difficult. I know when I first tried a race department ski it completely flummoxed me, and I'm just glad I hadn't been put on those things when I was a relatively inexperienced.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Maybe my point there in, it may have been a factor to you but was of no importance to me, skis were just skis, too many factors at work during the beginner phase to blame a ski, race stock; noodle or otherwise. The point again being the costs are the principal factor, if as many concessions were made to truely make a ski easy for a beginner other better and more expensive materials could be used to help this kind of person, as it is, it is assumed that the ski will be kept for less time and therefore the quality can be comprimised as such to accommodate this kind of thinking. I don't agree or disagree with it on any particular level, just trying to add something to these repetative, 'Which Ski for Me' threads.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, Maybe my point there in, it may have been a factor to you but was of no importance to me,

Yes, I think that learners come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, aptitudes, aspirations and abilities. For some people putting them on kit designed for more able skiers will accelerate their learning, for other people it will make life much more difficult. I can't see how you can provide for level of personalised learning in the current framework that most ski schools/rental outlets operate in.
snow conditions
rob@rar, part of my point was that rental designations (beginner intermediate advanced expert) -do-not-match- SZK's designations.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think that shape and the condition of skis at beginner level is of most importance, by shape i don't mean width, i stand firm on my width of ski, width of ski boot principle.
ski holidays
comprex, Then they are more than welcome to use it to realign themselves with my way of thinking. NehNeh
latest report
comprex wrote:
rob@rar, part of my point was that rental designations (beginner intermediate advanced expert) -do-not-match- SZK's designations.

OK, I think I've got that. Isn't that because the business priority of manufacturers (ie make a lot of money) isn't the same as those who work in ski instruction (which is to get repeat business by helping clients have fun and get better), or even those who work in retail but have an altruistic streak?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
i stand firm on my width of ski, width of ski boot principle.

Is that the ski should be as fat as the widest part of the boot? If that's the case we'll just have to disagree with good grace Smile
latest report
rob@rar, Not that it should be, but that less or more than the the width of the boot can be significant.
snow report
rob@rar, instruction kinda straddles the line IMO, must feed some part of the client's ego and self image or the fun and money disappear. How many instructors know gear AND can handle client egos like that?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, Not that it should be, but that less or more than the the width of the boot can be significant.

OK, on that we can agree. Significantly less than ski boot width can be significantly better for you if you ski mostly on piste...

Wink
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
How many instructors know gear AND can handle client egos like that?
I know plenty who can plump an ego (and a few who can deflate it rapidly), but I don't think I know many who are particularly interested in kit (at least not to the same extent as a few of the discussions around here).
ski holidays
See it like this if you will, a ski say of 82mm against a ski of say 95mm will yeld little significant difference on piste but will certainly yeld better results off piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The chart above seems somewhat simplistic. I would guess that marketing people at large ski manufacturers work with more sophisticated market groupings. And small producers aim at very specific niches...

One other point: durability for a one-week-a-year skier is less important than for a hard-charging freerider.

I would also guess that margins depend more on marketing costs than on production costs.
snow report
horizon, It is indeed simplistic, albeit accurate in my experience, it's not so complex at manufacturer level, at least as you may think.

Yes it is important i agree.

Depends on the marketing, normally proportional to manufacturing costs and volume. More margin at production more budget for marketing seems logical.
latest report
The original Rossi B2 was marketed as an advanced to expert ski by most of the mags when it was first on the market. Quickly relegated to all round punter model. I used them from 4 days in but by 8 weeks I had almost wrecked them. Limp as wet noodles and delaminated for over 12 inches below the binding area.

I do wish that I had gone for a wood core. But then again.... I may not have had my current ski by now if I had done so Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
a ski say of 82mm against a ski of say 95mm will yeld little significant difference on piste but will certainly yeld better results off piste.

My personal experience is limited to just a few different skis, but for me there is a huge difference between my 76mm skis (r=17m) and my 92mm skis (r=22m). The difference is like night and day on piste, although for my rather limited off-piste technique curiously I don't find there is such a big difference.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
See it like this if you will, a ski say of 82mm against a ski of say 95mm will yeld little significant difference on piste but will certainly yeld better results off piste.

Heh? Isn't that backwards?
ski holidays
comprex, I guess so, if your stuck in the 80's. Cool
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, mate, you have missed the whole, entire and complete point.

does the colour of your kit match the colour of your pants, your eyes or your soul?

Cos matching colours beats anything*, anyday.

*(Nordica Dobermann excepted, of course...) Twisted Evil

Who cares how good you are if you haven't had your colours done (and paid attention)?
snow conditions
Darth Murdoch, can I get my skinny skis painted thus:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1160872/Victoria-Beckham-dines-optical-illusion-dress-makes-look-EVEN-thinner.html
snow report
comprex, I preferred http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1160974/Who-calling-muppet-JC-Castelbajac-takes-inspiration-Kermit-Frog-fun-filled-display-Paris.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy