Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does length matter?

Poster: A snowHead
More specifically, does 9cm matter? I currently ski on 149cm skis, a length which a reputable instructor has confirmed is ideal for my somewhat challenged height/build. I am looking possibly to buy some (all-mountain, women-specific) skis, with a shortest available length of 158cm. Will that difference matter? Grateful for some educated advice, thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, yes it will matter.

The question is more properly whether you can still do everything you could on the 149 xrc800s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex,
Quote:

whether you can still do everything you could on the 149 xrc800s
Obviously I'm hoping so. Plus a bit more. (But let's not get into another argument about fat skis.) Hope you're feeling better, btw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, who will miss 9cms..?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

what skis anyway...?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, much better, but missed ~ 3 weeks of the season, it's almost over now and the rain today is going to kill it. Sad

Back to your question, I expect you will have to do quite a few things differently, particularly the bits that involve steering the ski through the turn. You will have to do more steering with your muscles at your old accustomed speeds, unless you commit to higher speeds all the time.

You will have significantly better float, you will have significantly greater edge contact length, the overall pressure and timing of pressure to tip and tail will be different.

What are you getting?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, well, I guess I rather asked for that, but it is a serious question. Dynastar Exclusive Legend. If I go for 'Powder' they'll be 158s, though the 'Fluid' (slighly narrower - 175mm as opposed to 185mm) are available in 152cm - which is surely de minimis. So my thinking is: if people say that the extra length will be too much, then I'll go for the Fluids and hope that they too will be fine for me when I venture off-piste.

comprex, glad you're better, sorry you missed some good snow. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, what does off-piste mean for you? How deep pow- how many ice chunks/moguls/rocks?

Unless you are over 10st I'd go 152cm Legend (non pow) and hire skis for powder days. And what do you mean no 152cm Legends? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, mmm, I'm sort of hoping that if I get a new pair of skis, they'll get me round anything and everything. Are you saying that the 152cm/75mm Dynastars will be OK (I'm well under 10st) on most conditions, on-piste and off, except Japanese-style powder? If so, that would do fine, since the reality is that the majority of my time will still be spent on piste. If not ie if I have to hire every time I venture off piste at all, then I might as well stick with what I've got.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
comprex, mmm, I'm sort of hoping that if I get a new pair of skis, they'll get me round anything and everything. Are you saying that the 152cm/75mm Dynastars will be OK (I'm well under 10st) on most conditions, on-piste and off, except Japanese-style powder?

Yes. Even so you will need to go through a bit of retrain; your current skis will feel right zippy in comparison (at first).

Quote:

If so, that would do fine, since the reality is that the majority of my time will still be spent on piste. If not ie if I have to hire every time I venture off piste at all, then I might as well stick with what I've got.

You just confused me by talking about the Exclusive Fluid, which is a 68mm waist.

(Yes, I did puzzle out that you meant Exclusive Legend with Fluid System binding instead of Legend Flat)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How high is 158 on you..?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, These fellas. Guess I could probably manage a bit of a re-train.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, dunno. I'm just under 156cm 'tall'.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, you're in a buying mood aren't you..?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, how recently fitted are your boots?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, I'm preparing myself for an end-of-season bargain. wink
latest report
comprex, footbeds new this season. Admittedly low-spec boots. Don't start. Shocked
snow report
Hurtle, prepare yourself to find spaces in them you never knew existed. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind.
latest report
comprex, I know, I know. The bootfitter found them but said I'd be OK with the footbeds for a while yet and so it seems.

Thanks for your input. Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle wrote:

Thanks for your input. Very Happy

Can I now start on 'asking specific questions if one wants specific answers'? wink
snow conditions
comprex, if you like. Did I do something wrong? I asked a specific question (or so I thought) and you answered it very specifically in your first post. I would have been happy to let it rest there, though I'd be quite interested to know if yours is a generally held view.

....she said, defensively... Laughing
ski holidays
I say the 152cm 75mm under foot ones for you Hurtle.
snow conditions
Does it have to be Dynastars?- the Missdemeanour which I know some sh ladies love is available on that same page from EB though with a twin tip I'd be confident you can go for a longer length without compromising skiibility.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, fatbob, Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, Aha! These are the skis I skied in Lech. I am 165cm tall and I had the 158cm skis. I was very tempted. Although, I might like to try the 165cm first. They are nice and lightweight and easy to ski. I would have thought that 152cm would be good for you.
snow report
Hurtle, Try before you buy. Then you can decide based on your own experience.

Surprised nobody mentioned that.
snow report
fatbob, have you seen the graphics on the Missdemeanors....

admittedly these are the 07/08s I got my wife from Conrad.

Just Hurtle's style
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle, I don't know if its any help, but at my level I can't notice the difference in 5cm. 9cm if only slightly less than twice that. I would imagine after 10 mins you would be getting used to things just as I would now expect to.
ski holidays
I love my MIssDemeabors. 153cm's and same height as Hurtle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been skiing on 186cm skis all season - This morning I realised that I hadn't serviced them since I last used them so took my 176cm skis-
Things I noticed -

1. Easier to turn (they a softer and narrower as well)
2. Shorter turn radius
3. They flapped about a bit more when going fast.....
snow conditions
Hurtle, FWIW (probably not very much!) I tried both the Dynastar Exclusive Legend Powder & Fluid at the MK ski test last year - reviews here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1063580

I should say that I'm 167cm tall and weigh around 53kg, so my views on ski length will be rather different from yours! But of the two, I'd definately go for the Legend Powder...
snow conditions
Thanks everybody, lots to mull over, all really helpful (including the pic of the Missdemeanor graphics. Shocked)
snow report
If you have skied a bit then nose height but wider might be good...........maybe the Chicka..as it is light and 153...
81mm waiste would be good all round.
I've skied the male version which is the Spark and it behaves well everywhere and with a good tune goes down very icy pistes, IME plus you will not be
a nob in fresh stuff Laughing
snow report
JT, don't you mean the Spicy? Having tried both, I hated the Chicka and loved the Spicy (which is the female version of the Spark). The latter also comes in a 153 and definitely a go everywhere ski in my limited experience and with my limited skills
latest report
eng_ch, opps yes.. I did mean the Spicy..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy