Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many miles you ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I was just wondering if there is any device out there that you clip to your skis or carry with you that tells you how many miles you ski in a day, as it would be quite interesting to see.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
navman a300 or what ever their ski version was called....don't think they do them any more..might be on ebay...gives you distanct, vertical speed, max speed avg etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Navman x300 was the ski version. I have one. It starts & stops automatically, and can be configured to only record downhill travel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Matt_G, I'm not sure where else this is available but the Ski Welt lift pass logs your activity and you can log on to their website, tap in your lift pass number and see exactly how many km you skiied, lifts used, plus other analysis. We thought this was a great add on service. Perhaps other resorts with hands free passes offer this service?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assume Hayls means this:

http://skiline.cc/resort?p=top100#

used it at Saalbach in jan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hayls wrote:
Matt_G, I'm not sure where else this is available but the Ski Welt lift pass logs your activity and you can log on to their website, tap in your lift pass number and see exactly how many km you skiied, lifts used, plus other analysis. We thought this was a great add on service. Perhaps other resorts with hands free passes offer this service?

Yes, the skiline.cc service covers most Austrian resorts as far as I can tell.

And there is a similar service for the dolomites dolomiti superski area.

But none of them tell you exactly how many km you have skied - they can't because there are very often alternate routes from getting off one lift to arrival at the next, and these systems only register which lifts you have used. So they only proved estimated distances covered.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have one of these http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1300-F.htm

Works quite well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jagerbull wrote:

Anyone know of snything like this for the paradiski area?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Suunto will tell you how many vertical feet you've done which can be recorded in a log and summed (I think Puzzled ), if you can be bothered to take the gloves off and set it going between each run rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't we ski Kilometers?

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish wrote:
Don't we ski Kilometers?

snowHead
Not in North America, they ski acres there Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyph, absolutely correct.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoda wrote:
I have one of these http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1300-F.htm

Works quite well.

Yoda, the nano or the woman??? Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought Mrs P a navman a few Christmas ago. What is surprising is how little time you actually spend skiing.I dont include lunch or other lengthy stops in this. If you ski for half the time you are out you have done very well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster wrote:
Jagerbull wrote:

Anyone know of snything like this for the paradiski area?

don't think anything like that exists I'm afraid...
snow report
Dunno, depends how far apart the bars are. Cool
ski holidays
round about 30-35 miles a day according to the GPS, this includes lifts as well.
snow report
Matt_G, I use a Suunto X9i watch with GPS, and download a log file to my PC at the end of the day. It records total distance travelled, total descent, min, max and ave speed, and a load of other stuff. It also shows the route travelled on Google maps. I find that we do about 50kms and around 7000m vertical in a reasonable day.
ski holidays
Matt_G,

If you have a Nokia hone with GPS, download the Sports Tracker from their website...free...
Records where you've been, distance, speeds, times etc... And you can import the output file in Google earth.
Another snowHead had that set-up in Meribel back in Jan..

We once covered 51 miles (incl lifts) in one day.. Shocked
ski holidays
If you carry your GPS with you when skiing, then my converter will tell you all of that:

How far you skied, (per day and for the whole log)
How long you spent on lifts (per day and for the whole log)
how long you skied for, (per day and for the whole log)
how far you went on lifts (per day and for the whole log)
Average speed per each run, per day, for the entire log
Gives you altitude profile graphs for each run, each day and the entire log.

try it, I'm a skiing geek so its free for all to use, all results are shown in google earth :

http://www.chuffnuts.com/pistemaps

Load this into google earth to see what I mean : http://www.chuffnuts.com/pistemaps/KMZ/SainteFoy-Combined.kmz

Green lines are runs (descents), red lines are lifts (ascents), and don't forget to click on each of the blue links on the tree view, they provide summary info and details for the day/run and in total.

Si.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you have a Nokia hone with GPS, download the Sports Tracker from their website...free...
Records where you've been, distance, speeds, times etc... And you can import the output file in Google earth.
Another had that set-up in Meribel back in Jan..

Does the Nokia Tracker run out after a trial period, or is it free to use
ski holidays
fishslice, interesting. I seem to remember seeing it before, but thanks for the reminder and for making it available.

We're playing a little game over on our hill, called 'as many as you can'.

The rules are simple: No stopping. Both skis on snow at all times. Make as many turns as you can in 1000 feet (or 300m) of vertical. Most of the (actually counted) answers are in the 120-150 range (turns in the 7m range). Can your program score this game?

EDIT: any thoughts on something that can are welcome. Ski speed is maybe 25-30 mph, skier body downhill speed is maybe 5 mph.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-03-09 20:07; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Seperate issue, re nokia GPS, bought a phone with Nokia GPS receiver, nokia tell me GPS application (Nokia MAPS) will only run for three months, after that need to subscibe to Nokia Maps, can i download another mapping app to my phone
latest report
kendub,

1- Nokia sports tracker will not run out..it's freeware, no licence required...

2- Nokia Maps: voice navigation/guidance is not free so the trial ends after 3 months. However after that, you can still use Nokia maps to track where you are, browse maps, find adresses or POI..It just won't tell you how to get from A to B if you don't buy a licence.

3- You don't need Nokia Maps to run Sports tracker.

4- The downside of the set-up is that the GPS receiver drains the phone's battery quickly so to last an entire day, another snowhead was connecting to an external GPS receiver via bluetooth. That way the phone/sports tracker was easily lasting all day...Otherwise your phone's battery goes flat within a couple of hours if that..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy