Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Ski Selection Question

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been asked at least a thousand times but let me make it a thousand and one.

I only ski a few times a year mainly I'm a cyclist. I put in 3000+ miles (5000+K) per year so the legs aren't too bad. Cycling doesn't compare apples to apples with skiing but there is some overlap.

I am looking to buy my first pair of shaped skis. To date my main ski has been a 200 CM Volant Z (might be a Volant S it's hard to tell from the graphic), which were purchased used a number of years back. I'm 6' 1/2" (191CM) 162lbs (73.5 KG) and on the high side of 50.

I can ski the blue (intermediate) runs but have never been able to handle the black (expert) runs. 99% of the time I ski at Mt Hood in Oregon. Occasionally there is powder but the vast majority of the time I'm on groomed runs in packed snow. I would like to be able to get off piste a little and the Volants don't do well at all there. I do ski reasonably fast, as long as I don't go really fast it seems like it's easier to be in control with a little extra speed.

I am only going to Ski a few times a year (unless the shaped skis really improve the fun factor) so I'm not looking for an expert ski and not a beginner ski, just something I can have fun with but that still has enough range to let me improve if I decide to ski more. My boots are Salomon Integral Equipe 8.0. They have been around a while but they are in good shape and don't have that many hours on them. A week ago in a store I tried on a brand new set of Salomon (sorry I don't remember the model) but your basic $300.00 boot with the nice ratcheting buckle system and power strap, and frankly the flex felt identical to what I have now but a little sloppier since I've added some strategic padding to mine.

Once aging I am probably going to buy used skis and after reading a number of reviews am considering the Salomon X-Wing 8 in 174cm. It appears to be an intermediate to advanced intermediate ski, with a little more flex and forgiveness than the X-Wing 10 and less exacting still then its big brothers Cyclone, Hurricane and Fury.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have about the X-Wing 8 or other directions I might consider.

Thanks, Gene
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GeneT, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sorry I don't know anything about the X-Wings but I'm sure someone who does will be along soon. I'm guessing though that your choice will be restricted if you are only going to buy used Puzzled

I remember my pair of Salomon Integrals - a super boot for me at that time, maybe only forced from the market by the "4 clip essential" hype Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not rent a shaped ski and see how you feel about them so you can think about the kind of ski you're wanting, rather than a total blind stab in the dark? For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the X-Wings (aside from the silly name - where are the tie fighters?) - they're very light and feel a little cheap and wobbly to me, due to the foam core rather than wood.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave, year before last I forgot boots and ended up renting the whole package. They started me off on what I think were scrambler 400s in the 160's. I could see why they used them for rentals, they wanted to turn about every 6 feet, there was no way to get going fast enough to hurt yourself and they just killed my legs.

I took them back and paid a bit extra to rent the sport skis which were some variant of X-Wings in the 170's (172 is what comes to mind). They weren't outstanding but they turned well, handled the crud better than the Volants and recovered well. I am trying to find out exactly what it was that I rented. From my perspective, at the price range I'm looking in, I could easily recover from a mistake purchase. That said if by consensus I choose a Ski that is generally well accepted for my level of skiing, odds are that it will work out better then what I have until I get the opportunity to find, or progress to better. Hence the solicitation of opinions.

I don't really care about name and only mildy about color. I don't care if they are used and show it as long as they let me have fun and provide room for advancement. I know how tough a question this is. I am a ride leader for the cycling club and it is hard at times to be in tune with new riders that stuggle to keep a slow pace. I am reasonably certain I could ski an expert ski on intermediate terrain but I am also certain I would struggle more doing it. Primarily I want to go out and enjoy the experience.

Thanks,

Gene
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only tried the Fury's and I agree with DaveC, they didn't feel that great.... very whimsical underfoot and a bit Mission-like in that the shovel was big but never felt commited to the turn. Easy to ski and easy to pivot but just lacked something....

Tried them in ice ..real blue stuff..and they were ok as much as they could be...so that was a plus, I guess...and tried them in chopped up stuff which they did ok in...

I don't know what it was...just didn't walk away thinking I like them...

I think Salamon are trying hard to get back their market share but the competion is stiff...so try as many others as you can...until you find one you can live with...

You can ask for others thoughts but how appplicable they work out for you..only you will know.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GeneT, Lots of good skis out there. If you're looking to go off piste in the PNW and are anything more than a lycra whippet (which I fear you may be as a cyclist) then something around 90mm in the waist may make sense, also work fine on soft groomers. Given your location I'd expect you can find a decent ski store selling at 50% off this time of year and still get decent advice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the answers. I'll spend the majority of the time on piste but either by accident or purpose I've been off piste a few times and it just wasn't a place for me to be with the Volants, It was a lot like taking a road bike into the forest.

Maybe a little more looking will be in order but If I go for the X-Wings I should be able to get them used for a little over $100 in good condition. Still no use spending the money if I headed down the wrong track.

Lycra Whippet! LOL, now there's a visual. Whippet might be a little strong but I'm no bruiser that's for sure. - Gene
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also skiers (& most cyclists I know) obsess endlessly about gear but the truth is ,short of buying a no name ski made in a Bulgarian donkey factory, any ski designed and made in the past couple of years is likely to be a world away in performance and ease of use(& weight) from an old pair of Volants
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
then something around 90mm in the waist may make sense, also work fine on soft groomers.

Eagerly awaitng angry BASI mob Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads GeneT.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC wrote:
fatbob wrote:
then something around 90mm in the waist may make sense, also work fine on soft groomers.

Eagerly awaitng angry BASI mob Wink

You called? NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given what you've said, GeneT, I'm with fatbob on the "go with the discount" factor at this time of year.

Personally, I'd suggest something in the mid 80mms, but (as you'll find) you've walked slap bang into a big debate on the ski widths here.

Given that you're 191cm, I'd suggest that 174cm may be a tad short - although you are pretty light for your weight.

IIRC Volants have a reputation for being pretty stiff skis and you may find that the X-Wing 8s are just a bit too floppy for you. If you've got good quads then, personally, I'd suggest aiming for something around two thirds up the range.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually 6' 1/2" is 184cm, 191cm is 6'3".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the correction on the height, not sure how I messed that one up!

My quads are OK, not killer, I was doing leg presses in the gym today. Cycling wise I'm a decent hill climber but nothing wrong with being better Toofy Grin.

I did stop by one shop tonight and the fellow seemed knowledgeable. His viewpoint was that I should be one ski down, as in an X-Wing 6 or possibly a K2 Ranger in a 170cm. It was helpful as regardless of what I did with a tape measure being in the store made it easy to see that the 170 hit me about the bridge of the nose.

His reasoning was the X-wing 6 could be skied either relaxed or aggressive (to a point) where the -8 you needed to be agressive most of the time. It at least sounds reasonable and it sounds like me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well this is getting frustrating. I've read enough on the X-wing 6 that I doubt it's what I'm looking for, it doesn't like to go straight quickly.The reviews on the X-Wing 8 I've read echo the comments here, too soft and not great edge hold. You probably could get a 50% discount on Skis if you can find any significant quantity left in the Portland area. They are on the endangered species list with the spotted owl and I am trying to find some demo skis.

Anyone here have first hand experience with the X-wing 10?

Thanks,

Gene
snow conditions
The plot deepens. I just got off the phone with Salomon and talked with a rep. who originally was from the Portland, Or area and knows Mt Hood Meadows. His advice was to go with the Tornado and that it wouldn't be too much ski for me.

Spare change?

Gene
snow report
GeneT, Try several skis before you buy, if this is at all possible. Many ski shops in Europe have test skis (not sure if this is common in the US), and you can try several in the same day. If you have a ski in mind, like the Tornado, tell the shop that's the kind of thing you're looking for and ask them to suggest 3 or 4 similar skis to try. I have never bought the ski that I first thought I would after testing 4 or 5 one after the other, and I can't recommend this approach strongly enough.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy