Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See in June. Any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to my son developing chickenpox 3 days before we were due to fly, I had to cancel the family trip to Schladming this week. Sad

Luckily I still have a lads week to VT in 2 weeks time to fall back on. However I want to use the insurance money to get a family trip, ideally with a bit of snow time for my daughter. Unfortunately my wife can't get any time off until the end of April. My wife is also not overly fussed for snow, being the sort who prefers lounging on the beach.

So putting my thinking cap I thought ZaS might be just the job. A nice lazy lakeside holiday for my wife. While I can do a couple of mornings on the glacier with my daughter. Then there is the lake for doing a bit of sailing as well. I showed my wife some pictures and she thought it looked very pretty and was quite keen. But I'm not quite over the finishing line yet. I need to check some things first.

What's the temperature like in June? The week of the 13th onwards would be ideal if it's reasonably warm. We can go later though if necessary, but that week would be ideal.

Are there beaches there for my wife to laze on? It does seem so from some of the pics I've seen, but I'd like to be certain.

Any recommendations for places to stay with easy access to the lake/beach and a bus stop to Kaprun. Lake & beach probably more important than bus though.

Any other info about ZaS in summer gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lager, June should be nice. It can rain of course but when the sun is out it'll be warm (70s & 80s). You might strike lucky and get a sunny week. Loads of places around the lake to get horizontal. I like the open air pool. You lie on the grass, dip into the pool or the lake and there's a nice cafe bar on site. Worth renting bikes as there are loads of very nice bike paths going through to places like Saalfelden and Maria Alm one way or Kaprun the other. Sailing school is at the Kaprun end of the lake and easy done by bike.

Hotels in town can be noisy at night so I prefer staying up nearer the ski lifts. Places like the Berner are v good. Short walk into town.

For getting to/from the glacier I honestly think you'd be best off with a hire car. There is public transport but it'll feel like a bit of a schlep frankly (especially with gear and small person in tow).

Tons of stuff to do - recommend Krimml Falls, The Wildpark zoo, drive up the Grossglockner Strasse, golf, flying and definitely try and take in the ice cave at Werfen. Good to have a car for such things. Salzburg day trips are best done by train. Further afield, I think The Eagle's Nest is a must.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did ZaS at spring bank a few years ago. The snow was great until about 1pm then it got too slushy. We stayed at a hotel opposite the Grand (name escapes me!) that was ok. What sort of budget are you looking at (Hotel, pension, apartment or youth hostel?)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lager, according to http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/tickets_prices/ the Glacier is closed between 2nd & 19th June 2009
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B wrote:
I did ZaS at spring bank a few years ago. The snow was great until about 1pm then it got too slushy. We stayed at a hotel opposite the Grand (name escapes me!) that was ok. What sort of budget are you looking at (Hotel, pension, apartment or youth hostel?)

Probably an apartment. Last time we went half board my son struggled to hold on until 6:30 for meals (he's a v.v. hungry boy). An apartment makes it easier for getting food ready for him. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here in Austria summer typically breaks sometime in May. I can remember 2000 when Easter was late (3rd week April) summer broke early and everyone was running around in bikinis & shorts. As the glacier is closed most of June I'd recommend late May - the snow is likely to be better than June and you should see the beginning of summer.

http://sommer.zellamsee-kaprun.com/summer/activities/en/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lager, sorry to hear about your aborted trip to Schladming. We were there last week actually!

In Zell, we have had fab hot sunny weeks un June, and also cloudy and wet days, it's a lot about the luck of the draw weather wise, but certainly you have a good chance of good weather. There are grassy beach areas (i.e. not like a real beach in the sandy sense of the word, but arguably nicer, as hey, no sand!) in Zell Am See and at Thumersbach on the other side of the lake, and also at Schuettdorf, which is a bit of a dormitory satellite about 5 minutes from Zell itself. The beach area at Zell also has a pool set into the lawned area with water slides etc. and there is a mini water park just by Bruck with more in the way of slides etc. which I guess the kids will enjoy.

As per Phil_D though, it doesn't look like the glacier will be open for skiing in the week you have suggested. When it is open in summer though (i.e. spring before the closure or summer after it), you can usually get some good skiing in the mornings up until about 1pm when the sun really gets to work. Would agree though that you need a hire car. The glacier buses in summer are a bit sporadic.

There are loads of other things to do though, the cycle path around the lake is nice and flat although long, you can hire sailing boats or little motor boats, Krimml falls are spectacular (you can go by car or train), and basically all the other things that Bode Swiller has mentioned.

June is also relatively quiet (but with enough going on), as most of our middle eastern guests don't arrive until late July and August.

Whatever you decide, have a fab holiday!

D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy