Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Injury on piste - the hidden costs

Poster: A snowHead
The small print is key here. Just by chance - and mainly thanks to this thread! - I took a look at the small print for hannou's competitor carte neige. She's racing in the British Schoolgirls Races in Flaine on Monday and Tuesday.

And guess what - hidden away in the barely legible microscopic print is a clause that stipulates that she is covered for all amateur competition racing in France - as long as it's ESF or French Ski Federation organised! In this case the races - although they are taking place in France with the course being set by the ESF - is not covered. I know, because I rang them to double check.

BL$¤@&!*y insurance companies !!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, if you are having this sort of trouble how are normal holiday makers like me going to work it out? especially as I'm only fluent in restaurant French.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would like to say that the piste rescue and ambulance services in Chamonix are excellent. Fiance (then girlfriend) tore a knee ligament back in 2003 and was treated impeccably. The piste rescue guys asked if I had insurance, which I confirmed and then they proceeded to call the ambulance. Not until the end did they ask for a credit card, by which time the other half was being loaded onto the ambulance. Likewise, the hospital didn't request payment until she was back out in a wheelchair a couple of hours later.

Most impressed. And no queues!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
masopa, me too. The treatment my family has received for (thankfully minor) injuries in France has been excellent, with no questions asked.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, I agree with ashton parker, if this could trip you up, what chance do most of us have, still it's slightly reassuring to know that French insurers are as much umbrella salesman as UK ones. After making 3 requests for claim forms to Direct Travel I can now fill in the (4) forms which I eventually obtained by email. Then I can settle down and compose a response to the VT Tourism Office about my experiences.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not so sure what I'd do in Europe, but living in Canada, If I broke my colerbone in the US, (or had some other non-life threatening non-loss of conciousness injury), I would just make sure everything was lined up and come home before heading in to Emerge.

PS When I broke my shoulder (displaced fracture of collar bone and crushed Glenoid) they didn't do anything except put it in a sling anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost, presumably, it was a more serious injury that did for you (?) snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, ashton parker, it's a little different for race skiing... in the meantime I'm trying to get hold of the policy proper for the standard carte neige.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, Ta, Though I have heard a rumour that if a policy holder needs help it is a French speaking (only) service? I have emailed you because that $8@%&& woman who hit me has ended my skiing for this season. Have to cancel with you. Still on narcotic painkillers (bliss). Got another bagful from GP. Slip down very nicely with can of Desperados. Did you get my 2 emails?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny, PG is off in Flaine now and may not have internet access. He's back home on Tuesday evening. You might have to wait for a reply. Sorry to hear your injuries will keep you away from BSM in April.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyone with experience of rescue/medical attention in Austria, Switzeralnd, or the US?

My son broke his shoulder skiing in US a few years ago. He was stretchered down and had first aid on the mountain all free of charge - this is all done by volunteers. We drove him to the hospital which took copies of our insurance details and we went ahead from there - no problem. A few days later he fell in the condo and we had to call an ambulance. The police arrived first, armed, and checked us out before the ambulance crew were allowed in! Back to the hospital where the treatment was again first class. We got a bill from the ambulance service about 4 months later which we just sent to the insurance company - we didn't get a bill from the police!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At Christmas the charge for recovery from the piste in La Rosiere was 280 euros, but there was no insistence on cash immediately, a bill was given, and payment the next day was accepted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The missus got free first aid in the mountain station in Laax (Switzerland) last year. Only a wrist injury that was bandaged up for support, but it took a little while and as I say, no charge. Not sure what the charges would be for something more in Switzerland - or for something equally minor in other countries.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
please excuse the short post and prob appaling spelling but i have nothing but praise for the piste patrol; carte niege and the medical centre here in Tignes! On my third trip down the piste on my first day i have managed to either snap my cruciate and medial ligaments, or very badly sprained them tho i lean to the former as my knee is rather floppy without the bracing i now possess! I was taken off the slope on a sledge, put into an ambulance, taken to the medical centre which was all covered by my carte niege or would have been 250euros, and then my medical treatment cost the same again and again is covered by e111 and private ins. All I am waiting for now is my insurance company to tell me the repat details before comming home. Rather annoyed as weather is superb!

Meanwhile IanB is having a fab time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrr @ French keyboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DZJ1978, that's bad luck - hope the damage isn't as bad as you fear.
snow conditions
DZJ1978, I was in Tignes the week before my collar bone got fractured in Val T-wish I had stayed there! About to send off my claim form and 15 supporting docs covering expenditure! Good luck with the knee, time to look forward to next winter (I know I am).
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, Thanks- yes fraid so, this home truth I received at the John Radcliffe Trauma Unit in Oxford last wednesday, mailed PG same day-have heard nothing? I thought (mistakenly it seems) that I would get over this really quickly. Seems like I turned into an old fart when I wasn't looking wink
ski holidays
Have written to Tourist Office in VT. You can read letter on http://spaces.msn.com/members/sunshack/
latest report
snowbunny, lost touch with this thread until now. Did you PM or email me?
ski holidays
PG, Emailed you on 26/1, then again 29/1, then posted info into this thread page on 30/1.kuwait_ian, said you had gone to Flaine, waited for reply........ Puzzled
latest report
snowbunny, very sorry about that.... no sign at all. I get about 800 messages, mostly spam, every day - when I've been away it's a horrendous job sorting them. I have an automatic programme but it does make mistakes.
snow conditions
have read the letter... such a shame that your holiday was spoilt
hope you recover fully for next season and have a better trip to a different resort...
snow conditions
PG, I should have been sending you some money about now, instead, I am trying to jolly along the insurer-to give me some. Would you like me to resend my cancel mail from 26 Jan?
ski holidays
snowbunny, please! which dates were they?
snow report
mountain mad, Thanks for your good wishes. I will be back on snow, though I will struggle to get any skiing before next winter. I am seriously looking for a device that can repel any out of control idiot who has my fragile middle aged body in their target zone. Backpack mounted tazer? or how about a rucksack missile launcher? I would settle for a personal force field - Any snowhead designers out there? snowHead
snow conditions
PG, 4th-8th March. Email is on its way from wanadoo-3rd time lucky? None of the emails bounced back.
snow report
PG wrote:
We have a medical ID card these days, the "carte vitale". When I pay the doctor his 20 euros he sticks the card in his machine and the state reimbursement goes into my bank account, very little delay involved. Same at the chemists. The percentage that is not reimbursable is covered by a supplementary insurance policy, a "mutuelle", which many people have in France.

I was suprised as Pete at the treament the first poster received. In principal they have no right to refuse to treat you or evacuate you and you could contact the police or gendarmerie and log a complaint for not assisting a person in danger. It is a very serious charge. They do have a right to recover their expenses at a later time although whether that extends to kidnapping your ski equipment I seriously doubt.

Just a point on the mutuelle, this rarely covers 100% of all expenses as the cost of treatment often exceeds the reimbursable costs. This is especially true in big cities like Paris. For example when we visited a paedeatrician in Paris the charge was 65 Euros - we got about 28 Euros back from state and civil service mutuelle. Luckily in the Chartreuse the doctor charges 28 Euros - but she doesn't have an office looking over the Eiffel Tower. The carte vitale is in principal a good idea but is not universally accepted. In short, the NHS model probably badly prepares British visitors for the complexities of the French medical service.
snow report
davidof, Just to clarify, I was not treated until the money (cash) arrived. An xray was taken that's all. Treatment was eventually achieved by me handing my UK bank cash card and PIN over to a member of my party who went to a cash machine. Until then, I was left alone with the only visitations being to ask for money. A Spanish doctor skier who attended me at the accident scene was unhappy with the amount of time that the piste patrol took to arrive. 15 minutes was quoted to me as the delay time for under 200 yards from their building (within sight). The piste patrol did not ask me for money, they simply put on my skis and left. I followed on sometime later on a stretcher, unaware of my loss. Although I was conscious I could not turn my head or feel my arms. Piste patrol could have notified me of their intended actions, but chose not to. It would appear to be up to the visitor to VT to carry enough (cash) to meet all circs, regardless of insurance/rights as Eu citizen/E111/whatever.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After I complained in writing to VT Tourist Office, one of the replies received has been from Service des Pistes de la Vallee des Belleville. I have only translated a bit of the letter, but just that bit contains a king sized porker. They have denied skiing off on my skis, and claim that any damage done was a result of the accident. Funny that, perhaps my partner of 22 years was gobsmacked by viewing a lunchtime hallucination (pre alcohol). and I quote " He (piste secours staff) just jumped in your bindings and skied off before I could stop him" . amazing, a hallucination with dematerialisation properties. These people make me want to throw up, how arrogant can you get. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
snowbunny, does sounds an odd thing to do though. What did he do with his own skis? And if he carried them, why not do the opposite - use his own skis to go back down, carrying yours? I mean the chances of his boots fitting your bindings can't be too great. Have I missed something?
Puzzled
snow conditions
PG, You are right, it is odd. As I was horizontal and unable to view the activity, I have only the somewhat stunned statement from my nearest and dearest to go on. I believe that at least 2 piste secours staff turned up with a skidoo. I know that I was towed behind a skidoo for all of 75 metres to their HQ. I do know that it is possible to slip on a pair of skis since a ski teacher in Les Arcs once gave me his 203's while he tested out my 190's (he could then be heard cursing all over the hill). We had different shoe sizes.
But for VT my anger remains along with the damage to my skis, their lies are pathetic and do nothing to restore their credibility.
ski holidays
We are planning our fourth visit to Val Thorens in January 2006 (We being a group of 4 familys 16 skiers in total) However, having read Ski Bunnys experiences we are now re-considering if we want to visit VT again.
So please let us know the outcome of your very detailed letter to the resort. This year when buying our lift passes we were asked by the staff if we thought our insurance was good enough? We thought this was just a sales pitch for Carte Neige! Perhaps we now know what the question really meant.......
snow report
boredsurfin, To date I have had responses from the Quality Dept of the Tourist Office-summary: We think we have a nice resort. The Lift Company Setam-summary :Our refund system works just fine if you buy Carte Neige, if you don't have insurance ( ie:if you have your own ins) you can post your pass to another insurance co and here's the address. I am still working on translating the Service des Pistes letter, and will post up any more outrageous porkers for public amusement. The stated aim of the Tourist Office letter sent to me, and the subsequent letters received from the other orgs in VT was to give me a better opinion of their Resort, so far they have not been successful. Having been in Tignes directly before arriving in VT, I do believe that their piste safety management and slope preparation was to a much higher standard than VT. For a family group I believe that Tignes could be safer. snowHead
ski holidays
snowbunny, Thanks for that, Although we were there in a quiet week in January I felt that the main runs were far too busy, ironically where you were hit is one of the areas I thought really did need some speed control that was enforced ie. not just the signs. The other irony in your letter was your comments not related to your injury. Last year 2004, the guys at the Prosneige ski school (which we highly reccomend) said that the resort was trying to move upmarket and discourage groups of heavy drinking scandi's (I think this means Scandinavians) Smile that disturb the resort at night, Obviously another failure or change of direction for this year.
ski holidays
I was talking to my postman last week, and his wife had seriously injured ker knee in La Plagne in February. I asked him whether he had to stump up any cash for her rescue and treatment. He said that they weren't asked for any cash because the piste rescuers immediately "kept her skis as a deposit". His insurance covered all ths costs involved.
snow report
boredsurfin, Which week in January were you there? It is good to read that another skier feels the same way about that bit of VT hill. Crossing that area was a challenge, needing many adjustments to direction and speed each time. As for the p**s heads, the all night yelling was one aspect, but I really did not enjoy picking my through empty beer bottles,vomit,urine and s**t each morning to go skiing.
Hywel, The taking of skis by secours staff as a ransom is a common practice in France. The letter I received from Setam explained to me that this action was taken "To protect the skis from theft" hhmmm yeah right, then I got to the bit where they claim they did'nt ski off on them...my other half had a Victor Meldrew moment there ( For all non UK snowheads- "I don't believe it"- in gobsmacked tone of voice)

The "You must pay us cash" mantra seems to be most common in 3 Vallees. I propose that resorts should publish their business practices along with their lift ticket prices at the start of each season.
ski holidays
snowbunny, We were there 21 - 29 January, as I said a quiet week with good snow (and -20c )eveywhere in france, yet VT seemed incredibly busy. I really would not like to be there in the school holidays. The main part of the 'village piste from the Novotel down to the chairlifts needs some sort of physical control to calm down the speed.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, We were there 15-22 Jan, snow was like concrete, very sunny, tons of rocks showing through on Cime de Caron-and just as I got hurt, it started snowing ! And crowds, the area at the top of the beginners slope/bottom of Place Caron draglifts was always a seething mass of people, the type of crowds seen when an event is on at a resort but skiing in all directions/all speeds-purgatory! Shocked
latest report
I'm guessing most people don't routinely think about the cost of getting hurt (thank goodness). So far, my bills from doctors, ambulance, trauma center, tests, etc has come to 25,634.07 EUR Shocked Interestingly, I was never asked to pay during the "event" nor was I even asked for insurance information. I'm not sure why, perhaps the severity of the incident? At any rate, I'm very grateful I have insurance because if I didn't I'd be selling all my skiing and climbing gear...and likely one of my children to pay for it all! Laughing
snow report
snowbunny, I am really appalled at your experience. I think I've said that before. I've never heard of anything like this before, holding your skis until you pay is "normal", and reasonable if you conisder the "flight risk" and the likelihood of the skis being rented. However I really do hope you get somewhere with this - their behaviour is disgusting. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy