Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots get very wet inside

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My boots get very wet inside (Head Edge 10+) - the shell of the boot is clear so it is easy to see inside, and the whole inside around the toe has beads of water in it like condensation on an old window. The inners of my boot too get very wet so much so that if you put your fingers in there and feel around they come out with a sheen of wetness.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm a sweaty devil or because the boot allows snow/wet in. I have to have the toe clips quite loose for comfort purposes (otherwise I get a real nasty pain on the top of my foot) so I though snow was getting in through the top seam, but lots of other areas of my boot get quite wet (e.g behind the calf muscle) so I suspect it may be because i'm just a bit sweaty (gross I know!).

Any one with experience of similar and got any tips to share - e.g certain socks or fabrics? At the moment I remove the boot inner after each days skiing, put them near the radiator use Dry-Zones to dry them out so at least I start each day with dry boots.

I'm about to embark on 10 days in whistler so would like to have a solution or options to try for when I'm there
Thanks folks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I seem to recall another thread about head boots not being "waterproof" - or was it Atomic...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you put the bottoms of your trousers over the tops of your boots? if not try that and it should keep out the snow, unless you're skiing deep powder and falling a lot!

otherwise it's probably just sweat Embarassed and you should delete this thread immediately to avoid further shame!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Yes, I think it was Head boots, not 100% sure though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fleetelise, your sock odour might give a clue unless you wear merino socks. My advice would be to get in early enough to bag that space on the heated boot rack, or to pull out the liners and take them up to your room to dry them out if the pong allows! This is advice from a sweaty footed individual, although spring skiing I'm sure water gets in too (Mine are clear shelled Salomons)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fleetelise,IMHO VERY Likely to be sweat rather than leaks, as unless you are wading through slushy puddles there really isn't that much 'water' around to get in.

As suggested make sure you dry our boots well overnight, and change/wash your socks every day. After that just enjoy the satisfaction that comes from knowing your feet can clear a boot locker room in five minutes flat Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can recommend silicone mastic and duck tape. My Head boots were like a colander.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My OH uses Head 10.8, they leak rather a lot around the toes. Regular removal of liners for drying, plus copious amounts of Duck Tape on the toe box works okay.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok I stand corrected on the Heads being prone to leaks. Point re the pungency of sweaty socks remains unchallenged though Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks All.

I wear fresh socks each day. I was wondering about bodging the boots with some mastic so thanks to snowbunny for confirming my thoughts - and advice on areas which I should concentrate on?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fleetelise, Yep - the bits that leak Toofy Grin

(someone will be along with a more sensible answer shortly....) Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why not remove the liners and try immersing the toe of the boot in a bucket of water. That should show up if there are any leaks..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hors Piste
Location: Out thereI seem to recall another thread about head boots not being "waterproof" - or was it Atomic...

I don't recall any manufacturer adverising the fact that there boots were 100% waterproof?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try wearing them outside, it's where the Snow is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alpinequeen, Your punctuation needs work. You have ended a statement with a question mark? (I've done it too, but only in a, like, ironic way)

Perhaps you could have another go? snowHead
snow report
"With more than 250,000 sweat glands each, your feet are among the most perspiring parts of the body. In one day, each foot can produce more than a pint of sweat!"

Shocked

A Pint of sweat!!!!

That will explain it then, I would think they don't sweat in colder weather as much
ski holidays
Probably sweat

Dipping in water for leaks would not be easy to view, better take out the linings, fill with water and see where the water comes out!
ski holidays
when were ski boots ever meant to be 100% waterproof???? the shell has a gap in it, water will get in OR out if you fill the shell

a small amount of good silicon around the toe dam should reduce the ingress by a substancial amount, also if the boot has been stretched a lot it may have collapsed downwards if care not taken so this can allow more water in....sweat is the biggest cause of wet boots, make sure you dry them out well every night as if there is moisture in between the shell and liner it can freeze and make things feel worse, condensation from hot feet in cold environment is also an issue, good pair of ski socks should help transport some of the moisture out of the boot, but most will get absorbed by the liner if they are not dried
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
when were ski boots ever meant to be 100% waterproof???? the shell has a gap in it, water will get in OR out if you fill the shell

That's the thing, it's not rocket science surely for a manufacturer to design a ski boot that keeps water and snow on the outside.
Why do we have to resort to silicone and duck tape to keep our feet dry?

Wet Feet = Cold Feet = Miserable Skiing experience.

I can buy a pair of walking boots that don't leak.

Surely some sort of flexible gasket or material (Goretex or whatever) could be incorporated into the overlap, so as to allow the shell to open still keeping the elements out.
The age old excuse of ski boots aren't supposed to be waterproof is wearing a bit thin. How many products are there that even though they open, when they are closed are perfectly waterproof.

Come on Manufacturers, sort it out.
latest report
fleetelise, so - that's helped right? perfectly ok for the old tootsies to get soaking wet, if you want dry feet try wellies! Enjoy Canada snowHead
latest report
Spyderman, Walking boots are designed to be used in conditions where liquid water will be around, while ski boots aren't.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never had wet feet, unless you count the time i fell through the snow into a sewage lake at the backside of Contamines, should i then assume they are, given that 3.5 million boots get sold each year to people that assume they are, and are maybe right to think so given the environment of their use? If so, are we to assume this is the norm? Do we all need silicone to stop this from being the case? Or maybe we are trying to fit boots to tight and having to stretch boots in length (a big no no.) for this reason, amongst others.
snow conditions
alex_heney, "liquid water"? Confused
ski holidays
alex_heney, Snow got into my boots, then melted, so wet feet. I took the liners out as soon as I finished skiing to find fresh snow on the inside. Skiing wet snow it might as well be water. It either enters as a liquid or as snow and then melts, end result is the same.
ski holidays
Spyderman, Are you suggesting Boot designers are not rocket scientists? Or simply that the guys that fit boots have made your boots leak water? I'm confused.
snow report
Wet feet is such a minor problem in my experience, we need to look at the induvidual factors behind each selection to be precise.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, My new boots have had no stretches at all and they leak like a sieve. Piles of snow on top of the liner's tongue and soaking wet feet.
Duck Tape was the only way to suppress the ingress.
When the Boots are done up there is a visible gap. It's bad design that's at fault and a bad attitude from the Manufacturers to say that they're not designed to be waterproof, well I say'' why not?'' Puzzled
ski holidays
we've ruled out incontinence right?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Are you taking the wee wee? wink Laughing

Congrats on 2,000 BTW Very Happy
snow conditions
Spyderman, OMG - it's too much - overwhelming really, 2000 posts, what can i say , thank you mum, thank you step-dad, thanks to my agent, my mistress and my dog, I love you all, sob sob, pass the hankies, here comes Anthea Turner
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
alex_heney, Snow got into my boots, then melted, so wet feet. I took the liners out as soon as I finished skiing to find fresh snow on the inside.

That's not good.

I didn't think snow would get in without melting first - it never has in mine, but maybe I'm just lucky - or maybe you are unlucky?
latest report
Spyderman, Twice the same issue, maybe you have a point, i'm yet to meet someone with this issue, might be worth a small text/report given the circumstances.
ski holidays
Didn't mean to cause arguments with this question - it would just be nice not to have wet feet.

I'll use a bit of mastic and tape to try and solve things. Like I already stated I have to take the liners out each night, if not then they'd never dry.

The boots have not been stretched in order to fit, but i do have the toe clips quite loose.

Oh, and yes theres not a lot of water around - but i certainly get little piles of snow on my instep so i thought that this was melting a little and finding a way in through the toe-seam
snow conditions
fleetelise wrote:
Didn't mean to cause arguments with this question....

I really wouldn't worry about it.... talking about soggy tootsies is distracting them from the differences between fat/skinny skis Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing
latest report
fleetelise, Taking heart from the disagreement between other posters far more learned than I, I reverse my earlier reversal of my initial position and re-assert that the soggy sox are likely to be the product of sweaty feet. Give up, face it gracefully, your tootsies are cheese city! Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a 'lads trip' earlier this year, we all sniffed each others boots to agree whose were the most pungent. I won easily, because they didn't have to pick mine up to test them [quietly proud smiley] Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Axsman, So that's what they mean by Apres Cheese.... Twisted Evil

Quote:

we all sniffed each others boots

Ever so slightly disturbing.... Shocked Shocked
latest report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
fleetelise wrote:
Didn't mean to cause arguments with this question....

I really wouldn't worry about it.... talking about soggy tootsies is distracting them from the differences between fat/skinny skis Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing

Were they fat feet or skinny feet?
ski holidays
Ahhh Scarpa, I was just thinking about you.... Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing
snow report
Axsman, bleeuuuggghhhhh!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy