Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski review - Whitedot THE ONE

Poster: A snowHead
Manufacturer: Whitedot Freeride
Model: The One
Length: 166cm
Dims: 124 / 89 / 119

Snow conditions

Day 1: 10cm of fresh (but heavyish) powder on well groomed pistes. Visibility: 1 piste marker ahead at best!

Day 2: Another 15 cm of untracked powder – still heavy. Visibility: initially none, but brightened up

Day 3: Bright sunshine, well groomed pistes, tracked powder and crud.

Skier

“Perfectly decent” is how I would describe myself. Happy to ski anything pisted and competent, if not always elegant, in European powder, wind-blown nastiness and tracked crud. Really deep stuff and I need some help from a dedicated powder ski. Usual everyday ski: Icelantic Nomad. Oh, I’m 5’6” (and a bit) and clock in at about 11.5 stone.

The review

The One, although designed as a dedicated pipe and park ski, is probably more a one ski quiver for the skier who likes piste and park with the occasional foray further afield.

At 89mm underfoot it is certainly the skinniest ski I have ridden in the last 5 years and consequently (for me) I felt the transition from edge to edge was really quick. Ski demonstrated good edge hold on piste and frankly railed both short and GS turns on a variety of pitches.

Compared to my Nomads, The One is lighter and has greater flex but, more than anything else, demonstrates a surprising amount of pop. I’m no park rat, but these were really lively over any kind of straightlined bump – this does two things: feedback from snow to skier is incredibly sensitive, which I liked, and if you are of a mind to hit 12ft kickers, you’ll have no trouble generating lift and can concentrate on your steeze! The other thing of particular note is their speed. I don’t know what Kiwi1 has put in the bases of these, but I was overtaking my two companions, one or whom is 17stone and was on a pair of 188cm skis and the other of whom was on Volk race tigers or some such thing. Fast doesn’t do the speed justice, frankly.

Day 2 of my trip saw us in Les Contamines to find some untracked and easily accessible powder-filled bowls. I have to admit that I did miss the additional float and stiffness of my Nomads in the knee-deep stuff, but The One certainly did the job, and it’s not exactly designed as a powder ski – Whitedot have alternative models for these conditions. Later in the day, however, when a lot of the good stuff was tracked out, they almost floated through the clumps and bumps – an absolute joy to ride.

Day 3 was only a morning and my skiing was hindered by the fact that I left the bar at 3am, but I was on the first lift so that I could put The One through its paces on some freshly pisted blacks. Now I’m no great fan of corduroy but The One held it’s own on this stuff although that highly responsive feedback I mentioned earlier did have the vibrations running straight through my legs and up into my pounding headache. Perhaps that’s more my problem than the skis’!

All in all, The One gave me 2 and a half days of really enjoyable riding in what were frustrating conditions (loads of powder but no visibility!). Those conditions probably meant I held back just a little from pushing the skis as hard as I could take them, but they were really fun and constantly put a smile on my face and envy on those of my companions.

Being a little softer than I am used to, I might conclude that I perhaps should have gone for the next length up, but I’m pretty happy with what was strapped to my feet.

Now I’m just looking forward to seeing what The Preacher delivers in a few weeks time – I’m taking those touring so I’ll provide feedback when I’m back home from that trip at the beginning of April.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nice one, Zammo
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Zammo. The bases on yours are ISO highspeed. The production skis have a 7000 sintered base.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, been riding my One's at a much reduced rate for a few days now (torn ACL + Meniscus), mounted 2cm back from centre they're really well balanced. I'm loving most things about the skis, theyre plenty poppy enough and give you a great feel for the snow underfoot, personally I'm not a huge fan of overdamped skis! The liveliness of the ski makes for such a manoeuvrable ride, theyre easily as quick edge to edge as my old 78mm TM's and 80mm Joystick's and hold and edge on anything apart from boilerplate, I think you a few tiny changes WDF is making for next season the ONE will be one of the best all-mountain twins on the market period!

ps yes I am a bit biased!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Length: 173cm

WhitedotFreeride One ski

Tried both the 2010 and then 2011 versions at Hemel Snowcentre:

2010 for me was a stiff ski aimed at wide pistes or more preferably off-piste areas, a good all mountain powder hound for advanced/expert skiers. The ski wanted to rip through the crud but was much more of a challenge on a slow, narrow piste.

2011 with bindings set for freeride the new One ski flexed more naturally and was considerably more reactive at all speeds and much happier and balanced than its 2010 sibling on narrow, bumpy pistes. Ski feedback was good and this was a rewarding, responsive ski.

Clearly a very versatile piece of kit and one which would definitely be on my buy list.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried the 2011 I think with the freeride mount in a 180 I think. I'd previously tried a more centrally mounted pair at Hemel and didn't quite have the sweet spot to enjoy them.

Very nice, nimble ski coped better with conditions than my legs which were still struggling to get used to alpine boots. Would be great in the bumps and moderate offpiste I suspect. Streets ahead of the Head Peak 75 rental skis I had the last run and limp home on (this is probably a weak endorsement!).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm selling a pair of the 180 2010s to make space in the quiver if anyone is interested. Will have a sale thread up this week Cool

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-11-10 23:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried both models at Hemel. I'm 5'7", 170 lbs and normally ski Atomic Nomad Blackeye Ti in 178, which are the same width as the Ones underfoot

The 2010 I found felt too short and spinny. I felt like I was standing at the bottom of a U bend and they spun rather than carved. They are also heavier than the nomads. Didnt get on with them at all (could have been the binding position)

The 2011 were a totally different feel, They were much nicer to ski and carved. Felt longer and dealt with the chop well. I could live with these easily

Also tried the Preachers in 179. WOW Loved them. They carved, engagged quickly and smoothly and blasted through crud without even noticing. Seriously considering these. They did feel heavy but despite the width not slow from side to side. Great ski for powder days

Only downside to the Whitedots as far As I see it is the graphics. Look like 60's wallpaper

Edited to correct my ailing senile memory of the ski names!!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-11-10 23:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmole wrote:

Also tried the Prophets in 179.

Preachers maybe? I think they are supposed to look like wallpaper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Fat bob. I'm going senile, yesy Preachers

Well at least they stand out on the snow!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madmole wrote:
Only downside to the Whitedots as far As I see it is the graphics. Look like 60's wallpaper

Actually I find the graphics quite inoffensive - more exciting than Head - yet not plastered with nipples.

I'm ashamed to say I've yet to get these mounted - can anyone recommend a binding for these? Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
madmole wrote:

Edited to correct my ailing senile memory of the ski names!!!

Damn, it's supposed to be more 1950s style wall paper. Wait till we move into the 1960s when everyone was tripping!!

PS thanks everyone for the comments. The changes in the flex pattern of the Ones was in direct response to public feedback so thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dot, a question (sorry for thread ressurection). I am considering buying a pair of these. I am 5 foot 8 inches, 79kgs and tried the 166 length: it was a lot of fun, but felt a little short - obviously they ski short as a twin tip, but how much more do you think the rocker affects the length? My "normal" ski length (standard piste carver, single tip, not much in the way of rocker) is generally 168cm. Do you think the 173 will be too long, or will it ski like a 168 ski? I'd go with my standard as advanced, 50% on piste, 30% off piste, 20% attempting to be in the air...

Any advice appreciated. Would be best to demo the 173s, but I've just found a rather good deal online and they don't have many pairs left!

Best regards,

Harry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Harry Flashman wrote:
how much more do you think the rocker affects the length?

Aren't the One's conventionally cambered? There's no mention of rocker on Whitedot's site, or in any reviews...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Absolutely - but I thought they had rockered tips - could well be wrong, of course!
snow report
Harry Flashman, pm sent
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, The One's are a conventional cambered twin tip without any rocker.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
Absolutely - but I thought they had rockered tips - could well be wrong, of course!

Conventional camber implies no rocker. Far as I can tell, everyone who makes rockered skis will either mention tip and tail rocker explicitly, or will use phrases like 'early rise'. Whitedot are also good as showing rocker profiles on their website.
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
Dot, a question (sorry for thread ressurection). I am considering buying a pair of these. I am 5 foot 8 inches, 79kgs and tried the 166 length: it was a lot of fun, but felt a little short - obviously they ski short as a twin tip, but how much more do you think the rocker affects the length? My "normal" ski length (standard piste carver, single tip, not much in the way of rocker) is generally 168cm. Do you think the 173 will be too long, or will it ski like a 168 ski? I'd go with my standard as advanced, 50% on piste, 30% off piste, 20% attempting to be in the air...

Any advice appreciated. Would be best to demo the 173s, but I've just found a rather good deal online and they don't have many pairs left!

Best regards,

Harry.

Don't think they're rockered. You'd be wanting something over 170 (and closer to 180) at your size, they're slalom ski size!
snow report
Chaps, thanks to you all - and you're absolutely right, they are conventionally cambered skis, just with long tips. midgetbiker - thank you very much for the advice: you guys clearly know your own skis very well, and it looks like from what you have said it's the 173 for me! Especially as The Ones apparently ski rather short.

Appreciate everyone's help. The 166 I demoed did feel fun, but as if I was slightly "underskiied". A litle too turny and not quite so stable in long carved turns...

Regards,

Harry.
snow report
To be honest have not read all the above but this is my opinion as I own a pair that I often teach on in a variety of conditions and have for about 2 months:

On piste... quite stable but useless for carving. Fine for pivoting for short radius turns.
Moguls... fine as quite soft and flexible
Off-piste... nice and enjoyable
Freestyle... hold their own.

All-round a good ski for general all mountain skiing.
ski holidays
zammo wrote:
Length: 166cm

slalom ski? Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy