Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
skiking4, Espace Killy is the best ski area I have had the pleasure to experience - so enjoy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Put a bit of another spin on this......

Fantastic ski area..... doesn't get much better. Absolutely amazing for intermediate to advanced. Not for beginners and newbies... they mess around on the nursery slope that is not much cop, in fact the top of it is nightmare for first timers. But I'll give them their due... free lift there. Amazing off piste stuff.... reds until they come out of your ears.... challenging blacks.. really challegning blacks!

Some waiting at lifts especially in Tignes area. Wasn't impressed with this at all.....

What I didn't like were the ridiculous prices, the amount of Brits their shouting loudly in English to make themselves understood.... and my usual issues with France (poor standard of accommodation Euro for Euro v Austria nad Italy, and the no apres ski party bit - I like my post ski party Austrian style!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, trip is getting near. Any snow forecasts for the coming week?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiking4

Check out http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43727 for the latest snow reports in the Espace Killy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiking4, you're 14 years old?

Please please don't do in Val d'Isere what you did in Kitzbuhel - skiing off-piste with the avalanche warning at 4, and with no awareness of the risk. This is not safe skiing in-bounds as you get in America. This can be very very dangerous.

skiking4 wrote:
2 ft of snow the day before arrival, 3 ft of snow on Tuesday, a couple of inches on Friday

skiking4 wrote:
Off piste: The couloirs to the left of C1 are amazing. Steep 40+ degree couloirs that are barely skied. The big bowl to the right of C7 is also very good. The big ditch in the middle offers some 40+ degree turns up top. The Barenbodkel (however u spell it) has some nice off piste opportunities. The many tree lined chutes to skiers left of the chair are some more 40+ degree turns while also being gladed in spots. But if you want GNARLY, then you'll have to head under the Hahnenkammbahn gondola lift, which has many different entries, all leading into a high 40 degree narrow couloir. There's not tons of gnarly, but enough for me

skiking4 wrote:
So, from Monday to Friday I was at nearby Kitzbuhel. If the avy risk was 4 at Zell am See, how come there were no warnings at Kitz? I was skiing off piste a lot and I wasn't even warned/told by any one that there was a... high... avvy risk?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="cathy"]
skiking4 wrote:
So, from Monday to Friday I was at nearby Kitzbuhel. If the avy risk was 4 at Zell am See, how come there were no warnings at Kitz? I was skiing off piste a lot and I wasn't even warned/told by any one that there was a... high... avvy risk?

Did you really say that skiking4? Unbelievably naive to write "I wan't even warned/told by anyone" . High time you learned it is your responsibility to find out all you need to know before going off-piste. Not just the avalanche risk. Do you check the weather forecasts carefully? Do you and the others you ski offpiste with carry avalanche gear? Know how to use transceivers? etc etc.

Mind you, given you are only 14, your parents also have a responsiblity to know about these things before allowing you to go off-piste. It makes me wonder how much they do know.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 3-04-09 6:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl, that was a while ago.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 26-03-19 3:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ccl wrote:

the ski domain is very large, over 300 km of ski runs in a number of different valleys and a great deal of off-piste....

If you are going to cut and paste large chunks of prose from other people's websites please have at least the courtesy to put a link to the source. Stewart Woodward was doing it last week and now you. It is getting worse than Wikipedia here.

ccl wrote:
I make no apologies

Well lets hope you do this time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiking4, apart from being the only real skier are you the only stereotype as well?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="davidof]

If you are going to cut and paste large chunks of prose from other people's websites please have at least the courtesy to put a link to the source. Stewart Woodward was doing it last week and now you. It is getting worse than Wikipedia here.[/quote]

The info i cut & pasted started
Quote:
Info from Piste Hors website
is this not good enough Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, It's annoying to be caught out like this Embarassed Guilty though of no more than an oversight - but fair enough, you don't know my academic background so you wouldn't necessarily know it was just that. I wonder, though I can't be sure, if that is the first time I have ever forgotten to give the source of a quotation. New topic for discussion? Does the internet encouraged sloppy writing practices? Well, maybe not, the helmet threads are boring enough. wink

I have added the link.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiking4 wrote:
ccl, that was a while ago. Now I do know about having to ask for the avvy risk (I thought it would be listed on the lift towers).

And I was with a guest family. Not my own. I was just following them. The dad of the family was an expert skier-- skiing steeps like a green. But they laughed at me when I asked them about avalanches off piste.

And my family knows zip. I'm like the only real skier in my family.

Er, 2 months ago Confused It's not good enough just to ask what the avalanche risk is, you then have to know what to do with that information and assess where you will be skiing.

The dad of the family may think he is 'an expert skier' but he doesn't sound like it to me!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
[quote="davidof]
The info i cut & pasted started
Quote:
Info from Piste Hors website
is this not good enough Puzzled

I noted that. However it is common practise and polite to link (like web, hyperlinks and all that) to the source and not cut and paste a whole article. Just as it is common practise for non ski instructors not to go to the Espace Killy to teach people to ski on the black.

I'm all for fair use and wouldn't have mentioned it as PisteHors isn't a money making venture but this was the second oversight from the Espace Killy Krew.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ccl wrote:
davidof, It's annoying to be caught out like this

As you probably know I'm pretty citation and I only read a very small % of threas on SH - it was just that Stewart had already cut and pasted a whole article which although he mentioned where it came from didn't offer a link.

Thanks for the message anyway and happy quoting Happy
snow report
skiking4 wrote:
ccl, The dad of the family was an expert skier-- skiing steeps like a green. But they laughed at me when I asked them about avalanches off piste.

Great role models then. rolling eyes
snow conditions
ccl, yep best role models ever rolling eyes
latest report
skiking4,

So how is the holiday going Puzzled

Enjoying it Puzzled Easy Puzzled Hard Puzzled Hows the cliff jumping Puzzled skied all the resort yet Puzzled
snow conditions
I attended both of Henry's Avalanche Talks. Espace Killy is a huge place for sure. Like from one point of the resort you see some lifts all the way in the distance... and that's part of the Espace Killy.
Blue skies though each day. it's pretty cool resort. Just the lower areas and some off piste would like a bit of snow.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-03-19 3:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skiking4 wrote:
Okay, here's my more specific question:

Does snow fall in April?
If no snow, is it just going to be like Eastern US (if you haven't been there, its just a huge sheet of ice) in the morning and wet spring snow in the afternoon?
How does the off piste compare in challenge to Kitzbuhel, or to Mott Canyon in Heavenly, CA?
Any recommendations of guides? Thinking of going with my tour guide's mountain guides (Esprit Ski), but that's €141 for 9 AM to 5 PM, and maybe it's better something more like 9 AM to 12 or 1 PM for, as said by welshflyer, €55.

Hi Mr. Modest, if you think that you are a 15ft cliff drop kinda skier, you might find the Esprit guide a touch on the tame side. Razz You may venture onto some stiff reds with him. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Mollerski, lol figured that out. I have little kids running around my chalet 24/7 too.
snow report
dam vacation over Sad

heading back to london tomorrow
snow report
The boy doesn't get irony , does he?
ski holidays
ccl, Yeah you are spot on -most of these guys from the so called -"land of the free" - don't -ironic -ain't it. I do hope skiking4 is receiving some form of therapy for his/her condition. Take a look at "know the steeps of the east" -definate signs of trainspottingitis - imagine having a beer in a bar in say 5 or 6 years time and bumping into him or her you would end up suicidal in 10/15 minutes. Even more worrying with his enormous sense of false confidence - this person could be a future president of the good old USA - stranger thing's have happened -remember Nixon -god forbid!!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
ccl, but he does at least make me chuckle
latest report
i did some stupid things in Kitzbuhel. I didn't do the same in Val D'Isere.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 26-03-19 3:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skiking4 wrote:
I at least learned from my mistakes.

Well, I hope that includes learning some becoming modesty from the mistake of sounding off so conceitedly in public Laughing

By the way, how did the rest of the family enjoy Val d'Isère? Did you actually ski with them and give them the benefit of your superior knowledge, skill and wisdom? It is a gracious thing to do, to help others improve and will have made you a better person (pointless irony again rolling eyes )

Lay off? You brought it on yourself, son.
latest report
Don't let it wind you up. Somehow, I can see Darwinian Theory coming into play at some stage - sooner rather than later judging by some of the posts. However the concern is that Darwinism doesn't take into consideration other skiers who may be adversely affected by such people skiing in places and at times they shouldn't be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree that SK4 isn't the most modest guy and left himself open for some abuse, but he is only 14 and and is at least making some effort to learn and stay safe...he already knows more about off piste safety than I did when I was 14 (having only skied in "the good old USA")...who knows, he may really have his merde together by the time he hits his 20s which is a lot better than many...
ski holidays
ccl wrote:
skiking4 wrote:
I at least learned from my mistakes.

By the way, how did the rest of the family enjoy Val d'Isère? Did you actually ski with them and give them the benefit of your superior knowledge, skill and wisdom? It is a gracious thing to do, to help others improve and will have made you a better person (pointless irony again rolling eyes )

Since 95% of my skiing was on piste, this allowed a lot of time to be skiing with my family.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 26-03-19 3:53; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
skiking4, Your parents must be very proud.
snow report
snowbandit wrote:
ccl, Yeah you are spot on -most of these guys from the so called -"land of the free" - don't -ironic -ain't it.

Sorry, what is consider "modesty" in one culture is consider "insecurity" in another. Pop over to epicski.com, you'll find your modesty belongs to the trash bin.

Granted, this is a UK based forum.

Maybe he didn't get it. Or maybe, he didn't want to "get" it.

Yes, this comes from another (transplanted) yank.
snow conditions
The ramblings of another lunatic Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy