Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Wall in Porte de Soleil?

Poster: A snowHead
FlyingStantoni, you rated the "wall" over Torgon quite highly, I seem to remember. How does it compare with la Chavanette?

ctskifam, don't you have staff to retrieve prereleased skis for you? Very Happy wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph, back then I was the staff!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conversely on an unpisted run you do have the chance of stopping quite soon on a large mogul.

RobW, in my experience, really steep snow doesn't actually get mogulled.

From what I've read in this thread so far though, my guess is that it's only the initial bumps on Chavanette that are upsetting most of the people (the ones who shouldn't be there anyway) and not the actual gradient as it seems to be relatively tame.

I'm sure fitness helps against injuries and mistakes too though. I skied some 1000m vertical, mogully dotted blacks and dotted reds in St Anton and Zurs last year which were not much steeper than say 35 degrees but were just so relentless that they each felt like you'd undergone an endurance test by the time you'd finished. There were occasionally folk on those runs who were really not enjoying themselves and looked like they were going to spend the best part of an hour getting down them. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ctskifam, good picture - the cliffs I were referring to are the outcrops that go right over to the line of the chair. FlyingStantoni tells us that the run has now been moved right (as we look) to avoid the prospect of making an unwitting journey over one of them on ones derriere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.virtualtahoe.com/pressbox/SlideLibrary/Winter/Gunbarrel.jpg

Gunbarrel @ Heavenly.

It's the wide run at the top which is about 30 degrees before taking the middle treelined path and steepening to its steepest part which is at least 35 degrees before mellowing out to 20-25 degrees to the base. It is considered one of the harder mogul endurance runs in the US. It's like a harder version of the Swiss Wall, except the Swiss Wall has a higher potential injury rate probably due to hazards and the lack of good skiers skiing it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vipa wrote:
...the drop in to the Argentierre glacier at the top of Grand Montetts, Chamonix....

The top of the wall is steeper. When you look down it you see a mile of the same all the way down.

How does that sound? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph wrote:
FlyingStantoni, you rated the "wall" over Torgon quite highly, I seem to remember. How does it compare with la Chavanette?

Personally I'd rate the Torgon Wall as another step up from the Swiss Wall. It's not quite as steep, but it's got a horrible camber to it - so if you can't ski the bumps in the fallline on the top section for more than 2-3 bumps. As a result the bumps are terribly misshapen.

There's a (big) tree in the middle of the run about a third of the way down - which, of course, is a complete skier magnet.
andyph wrote:
ctskifam, don't you have staff to retrieve prereleased skis for you? Very Happy wink

They were carrying his gin and tonic!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross wrote:
Conversely on an unpisted run you do have the chance of stopping quite soon on a large mogul.

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

At least on a groomed run you have a fighting chance of self-arresting. Try that on the Swiss Wall and there's a good chance you'll ragdoll. You can also get air off the bumps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
ctskifam, good picture - the cliffs I were referring to are the outcrops that go right over to the line of the chair. FlyingStantoni tells us that the run has now been moved right (as we look) to avoid the prospect of making an unwitting journey over one of them on ones derriere.

(Agree, nice picture). That's the one.

As I understand it, the run used to extend left (as we look at the picture) nearly as far as the peak on the left as we look at it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiking4 wrote:
http://www.virtualtahoe.com/pressbox/SlideLibrary/Winter/Gunbarrel.jpg

It's like a harder version of the Swiss Wall, except the Swiss Wall has a higher potential injury rate probably due to hazards and the lack of good skiers skiing it.

Now I see what you mean Laughing Laughing

That first photo only showed up to the top of the first ridge!

It's certainly an endurance version of the Swiss Wall!

Agree with you that the Swiss Wall has got a high injury hazard. We only go near it if it's quiet. Never on a Friday given that changeover day is a Saturday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni, only one to go and you have broken the record for most consecutive posts by a single snowHead

oops - sorry... Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
moffatross wrote:

I didn't say that (although I don't disagree that it might sometimes be true) Toofy Grin I was quoting RobW. wink

What I wrote was "in my experience, really steep snow doesn't actually get mogulled."

Bladdy quote unquote [bold] [/italics] misadventures. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni wrote:
saikee wrote:
It is not really my intention to challenge you or skiking4 but I think for the benefit of the others we should be accurate with the gradient.

...ties in with some SH comments that it was not possible to see the bottom from standing near the edge.

saikee - the "not possible to see the bottom from standing near the edge" isn't really accurate. The top of the wall is convex and has a lovely vertigious quality to it. It's very hard to get "near the edge" without actually being committed to skiing the thing. About 3m from the edge always looks much worse than being at the edge. But it's not somewhere you want to be on foot - or even retreating from.

I'd put the very top section of the wall as being just under the 40 degree mark for the first 20m. It's a sustained 35 degrees for about half the run before mellowing out gradually to around 15 degrees at the very bottom.

snowball is spot on with his observation that the bumps affect the apparent steepness. The first turn, in particular, isn't something you want to mull on for too long - primarily because you'll see the difficulties that everyone else is having.

Personally, I don't like andyph's advice. The edge of the wall isn't somewhere to be without your skis on. There are few cases in such terrain where not having skis on wins over having skis on.

skiking4 - I stand corrected and you have my apologies. The photo still doesn't look anything like that vertical though! Toofy Grin I'll check the Wall's vertical when I'm there next.

BTW - red 27 is being a tad dramatic. (I'm told that) In the "old days" the run extended further to skier's right and cut back in left - so that, if you fell, you could go over the cliff band (which is certainly further than 200 yards). This is aparently the source of the legend that every year 2-3 people died on the run. The right hand edge of the run has now been pulled back so that it avoid the cliff band. If you're skiing above the cliffs now you will have ducked the rope and be skiing off-piste.

Agreed with most of that - the top must be about 40 degrees for the first 20 or 30 meters and because the approach is like a 'roll over' rather than a 'drop off' you can not see over the edge, but of course you can see the bottom, it probably turns in to a long tiresome 30 degree mougul black that gradually becomes less steep.

On my board I did it in soft snow - no problem (done it twice and it was fun), when icy it is a biatch (done it twice) and best to traverse out to the sides.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, I don't recall the run ever going far enough out to skier's right to make the cliffs a problem. That could just be memory issues but IIRC, the "piste" has been much the way it is now since I first set eyes on it in 1988.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The wall is great run, as you need to ski it rather than get down it to enjoy it. Just remember you don't have to do it all in one go down the rut line. IIRC there are some 'nice' mogul runs to be found from the chair below and to the right of the wall to warm up. I personally prefer the blacks by the coupe du monde.

Having been to the PDS at Easter a few times I have seen the remains of big slides from the cliffs to the left of the wall (looking up), would imagine these have been controlled slides.
latest report
rayscoops, that is definitely NOT 40 degrees.
ski holidays
rayscoops, oh dude - you had easy - moguls the size of Volkswagen Beetles were all I remember. One false move and it was two bumps on the noggin and wake up in Morgins hossy Skullie
latest report
FlyingStantoni, how does the wall compare with the top section of Bouquetin (sp?) on Mt Chery (apart from being longer)?
snow report
just for some more comparison it makes Mont Fort in Verbier look like Brentwood alps. Steeper than Tortin too and with much worse consequences
snow conditions
red 27, yeah, but Tortin is for [Sean Connery accetnt]pussies[/Sean Connery accent]
ski holidays
skiking4 wrote:

The pictures don't show the top of the run. Well, the first picture (taken from afar) does - if I recall correctly it's at the interface between the shadow and sunshine lines. I've never been down it but have been up the lift which goes up the face. We saw a guy at the bottom starting to climb up the face, and then saw his ski about ten feet down from the top. He'd taken a tumble and fallen the entire run down.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
red 27, yeah, but Tortin is for [Sean Connery accetnt]pussies[/Sean Connery accent]

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
FlyingStantoni, how does the wall compare with the top section of Bouquetin (sp?) on Mt Chery (apart from being longer)?

Tricky question and something the other people might want to pitch into.

The top of the Swiss Wall is definitely steeper.

Personally, I think I'd rate Bouquetin, the Torgon Wall and (probably) the bottom section of Renard (Plaine Dranse) all as technically more demanding than the Swiss Wall. It's much harder to ski any of them well than it is to ski the Swiss Wall well - primarily because the Swiss Wall is all about BIG bumps.

Bouquetin has the tricky narrow section; the Torgon Wall has the strange camber and the bottom section of Renard always has bumps that are twice the size when you're on them as they appear on the lift.

None of them, though, have the "consequences" of the Swiss Wall.
snow report
skiking4 wrote:

how can you possibly tell from my photos Puzzled we are only talking about the top 20 or 30 meters or so and that area can only be seen from the long distance photo which I took from the flat section at the end of the run !
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
rayscoops, oh dude - you had easy - moguls the size of Volkswagen Beetles were all I remember. One false move and it was two bumps on the noggin and wake up in Morgins hossy Skullie

the bumps were not too big when I did it, but I am sure with time my memoery of the bumps will also be the size of VWB's too wink , I found Tortins much more tiring (we named it 'Moguls from Hell') and as suggested by a few posters, it is perhaps the conditions that make a run easy or hard. Last week in Hinteglemm I could hardly get down a steep blue at 8.30 am becasue it was frozen and I could not hold my edge on it, and would have much preferred to have popped down a mogul field Very Happy
latest report
When we were there last season, there were a group of blind skiers in the resort. The wall being a bit much for me then, I took the chair down. However I watched a blind skier being directed from a guide behind him shouting "droite" or "gauche" and so directing him around the moguls and safely down. I watched in amazement as the blind skier negotiated his way safely following the directions, and he wasn't slow either Shocked

Though, maybe there is something to be said for not being able to see how steep it is and how big the moguls are snowHead
ski holidays
Bluebell, hang on - a blind dude was going down the wall just with someone shouting right or left from behind?

Are you sure?? - remember lots of people where dark glasses when they're skiing Cool
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Bouquetin has the tricky narrow section; the Torgon Wall has the strange camber and the bottom section of Renard always has bumps that are twice the size when you're on them as they appear on the lift.

None of them, though, have the "consequences" of the Swiss Wall.
Only qualified to comment on the lovely Bouquetin Little Angel. Personally I find the drop off more intimidating than the narrow bit near the bottom (which I just find an exercise in rhythm). Agree that falling on the Wall would be more regrettable, though. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Absolutely sure! As I said, there was a whole group of them around that week. I watched in full admiration as this chap was guided down from instructions behind him. Some of them had ear pieces and I assume were receiving instructions via this too. We also saw them on other pistes of varying levels. The most embarrassing thing is being overtaken by one Embarassed
latest report
red 27, sounds like you had your eyes shut with fear half of the time yourself wink
ski holidays
Bluebell, Maybe that's the answer to conquering steep pistes then. I might try it blinfolded, although I'm not sure I'd trust any of my mates enough to ski behind me shouting, "To me... to you..."
ski holidays
Bluebell, wow! I guess the next thing is an Assistance Dog on a snowboard!

rayscoops, ALL the time as I recall... My descent involved the "Traverse of Shame" bouncing over the moguls from one side of the piste to t'other desperatly tring to lose height and wanting it to be over and hating myself for starting skiing at all and then at the bottom me and my mates all back-slap each other and say "yeah, not too bad really - a Red I would say... Shall we get a beer?" Laughing
latest report
red 27 wrote:
My descent involved the "Traverse of Shame" bouncing over the moguls from one side of the piste to t'other desperatly tring to lose height and wanting it to be over and hating myself for starting skiing at all and then at the bottom me and my mates all back-slap each other and say "yeah, not too bad really - a Red I would say... Shall we get a beer?" Laughing

Oh good, it's not just me that does that then... Embarassed Laughing
latest report
Schuss in Boots, ah buy was 20 year ago... Nowadays, i would just say "let's give that red run a miss and get a beer" snowHead
latest report
red 27, That'll be the wisdom of old age then.... wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
For my money Le Tunnel in Alpe d'Huez is steeper than the Swiss Wall. But it's a while since I've done either. Anyone care to compare?
snow report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
red 27 wrote:
My descent involved the "Traverse of Shame" bouncing over the moguls from one side of the piste to t'other desperatly tring to lose height and wanting it to be over and hating myself for starting skiing at all and then at the bottom me and my mates all back-slap each other and say "yeah, not too bad really - a Red I would say... Shall we get a beer?" Laughing

Oh good, it's not just me that does that then... Embarassed Laughing

We've all done that.
snow conditions
Stats via Google Earth. Some comparison:

Swiss Wall @ Porte de Soleil: 865 vertical over 1447 length = 30.87*. Not counting run out.
252 vertical over 302 length = 39.84*.

Gunbarrel @ Heavenly: 1593 vertical over 3270 length = 25.98*. Marketed as 1800 vertical feet.
201 vertical over 302 length = 33.65*.

Al's Run @ Taos: 1479 vertical over 2803 length = 27.82*.
207 vertical over 302 length = 34.43*.

3 famous bump runs. Some additional notes:

All are under lifts, but Al's Run is the only liftline and is one of the only trails, maybe even the only one, to be seen from the base. Huge psych out.

Swiss Wall is probably the iciest, due to the most skiers coming down with the least snow. Yet, it's also the widest.

Gunbarrel is the longest. Unlike Al's Run, which is 50% being of a very flat grade and another 50% of being 30+ degrees, Gunbarrel is also a solid 25+ degrees the entire 1800 vertical feet down. Major endurance test there.

Swiss Wall is the most dangerous. Rocks and incapable skiers = DANGER.

All are pretty hyped up.

IMO:

Hardest to ski in powder: Gunbarrel
Hardest to ski in normal bumps: Gunbarrel and Swiss Wall
Hardest to ski in icy bumps: Swiss Wall
snow report
skiking4, Wall is visible from base of chair. If by Base of "resort", well which resort. That sort of metric doesn't really work for European networks. snowHead

I see no reason for it to be iciest either. Anyway, as soon as it ices up, it gets closed. That is one rope you don't want to duck under.
ski holidays
skiking4,

That is a good bit of information put together.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy