Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many snowboard lessons have you had?

Poster: A snowHead
My first two hours on snow were lessons but I have not had any more snowboard lessons since then, although I am quite techie and look/watch/learn from others, books, DVDs etc

I would have lessons to learn some tricks/jumps/ etc

Any snowboard 'lesson heads' out there ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a week of group leassons in Livigno back in 1997, which were pretty poor, then I had a one hour private lesson in Les Arcs the following year, then I just continued by myself until I didn't fall over so much.

I think most of what I learned was by watching other boarders and noting their positioning, stance, etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I week in avoriaz in '95 1/2 week in La Plagne in '00 as ESF guy was a tozzer.

Nothing at all, until this season when went on a McNab cliinic in Jan. Great insruction but I just could unlearn my 'kick the board' round technique to learn the mcNab method, so a bit disappointing for me really...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've got me thinking now, had 2x1hr lessons in the Tamworth would be around 95/96 followed by a week in Italy (all school organised). That really was a big learning experience because between our two instrutors we had a day building a kicker and had a hike up to a ridge which only two of us accepted to do it. Can't see an instructor taking one week school kids off piste now!

I too did a McNab Kommunity camp around 99 which really spurred me on as the instructors were Steve Bailey (who needs no introduction) and Marcus Chapman (now a regular in White Lines) and also shared a room with Jamie Phillips (at the time British Champion).

I'm now booked on to a BASI instructor course (as some of you may know) and wish I had done it 5-10 years ago when I was first into the sport. This will be my only 'tuition' since my Kommunity camp but I have learnt loads from 'pals for a day' to life long buds!

I am a firm beliver in the school of experience and that you need to ride with people at a higher level than yourself. I was very lucky back then and have boarded with some top riders which could only have improved my riding.

Once past the side slipping, leaf falling and initial carve turn lessons an instructor can teach you nothing. Its just about watching how other riders around you get out of situations and even put themselves in certain situations.

Sorry...I don't know where all that's just come from!!! I was only gonna list my learning curve and appear to have gone a bit 'deep'! Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
manicpb, natural thread progression wink but you are probably correct in what you say Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
manicpb wrote:
Once past the side slipping, leaf falling and initial carve turn lessons an instructor can teach you nothing.

I'm surprised that's the case. Quite a bit different to skiing then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
manicpb wrote:
Once past the side slipping, leaf falling and initial carve turn lessons an instructor can teach you nothing.

its complete rubbish imo. I entered the BASI course with 6 years boarding behind me, some of my riding was above what the course needed, some of it was lower than what the course needed, it improved my riding massively. A good instructor can always teach you something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny luv plums wrote:
A good instructor can always teach you something.

That's my view as well, but I'm not (yet) a snowboarder so I don't know if there is something intrinsically different about learning to board compared to learning to ski. Interesting debate for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
manicpb wrote:

Someone once said to me that sking is easier to get the basics but takes years to master however snowboarding is difficult to get the basics but once you've got them there is'nt much else to learn!

I've never skied so can't say if thats totally true, but seems quite accurate from what I've witnessed!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny luv plums wrote:

A good instructor can always teach you something.

I will give you some credit for what you say but I think a better way to put it and what was trying to say is "a better rider can always teach you somthing".

I don't think an instructor will teach you any more than just riding with other boarders.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Jonny luv plums, of course there are always things to learn, for example at the start of last season I was in St Anton and only a few pistes were open because of the mass of snow, and those pistes had knee deep or more powder and I asked on here how to ride in such conditions because I had not encountered it before, the reply was aggressive turns and ride fast (speed is your friend wink ), which I tried and it worked Very Happy

In similar 'ski' circumstances I would have thought that a few lessons would have been required to get the hang of skiing in powder, rather than a few words of advice, but I do not ski so I may be wrong.

It seems that a quick 'do this' hint is what is needed in most cases on a board, rather than a series of lessons, but we are all learning all the time Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, so is the implication that snowboarding is easier to make progress in developing technique or tactical skills?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I do not know and I did not really want to get in to a ski/board comparison in particular, simply wanted to know if boarders on here tended to have lessons every year because it is something I have not done as yet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, OK, no worries. I'll be interested in the answers you get.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When learning to ski it appears quite easy to snow plough down a piste at a controlled speed however when entering parallel turns some of my family have had four weeks or more on the snow and still struggle.

When learning to board you are essentially entering at parallel turns as you never have that option of returning to the snow plough to slow you down, you have to complete your turn (or as a lot of learners do fall over).

Generally people have got there linked turns after a few days otherwise they pack it in because they are fed up of bruised knees, backs, a*ses, etc and are then progressing pretty rapidly. However skiers often (as I say I'm generalising here and may be totally wrong) appear to bottle the speed gained in a parallel turn and revert to the snow plough.
snow conditions
manicpb wrote:
Someone once said to me that sking is easier to get the basics but takes years to master however snowboarding is difficult to get the basics but once you've got them there is'nt much else to learn!

sounds about right to me.

i had about 1 1/2 hour lesson from a mate -before anyone says it he's a (lapsed) qualified instructor - and from there on in it is learn by doing. i still ride with my mate so he might occasionally correct something, but it's rare enough for him to say something.
latest report
Most people never have lessons beyond 1-3 days on board and give enough hill time will progress at their own rate with no further lessons fine.

Its quote normal for a snowboarder to be doing blacks, powder , tree runs , jumps in the second week of boarding. All the tecqunique to do this is lernt in the first few days.

I had one "advanced lesson" which in hindsight was a waste of time, as the instructor just tried to mould me in to a clone of his "style". My technique was basically sound and need no change. ( i was bullied by a skier that lessons was the thing to do).

The most important thing is to ride with better boarders. I would advise a guide rather than instructor once you are confident in most conditions.

Tux
snow report
I don't board myself, but two of my kids swapped from skiing to boarding a couple of years ago. The lad had no lessons at all, (although he had skateboarded a lot), and picked it up in about an hour. Today he can carve a pretty good turn, do jumps, and look graceful getting down anything but the iciest black.

My youngest daughter had a couple of days of 2 hour lessons and has also never looked back.

Based on this (observed) experience, and comparing it to my other teenagers progression on skis (and my own) I would say that day one on a board involves a LOT more falling down, but after that your're pretty much sorted. WEEK one on skis involves a gradual transition from terror to slightly less terror, with little falling down, but a lot of snow ploughing, and thereafter to progress further lessons are definitely required.

Of course to get REALLY good on either will need both dedication and tuition, but for the average punter, boarding does seem a much 'simpler' way to slide down the hill. I'd give it a go myself but my knees and butt don't fancy the pain of day one. snowHead
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I did not really want to get in to a ski/board comparison in particular

Sorry rayscoops, I may have pushed it in that kinda direction!

To try and help you in your initial question, when I did the Kommunity camp they did help/make you advance by doing things like full pistes riding fakie and for me they helped me sight piste side jumps. As for jumping you can be shown but if you've not got that mentality in your head your never gonna land a 720 (don't get me wrong, I can't either!) having said that it's always good to have someone who knows what they are on about egging you on!
snow conditions
No lessons for me on the snowboarding front, but I had been a skier of 25yrs prior to it so that helped a lot I think..

I did however printed/read out some stuff off the web about turn techniques etc... and It certainly did help loads in learning to turn and link my turns..

Up to last year I was also kind of at the "top" of a group beginners/low intermediates..Back in January though, new group and I was at the botton of that one..All the other boarders were much better/faster than me. That also did loads of good for my riding as per what manicpb getting at really..

It also did wonders for my fitness as I always played catch-up and hardly had a chance to rest all day! Laughing
latest report
2 sets of private lessons totalling 6 hours & a MK 2 hr lesson brush up in between them, & lots of practice snowHead But I also skied before boarding.
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, girly swot wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, oh & I watched the McNab (i think) snowboarding DVD & I have a book Blush Little Angel
latest report
and I'm still crap Embarassed Laughing
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
rayscoops, oh & I watched the McNab (i think) snowboarding DVD & I have a book Blush Little Angel

me too Little Angel
snow conditions
I had a 2 hour lesson at Calshot on the boarding dry slope and then headed straight for the mountain when I was on my gap year. It was only when I was nearly at the top of the mountain on my first attempt at recalling how to do falling leaf that fear gripped me! Fortunately in Bariloche there were random people around that would give you a quick 1 hr lesson and taught me turn.

I have never looked back. By day three I was carving and on blacks.

I have bought the same McNab book/DVD that DebbiDoesSnow, watched to try improve my technique and avoid the skiddy turns.
snow report
But going back to rayscoops, point about lessons, I can jump off things and get some air a ft or so off ground. No grace or technique - just ridges to jump off. I would love to be able to do it properly.

THere is a lot to be said to be riding with people that are better than you as you do learn alot. My friends all seem to be about the same level so we spur each other on, but struggle to learn new techniques.
latest report
I think it's a bit of a shame that the "learned it all in the first 3 days" myth persists with snowboarding. About 99% of the snowboarders on the mountain are rubbish at it. They have poor, back-foot reliant technique, which allows them to kick their way down just about anything, but at the end of the day it's snowboarding's equivalent of a snow-plough turn. I reckon I see maybe one person per week who can carve. Most 3-day snowboarders talk the talk about their rad carving but almost no-one can actually do it.

Sorry for the rant, but I really wish more people would take more lessons, it really, really, really would make a difference (assuming you get the right instructor).

Riding with people better than yourself is cool, and helps with many things, but most riders either have poor technique themselves or have no idea how to explain what they do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd, are you an instructor?
snow conditions
I've got my BASI lvl 1, but I don't work as an instructor. Level 1 made such an enormous difference to me, when I'd been riding 8 years and thought I knew it all...
snow conditions
Fair point stevomcd, - I have certainly been there with confidence getting up very quickly at beginning, but still had a long way to go to develop my technique.
ski holidays
stevomcd, I do not think carving is the 'be all and end all of boarding' and most boarders are simply lazy carvers (and if i had relied solely on carving I would now be dead Shocked Very Happy ), and just because a boarder does not spend all day doing prissy carved turns down the mountain it does not make them rubbish at boarding.

Imv there are many ways of getting down the mountain and carving is just one of them, I agree there are lots of boarders who have a skiddy back foot and I would suggest they are not the most experienced, there are also lots of boarders with a strong front foot stance who are not really carving either but are nevertheless good boarders riding correctly, safely and in control imv, but riding in much more of a straight line than would be achieved in comparison with carving, sometimes I do carve but I find it quite tiresome and I personally have adopted a technique that rocks from edge to edge and is quite a 'soft foot' technique/ method, the board runs on its edge but I do not really let it follow its natural sidecut carve trajectory, a bit like riding straight on a narrow/flat track and running on an edge by twisting the board a bit.

99% of boarders may not be pure carvers but they are certainly not rubbish wink

edit - ps - if you get your BASI II will you give me a lesson Little Angel
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
99% of boarders may not be pure carvers but they are certainly not rubbish wink

What would your assessment be of a boarder who could carve good linked turns, but was unable to steer with the back foot?

(apologies if I've used the wrong terminology)
ski holidays
rob@rar, a boarder who could carve good turns would also be able to do skiddy back foot turns too wink
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
rob@rar, a boarder who could carve good turns would also be able to do skiddy back foot turns too wink

OK, silly question!

How many ways are there to steer a board? In skiing there are three main ways, and most skiing is a blend of two or three of those techniques. If there is one of those techniques that you're not so good at it will place limits on your abilities as a skier. I think to be considered 'good' you need to master all three of those techniques, so while I agree with you that carving isn't the be all and end all, it is IMO essential that you develop good carving (edging) skills. Genuinely interested in whether that notion transfers across to boarding.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
How many ways are there to steer a board? In skiing there are three main ways, and most skiing is a blend of two or three of those techniques. If there is one of those techniques that you're not so good at it will place limits on your abilities as a skier. I think to be considered 'good' you need to master all three of those techniques, so while I agree with you that carving isn't the be all and end all, it is IMO essential that you develop good carving (edging) skills. Genuinely interested in whether that notion transfers across to boarding.

it is the same with boarding, perhaps even more so because you are only ever on one edge. I always ride on an edge (even when running flat wink ) but I may not necessarily let the board follow a full carved 'side-cut' trajectory of a carve, unless I am show boating under a chair lift Very Happy

edge control and weight transfer imv is more important than carving
snow report
rob@rar, anyway we digress, how many ski lessons have you had? and are you going to do BASI I snowboarding as your second discipline ? Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
rob@rar, anyway we digress, how many ski lessons have you had? and are you going to do BASI I snowboarding as your second discipline ? Very Happy

I've had a lot of lessons over the years, way too many to count. Last season, which was a fair bit more than usual, I had about 150 hours of group and private lessons (on snow and off snow), plus 70 hours shadowing other instructors, plus a week of theory on ski-related stuff. This season I'll have between 50 and 100 hours depending on what courses I do. Most of those are through BASI, so include being taught and being assessed, but I also do some race training, bumps training and general updates on my technique. Once I get as far as I can with BASI that number of hours will reduce dramatically, but I can't see me wanting to stop development of my skiing, so I'll have some form of ongoing instruction (formal or informal) as well as the regular updates that BASI require of you to continue your registration.

I hope to do boarding and adaptive skiing to L1 standard, although not quite sure which one of these I'll do first.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
edge control and weight transfer imv is more important than carving

Isn't carving all about edge control and weight transfer? How else do you get a board (or a ski for that matter) to carve if you don't put it on edge and transfer your weight to it?
latest report
rob@rar, depends where you're sticking the weight Smile edge control, pedalling and weight transfer (fore and aft) get a good carve going. I still dont get the swiss way of teaching with the arms outstretched upper body separation thing and no weight transfer. Maybe its quick results for 1 week boarders I dunno.
I'm teaching someone privately at the moment and the first thing I did was get them to hold their trousers while turning, killed off that swiss upper body thing straight away.

On my course we had to demonstrate basic turns. I was under the impression that a skidded turn was poor technique and carved everything. That was wrong apparantley and more for L2. I also did most of my course switch because I was the only goofy and my stoners brain couldnt cope Laughing
We had to do blindfolded freestyle as well, the instructor would call out the tricks we had to do (cab 3 etc) made a big difference to riding in a white out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy