Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clip in touring bindings (securafix style etc)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody had much experience with clip in touring bindings to go onto regular Alpine bindings? I'm thinking of bindings such as the BCA Alpine Trekkers (http://www.facewest.co.uk/BCA-Alpine-Trekkers.html)

The basic requirements would be for max 2-3 hour skinning sessions rather than any full on touring and I would have thought all the clipins need to be is light and durable ... any extra features wouldn't be a requirement for short skinning sessions (not sure if there are that many 'features' for touring bindings). I guess overall weight is high due to the combined downhill and clipin bindings, plus strength may not be quite as good as a full on binding ... anything else?

I've seen and heard the odd negative comment on clipins but not heard the reasons why. I've chatted with kiwi1 about his bindings and he was more than happy with his clipins but not sure what type they were.

Jed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
c-ellerby wrote:
light and durable

Jed

No. They're not called Alpine Day Wreckers for nothing... I've used them in the past and they suck, better than nothing I guess but not a practical solution. As you recognise it will depend mainly on how much up you do. IMO Fritshis & Naxos are really poor to ski so if you can't justify Marker Barons or Dukes go for the day wreckers...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
No. They're not called Alpine Day Wreckers for nothing... I've used them in the past and they suck, better than nothing I guess but not a practical solution.

Can you explain why they suck Parlor?? Jed posted the question for me as I was out all day. I already have alpine bindings, so was I either bite the bullet and replace my bindings, get the adapters, or don't bother at all!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski,

I think Valsport hire them...or have heard that they do...so might be an option..and then you'll know if they are for you.
I have heard they are a short hike option which sounds worth a look...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, really high off the ski so you have a heap of extra forces at play trying to stand / walk on the ski. And they're likely to break when you're about to access the good stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers parlor, looks like sensible alternative is dukes/barons, but not at the 'out of stock' inflated prices currently around!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, check out www.evogear.com - good value Dukes if you can work out shipping, customs etc

i've always thought of trekkers as being something i'd pay £20 for on ebay so they are lying around "just in case" but i'd never pay full retail. some people make them work though. i think filingle does all his interesting routes on that set-up and there was some guy who almost did all of the Colorado 14ers in a year (this was a couple of years before Chris Davenport actually achieved this) on that set-up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
c-ellerby wrote:
The basic requirements would be for max 2-3 hour skinning sessions rather than any full on touring

For this Treker adaptors would be ok...
For sure 'alpine tour wreckers' often get a bad write up.
But at end of the day all touring kit is always a compromise of some sorts.
Have used them on a few occasions for skinning (upto 3 hours max) - and had no problems what so ever.
Though i wouldnt use them for long day tours.

On the plus side...

- they are cheap, especially on ebay!
- you clip into your normal downhill binding on the way down Very Happy
- can use then with any ski

On the negative side

- your high off the ski on the way up
- kick turns are tricky...
- you will notice the extra weight, even after climbing for a couple of hours.
- trekers take up alot of space in your backpack.

People rave about Marker Duke's / Barons...
But that is a really heavy binding, and not ideal for going up either.
Also with Dukes your permantly high off the ski (which I really dont like, especially with wide skis).

At least with a treker you only compromise on the way up ?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 9-03-09 12:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

- they are cheap, especially on ebay!

I searched ebay for alpine trekkers but got zero hits, any clues on what to look for?

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
securafix

there were some on there recently. bidding was up to £50 which seemed a bit pricey to me
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
securafix

there were some on there recently. bidding was up to £50 which seemed a bit pricey to me

yeh tried that one as well Sad

Guess I'm hiring if we find a route we want to skin!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap, Dukes are heavy and you do sit high but you sit on a wide plate so I defo feel more connected than, say, FR+. I thought the Naxos were better for feel but the Duke is bomber,

For me, the Duke stable are alpine bindings with uphill capability and shouldn't be thought of as anything but.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy