Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots recommendation needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I am heading to the Alps next weekend and promised myself I would purchase some ski boots this year. I have slightly dodgey feet so apparently there is some kind of ski boots which can be moulded to my feet. What I need to know is:
1. Is there much difference between the brands and any that are strongly recommended
2. Would it be better to purchase the boots when I arrive on holiday (we are going to Puy St Vincent) or in the UK. I am based in Cornwall so not sure how many places there are to buy ski boots around here.
3. Is it cheaper to buy here or in france
4. What do I need to look for in the moulded ski boots and how does it work
5. I do not want to pay the earth but need to be comfortable (I could barely walk after my last ski trip with badly fitted boots)
6. Any other top tips would be welcome

I got a fantastic response from my last post about where to go on holiday so I am looking forward to all your advice.
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annaba, there'll be someone who knows all about boots along in a minute, I'm sure. My comments are:

There are boots which are supplied with heat mouldable inners, such as my Salomons and no doubt lots of others. You can have mouldable inners of various types fitted instead of the supplied inner. You can buy semi bespoke boots such as Strolz, where the inner is made from scratch to fit your foot. I daresay that someone makes a completely bespoke boot, with every detail moulded to your feet, for about the price of a semi detached house in SE England.

To reply to your questions:
1. For me, fit is more important than anything else, and I understand that different brands have slightly different shapes, so one may be better for you than others.
2. The advantage of buying in resort from a first class boot fitter is that you can go back for tweaking and/or fettling all week if you need to, until they are comfy. If you can't identify a good fitter in your resort, I'd buy here from a reputable fitter. Whether there's one in Cornwall I have no idea. There's a decent one in London (Profeet) and CEM of this very forum apparently functions very effectively in Bicester at Solutions 4 feet (it deals with bipeds as well, I'm sure). There's a place called Lockwoods in Leamington Spa which gets a good press. None of those are convenient for Cornwall, but then again, where is?
3. No idea.
4. Comfort is paramount for me. The supplied mouldable inners on my boots were heated in some kind of oven and shoved back in the boots, which I wore for 15 or 20 mins IIRC, while adopting some reasonably uncomfortable positions. That was it. Depending on your feet, you might need other mods made to the inner or the outer, for example blowing the outer out somewhere to accomodate a weird bit of foot. I don't know about the retro fitted mouldable inners; I think that some are heat moulded, presumably a similar process to mine, but some are foamed or otherwise moulded. The Strolz thing involves your feet being measured and drawn around and generally examined. An inner is made overnight; it is popped into the right size and type of (recreational, racing) shell and filled with foam. The foam sets overnight, and Bob's your mother's sister's husband. A bespoke footbed might be added by a bootfitter; that made a huge difference to the comfort of my boots. They don't come cheap, abut £100 IIRC, but well worth it.
A decent fitter, once you've coughed up the fitting charge, will do whatever is necessary to get the boots comfortable.
5. I'm sure that you don't have to pay the earth (the Strolz things aren't ridiculously pricey) but comfortable boots which are appropriate for you and your standard of skiing make skiing much more enjoyable, IME.
6. Use a proper bootfitter recommended by someone you trust. S&R, Ellis Brigham and those sort of places may do the right thing for you but they are just as likely not too, in my experience and from what I've heard. If you can't get to a first class bootfitter, here or in your resort, my advice would be to hire until you can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annaba, where in 'The Alps' are you headed? If you tell us the resort, we may be able to recommend a boot fitter for you!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle In case you missed it. wink
Annaba wrote:

2. Would it be better to purchase the boots when I arrive on holiday (we are going to Puy St Vincent)

I'd recommend a little trip to CEM in Bicester www.solutions4feet.co.uk ,failing that as said, to Lockwood in Leamington Spa or Profeet in London. I don't know of a decent bootfitter in the Puy St. Vincent area, but there maybe someone who does. With the pound vs. Euro ATM you'll be paying at least 50% more in France for them than UK, plus you don't get the opportunity for easy return visits after your holiday, should you require some modifications.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, a 'little trip' to Bicester or Leamington? 'Easy return visits'? From Cornwall?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, Anywhere from Cornwall is going to be a 'little trip'. I didn't suggest moving closer to Middle England wink
There's always Snow & Rock in Bristol, but I don't know if they've got anyone who's really good. Chertsey & Hemel have a couple of good guys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy