Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis - beginner & intermediate classifications

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im currently in the market for new skis, around the £100 mark and iv seen a lot of skis which i adore the look of. The problem im finding is that a lot of these skis are classed as ''beginner - intermediate'' skis. Im a good intermediate+ and can handle any slope without too much of a problem but im hesitant about buying skis which are classed as beginner-intermediate skis. Whats the difference between beginner skis and intermediate skis? is there a noticable difference in skis, especially for someone who is only a good intermediate?

thanks guys Smile

(im 6ft, 82kg and like to ski medium-fast speeds)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-03-09 12:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andehh, buy a pair that you've enjoyed when you've hired them - ignore those that you adore for their looks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im replacing some old skis that are in storage (cant get to them) so havnt had a chance to rent any for a very long time. Witht he cost of euro:pound i cant afford to test them & buy at the resort. As a result i was just wondering fi anyone had any experience on skis that were of a different ski level to them, and how much of a difference it made.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andehh, gotcha... good luck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i do find a notable difference yes, but many of my lighter friends don't notice it so badly. most noticeable at speed, or during short turns - 'beginner' skis ime are less confidence inspiring at speed, need more effort in shorter turns as they don't resist and flex back and don't grip hard pack so well. If you aren't a control freak though you'd be ok - i've been laughed at more than once for the number of times I change my skis on a trip trying to find the perfect match - i'm a bit like goldilocks ;P aj xx
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andehh wrote:
Im currently in the market for new skis, around the £150 mark and iv seen a lot of skis which i adore the look of. The problem im finding is that a lot of these skis are classed as ''beginner - intermediate'' skis. Im a good intermediate+ and can handle any slope without too much of a problem but im hesitant about buying skis which are classed as beginner-intermediate skis. Whats the difference between beginner skis and intermediate skis? is there a noticable difference in skis, especially for someone who is only a good intermediate?

You will find most of the skis at that price point are aimed at beginners to low intermediates.

And they will mostly be too soft if you want to really progress on them above that level.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andehh, How about looking at a secondhand pair of skis from a higher level? There are lots of ads here on snowheads that might be worth a look
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beginner skis tend to be quite soft. To be honest, £150 isn't going to buy you a decent new ski. Look for a good used pair that are aimed at int./adv.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Salomon 2009 Womens Origins Emerald Skis + 711 Bindings

RRP £250

The Salomon Origins Topaz skis are for Allround sport to Advanced ski

My wife just bought a pair of these in the sale for £199.99

or they have these also:

Salomon 2009 Womens Origins Crystal Skis + 711 Bindings

WAS £245

The Salomon Origins Crystal skis are for All-Mountain comfort (70 mm) for the intermediate skier

again for the £199.99

She got hers from sail and ski, but you can get the same deal via the web with other places, which imho is a decent ski at that price
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
P.S they dont have many sizes left, my wife had to get 150. She would normally go for 145 as she's only 5ft tall, so the next best was the 150. So not perfect for a piste based ski but not far off enough to justify paying £300+ for a similar ski in 145
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
depthjunkie, I thinkAndehh, is a man?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, me too!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopin Andehh is a man aswell, his girlfriend might have a thing or 2 to say if he isnt! Neh Neh

Will have to look at 2nd hand skis i spose. if anyone can recommend any gd popular new/2nd hand skis id appreciate it! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy