Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack wanted - waist strap necessary?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all, I'm about to head off for my second week of skiing and am looking in investing in a camelbak (or similar) with some room for storage of spare layers, maybe some sarnies, etc. I'm just wondering if it's essential to have a waist strap to keep the bag in check whilst cruising down the slopes??

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michaelf, IMV, a backpack isn't much use at all with out a waist and chest strap as stability is key.
Most day packs that are useful for a reasonable amount of kit start around 18-20lts...

This may be much bigger than you were expecting for a drink bag and bit and pieces but it is the way to go, IMV...

It is better to have a bag half empty and comfortable than full and cumbersome, IMO
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Dakine HeliPro, never use the chest or waist strap but it's really good fit. If you're sticking to pistes then I don't think it's necessary to strap yourself in, any old rucksack will do.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've got a helipro too. excellent bag. i used the chest strap but not the waist usually.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I reckon, I have got a marmot eiger 35 and really doesn't stay on with out using the straps, (obviously a touch on the large side for day use) Dakine packs seem to be pretty popular saying that my Berghaus day one served me well for whole season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a Dakine Helipack and I have to say that I tend to use the waist strap all the time. That way the pack doesn't bounce around on my back, because it's such a small day pack I tend to forget I've got it on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use both chest and waist strap's to both keep it secure and also to stop the straps dangling when on the lifts, once on have it on you do forget about it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use the chest and waist straps on mine too mainly because I'd rather have them done up instead of dangling around, mine is 16L and also has room for a 2L bladder, plus I keep the avalanche stuff in there. Also has room for what I want to take with me as well, e.g. spare goggles, spare layer. The Helipro is 16L as well I believe although I personally haven't got that one. It is very comfortable and don't notice it on my back. Looks neat and tidy and just the right size to get what I want in there instead of being too large.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely get one with a waist and/or chest strap and do it up, or it can potentially rotate up and round the shoulders if you wipe out, thereby increasing the chance of damaging your neck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the ice perv, good point that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think that a chest strap is useful for ensuring that the shoulder straps don't come off. The waist strap should be more for transferring load onto the hips, probably not important for the average skiing backpack (although judging by the 'What do you carry when you ski' thread, it might be).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When not using a waist strap make sure it is tucked away somewhere and not just dangling. The strap can get caught in the chair lift and prevent you from dismounting, your lift journey length then depends on how quick the lift attendent is. At this point I'd like to thank the liftie in Stuben (Alberg Austria) for being on the ball a few years ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Watch out for shock cord on the back (or front, depending how you look at it) of the pack. Mine got caught on something on a chair lift; fortunately, my lardiness stepped in to break the cord, saving me from heading off down the lift, but a lightweight might have been scuppered. Probably best to choose a pack with nothing on the back (or front) which can catch. Pity, because shock cord is handy for stowing jackets and other bulky items.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seany wrote:
I've got a Dakine HeliPro, never use the chest or waist strap but it's really good fit. If you're sticking to pistes then I don't think it's necessary to strap yourself in, any old rucksack will do.

Not true! It really annoys me having the bag wobble to and fro when skiing. If there's a reasonable amount of weight then you'll want to keep your rucksack in place.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fergus wrote:
Seany wrote:

Not true! It really annoys me having the bag wobble to and fro when skiing. If there's a reasonable amount of weight then you'll want to keep your rucksack in place.

What bit isn't true? My HeliPro (and HeliPack) don't move on or off piste and don't annoy me. When I was a once or twice a year piste skier I had several different rucksacks and none of them wobbled or annoyed me.
latest report
Entirely irrelevant to this thread I know, and I apologise in advance for that, but I got a free rucksack from Tog24 today Very Happy

And yes, it was a FAT one.
ski holidays
often ski with a bag, never needed waist or chest strap, although to ice pervs point I've never fallen with it on.... aj xx
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
I think that a chest strap is useful for ensuring that the shoulder straps don't come off. The waist strap should be more for transferring load onto the hips, probably not important for the average skiing backpack (although judging by the 'What do you carry when you ski' thread, it might be).

In a skiing backpack no load gets transferred to the hips by the waist strap. The entire load is supported by the spine above the hips.

For good reason: the lower strap doesn't ride on the hips.

You can see that this must be so if we wish to retain counter and angulation in our skiing, wear a harness, or sit on a chairlift properly.
ski holidays
michaelf wrote:
Dear all, I'm about to head off for my second week of skiing and am looking in investing in a camelbak (or similar) with some room for storage of spare layers, maybe some sarnies, etc. I'm just wondering if it's essential to have a waist strap to keep the bag in check whilst cruising down the slopes??

Thanks.

Howabout don't bother, unless you ski with your kids...or in an apartment miles from where you put your skis on/off

Like you I went down the backpack route, and tended to stuff it with junk...This season I've skied / boarded about 80 days and only taken the backpack when I've needed avalanche / probe / shovel...probably about 1 week...

I think my balance is definitely helped without the junk on my back. For water I take a small bottle in the pants pocket (boarding) or for skiing one of those salomon water bottles & holder belt (like you see the x-country and some moniteurs using)
latest report
comprex wrote:
richmond wrote:

In a skiing backpack no load gets transferred to the hips by the waist strap. The entire load is supported by the spine above the hips.

For good reason: the lower strap doesn't ride on the hips.

You can see that this must be so if we wish to retain counter and angulation in our skiing, wear a harness, or sit on a chairlift properly.

That was my point, really, although I hadn't thought too deeply about angulation or wearing a harness.
latest report
Found a deal on the Osprey Switch 16 for £25. Is it a good enough daypack? Never used a pack before but fancy one and thought this was a good deal
snow report
I have a BCA Stash 20lt which I like in particular the insulated pocket for the tube stops it from freezing.
snow conditions
1873Chris,

How old is it... Osprey make some of the best packs around today IMV.... but you should check if it has a ski/board carrying system....or has what you want it for.........
ski holidays
1873Chris, That looks pretty good as a day pack to me. Possiboly even a little over-specced if you are only using it on-piste.
snow report
Cool mate but if i'm getting it at £25 myt aswell over spec and then possibly won't need another pack when i get to do some off piste
latest report
It's brand new btw
latest report
Bite their arm off for £25 for an Osprey is a great price.
ski holidays
I like a thin waist strap riding high purely for stability when skiing. As said above.... do not use a padded weight bearing belt done up tightly on the hips as it may inhibit movement.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy