Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts in Italy which is the best?

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking for a resort in Italy that has a good night life and is fine for beginers. Have read about Livingo, but

that's a long transfer. Any ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Theres only one way to find out

FIGHT wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
going to selva tomorrow - first time in Italy - had to be prised away from vdi or 3 valleys so will let you know. see if i get my bottom pinched. Blush
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From personal experience...

La Thuile - plenty of beginners skiing, good ski school, no night life
Canazei - Only OK for beginners but limited night life
Passo Tonale - Like La Thuile only prettier
Livigno - plenty of beginners skiing, good ski school, decent apres (especially on the Motolino side), very lively nightlife in San Rocco area

Oh, and welcome to Snowheads!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cervinia is best and has a short transfer
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

agree also check out Bardonechia, Sauze Doux and Pila Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

skiing in cervinia is fantastic for beginners, and the snow record is second to none.... but nightlife????? Do me a favour!!! From memory there is very little nightlife in Bardonnechia, Passo Tonale, La Thuile...

Selva is quite lively, as is Livigno, and ideed Sauze.... Depends where you fly to for Selva as to whether its a short transfer... Verona is ok.

Wouldn't recommend Sauze for beginners though,,, more an intermediate resort but it depends how "timid" you are....

Sestirere is pretty good for beginners.... and a fairly modern lift system which many Italian resorts don't benefit from.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Passo Tonale, which is high and snowsure and great for beginners and intermediates. There's not much in the way of après, but there's still fun to be had and it's really good value. There's also possibilities to ski other resorts in the region on the same lift pass, i.e. Madonna...

I also went to Andalo with the school donkeys years ago. I remember the snow being good and a great run down to Paganello, but that's about it...

I'm going to Courmayeur tomorrow... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If my choice is restricted between

Courmayeur
La Thuile
Cervinina
Selva
Canazei
Livigno

My choice would be Livigno because it appears to be a beginner paradise with flat (relatively) slope on both sides of the valley. Livigno is pretty isolated near the Swiss border but the resort is exceptionally busy and has a good British and Irish presence so there must be some night activities too.

Not been to Passo Tonale, Bardonnechia and Sauze but I think Montenevre of the French side of the Milky Way appears to be very beginner friendly and should have a good night life.

Italian resorts do not appear to be very active at night when comparing with those in Austria.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sauze doesn't have a great snow record and I think you've to get a chairlift up to the beginners area if I remember correctly which can be intimidating if you're a complete beginner. I didn't like Sauze but that's cuz I was there in Jan 2007 and there was crap snow!

Oh and I've been to Livigno 4 times and loved it every time. The skiing is a bit limited but as a beginner it's ideal. It's worth the long transfer imo. Great restaurants, lively bars and the people who live there are super nice!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes Sauze in Jan 2007 was crap, half the runs closed and ice on the rest (but still a memorable holiday for the continuous sunshine and the ski lessons with an instructor who kept nipping in to mountain cafes for another shot of the local firewater, not forgetting the rest of the class including a stunning Irish brunette and a couple of very nice blondes).

Looks like I should be looking into Livigno for 2011
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
matt23, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
truffaut, it depends what your level of skiing is whether you'll enjoy the skiing in Livigno or not. It's mainly easy reds and blues. The blacks are handy enough too but still fun. It's great for an all round ski holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anna 1104, blues and easy reds sounds ideal, but what are the lifts like ? I'll be with 2 kids so need to avoid vicious drags or old chairlifts that try to chop your legs off at the knee as you sit down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
truffaut, Cervinia every time for that criteria
latest report
truffaut wrote:
anna 1104, blues and easy reds sounds ideal, but what are the lifts like ? I'll be with 2 kids so need to avoid vicious drags or old chairlifts that try to chop your legs off at the knee as you sit down.
Just got back from Folgarida, and providing you don't want much in the way of night life then I'd say it's a great place for mixed groups. There are two drags in the beginners area and just went on one of those, but otherwise lots of kindly chairs, including some with covers for when it's snowing/blowing a hooley (which I know I haven't spelt correctly, but you know what I mean), that were very civilised.

We were there last week and it snowed non-stop for four days so conditions are amazing. Check out the resort reviews thread.

Equity and Rocket Ski go there, we've travelled with them several times and they're excellent; small enough to care and well organised. Have fun, wherever you choose!
snow conditions
matt23 wrote:
Am looking for a resort in Italy that has a good night life and is fine for beginers. Have read about Livingo, but

that's a long transfer. Any ideas?

If you're ok with coach travel, then Livigno should fit the bill nicely. Plenty of beginner runs, mostly located close to resort and ski schools - all very handy. Some pleasant runs to progress to as you improve. As for night life I thought it was pretty good. One bar in particular (can't recall the name) has a slide into it!! Did that one a few times - great fun Laughing
snow conditions
i agree the 4 1/2 hour transfer isn't too bad and very scenic, on the return its in the dark so you sleep 2/3 of it
the resort is quite long 3 miles but the free buses are very good. If you use a tour operator they will arrange ski school closest to you
if you want good apres ski and easily walkable nursery slopes go for San Rocco.
It is not too expensive as duty free.
snow report
Thanks for the replys. Looks like Livingo is favourite. Should of joined snowheads ages ago. Loads of info snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy