Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children's Skiing Progression example

Poster: A snowHead
When I posted

Quote:
My daughter has had lessons from the age of 8 (she's now 13) with:-

- Tamworth Snowdome
- Norwegian School in Geilo
- Ski Banff School Canada
- ESF in St Sorlin D'Arves and Les Deux Alpes
- Easiski
- Summit Ski School Zermatt
- Easiski next at Easter

on the recent France vs Switzerland thread it got me thinking that when we started (both at the same time her 8 and me 46) I had no real idea, because I had no experience, of how we would progress. I probably naively thought that I would be a better skier than that little girl for many years and that was the case, due to strength and getting more skiing, for 2 or 3 years anyway.

So I dug out the video clips I have of her and stitched them together to show how she has progressed over those 9 weeks skiing. It's here. Some of the clips are poor as they were done on a stills camera but it may help others who don't know what to expect. I'm sure she's fairly typical of a child starting around that age and getting regular decent (and some very good) tuition.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, Amazing, I'm proud for you Cool Come on, post some video of your improvements now wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, nice idea doing a timeline and nice progression by your daughter snowHead ... wish i had brough a video camera along on the early trips.... Embarassed

i feel a few hours of video editing coming up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timberwolf, Thanks I've given up being videoed now! She has another week with easiski at Easter which will widen the gap even more I'm afraid. I have some too but I found that at half term, when we shared private lessons between us, I picked up up only about 25% of what Natalie did Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a lovely record of her progress. If you have "given up being videoed now" that implies you have some to share from before.........! Go on you know you want to! You can always get some more at Easter to tack onto it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, you have inspired me to keep a video diary of the Timberpup's progression, Thankyou. He was 4.5 on his first trip last year and we're off to La Rosiere in 2 weeks snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, Not a great deal of me really, you concentrate more on capturing film of the kids.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, The leaps seem huge from one clip to another don't they? I guess it depends on how when in the week the video is taken and how much practice there has been between the video clips.

I have variously posted clips of my kids. I haven't yet checked, but I should have some of them skiing in Switzerland this year on my camcorder - I'll have to sort it out and see what I can find on it and maybe post back some of the minimums in action.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timberwolf, It's well worthwhile you don't need much from each trip. While I was searching through videos this evening I also visited some nice ones from her dancing classes which I've probably got clips going back almost 10 years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Mine April 06

TheKarvinKid Feb09 from SkiMottaret
Feb 09 14 years old , 11th week of skiing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I mainly took them towards the end of each week I think. The biggest leap came in 2008, which coincided with lessons with easiski. Some private lessons at half term in Zermatt this year consolidated that and I expect the lessons with easiski again at Easter will see further big improvements (especially without me hampering them this year as I did last year Embarassed ).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin,
That's a good example of how a child can progress with their skiing over the years.

We've been recording similar progress with #1 son - although not in a single video - and have just started recording the progress of #2son as he's started his first slides. Both's latest progess can be seen as of last month here:
http://youtube.com/v/O1xovYeMdUI&fmt=16.

#1son will now (at age 7) outski me on most things which don't involve a shuss. But I'm convinced I still have the advantage over #2 (not yet 2yo).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, & skimottaret, Fantastic! It just goes to show we have no chance! Schussing is one discipline where I find that weight triumphs over ability as I have proven to easiski and our instructor in Zermatt a couple of weeks ago by streaking past both of them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW, Thats really encouraged me to run through some exercises with my three y o next week, i was getting her skis but just expecting to get her walking around on them.

Your son #1 is amazing, how much skiing has he done to get to that standard? Im not surprised you struggle to keep up. Thanks for posting that.

I wont show my six y o as she is made up with her own progress and is obviously nowhere near your boy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great post Colin B and what a great progression.

skimottaretjr is annoyingly good. Possibly better than daddy wink
latest report
FlyingStantoni, defo better in the bumps Razz NehNeh

RobW - love the teamwork by the lads!!
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

love the teamwork by the lads
Agreed. They are edible.
snow conditions
RobW, you should get the older lad race training indoors, he looks a good athlete
snow conditions
RobW, Yes get him race training anywhere!
He seems to have natural ability, balance and no fear! Xscape MK or Castleford, or Chill Factore in Manchester.
The British Ski Academy at Les Houches is brilliant. They can spend time out there skiing in the morning and do all their schooling in the afternoon. Malcolm Erskine has been running it for the past 10 years and has produced many British champions, some almost from scratch.
Many of the younger current GB team went through the BSA including my son TJ who is now ranked top 30 in the world for age 18 in Downhill, Super G & Super Combined.
Your son really reminds me of TJ when he was younger!!
I'll try to put on some clips in the next few days.
snow conditions
Megamum, Also there aren't clips from all weeks, most notably our first week in Norway. She didn't have any lessons in 2 of the weeks (although she did have lessons in other weeks in those years) probably a mistake to do that. She has had a total of 6 weeks of lessons plus 4 hours at Tamworth before that.
latest report
skimottaret, Plugboy, I think you'll find that #1 is already doing quite a lot of racing, and doing fairly well: third mini in the Welsh champs last year, winner at Ipswich CN and regular 3rd/4ths on the CN circuit.

RobW, many would say <2yo is way too early to get them skiing, but I think your vids speak for themselves (and didn't you have one of #2 at <1yo somewhere?). Do you get much resistance to starting them that early?
ski holidays
Plugboy, you ever decide to sell your skis ?

GrahamN, i kinda figured he had some training with all the one legged stuff he was playing around with, his skiing looks a little "dry slope" to me and i was just making a play to get him to go indoors with us at MK wink
latest report
Thanks to all for the compliments Toofy Grin

#1son started skiing a bit earlier than #2. We're both instructors at an artificial slope, and when one of us was there teaching we'd just (when he asked!) let him slide around on skis and slowly (5 minutes at a time, a few short runs) he picked it up. This is the stage #2 is at at the moment, although his stamina is building up and he's now demanding (and I mean demanding!) more runs.

#1 trains twice a week on the dendix, and 4 weeks on snow for the past few years. Last year, he was old enough to start competing in Club Nationals and in his first year as a Mini he was on the podium three times (one first, two thirds) - which looking back through the old results on Britski we don't think has ever happened before. We haven't decided what races he's doing this summer yet: probably most of the CNs and the Celtic Cups; he won't be doing any of the indoor snow races as he's got not experience of indoor snow and it's too much to race every weekend.

GrahamN Yes, there is a video of #2 skiing on his first birthday (
http://youtube.com/v/vgngUx0laBA&fmt=16 ): but that was with assistance from a kid-ski pole, and not solo.
latest report
Fabulous thread Colin B, and it's great to see how well the kids are all doing. I do think, however, that one thing stands out: it's a great help if the parents are good skiers; failing that, lots of lessons.

It's sad that so many english parents taking their children out of ski school as soon as they can do snowplough turns of a sort. Skiing is a life skill, and not investing in giving your children a good start is denying them that. Sad
latest report
Skimottaret Yep, sold all the Slalom, GS, Super G and 2 prs of DH skis.
Will have some 09 models after the summer when TJ gets the 2010 models.

RobW Is #1 doing the Brit champs at Meribel in early April?
ski holidays
Quote:

Fabulous thread Colin B, and it's great to see how well the kids are all doing. I do think, however, that one thing stands out: it's a great help if the parents are good skiers; failing that, lots of lessons.

Definitely the latter in my case then Smile I do agree, and for me, because I started at such a late age, I'm keen for my daughter to get a really good grounding while she's still young.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 7-03-09 9:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
easiski,
Quote:

It's sad that so many english parents taking their children out of ski school as soon as they can do snowplough turns of a sort. Skiing is a life skill, and not investing in giving your children a good start is denying them that.
Do you not think that the cost may have something to do with this? Or are you just talking about the parents to whom you assume cost is not an issue? My own parents didn't take us skiing at all, let alone pay for lessons (although my father had been reasonably keen in his youth) because they felt that the sort of summer holidays we took together would contribute more to our 'life skills' than skiing holidays would: in retrospect, and even as a keen skier, I agree with them. There was no way they could afford both.
ski holidays
Hurtle, I see 100s of english families, many of whom stop lessons for their kids because 'johnny didn't like ski school' or 'johnny doesn't need lessons any more' the latter when they can barely get around the mountain. Last year one parent thought I could take his 13 year old son down LG when the boy was as far back as it's possible to be, totally oout of balance, virtually horizontal with his back. this boy has not had lessons for years because his dad doesn't think it necesary. I'm not talking about people who can't afford to go skiing (obviously - duh), even the big esf classes are better than tagging along behind M & D if they're poor to moderate skiers, and it's not that expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski,
Quote:

'johnny didn't like ski school' or 'johnny doesn't need lessons any more'
Not the best of reasons, for sure.

Quote:

I'm not talking about people who can't afford to go skiing (obviously - duh),
Obvious indeed. I was just speculating that some of these people might have been trying to compromise - taking the kids skiing, but shaving some of the attendant costs where possible. I'm afraid I don't know the price of ESF lessons.
ski holidays
I think the cost (due to exchange rates) will exacerbate that situation though. I suspect that for many lessons will be one of the first things to go along with lunches on the mountain, etc. Lesson costs are more discretionary than lift passes, etc. In 2 week long trips this year I will have spent about £600 in lessons for my daughter and me. Although I haven't chosen the cheapest options I know that I will get value for money but on top of everything else it's still a lot of money.
snow report
Colin B, thanks, that's the point I was trying to make. Not going skiing at all is, of course, the end point of that sad spiral. Sad
snow conditions
Hurtle, €135 for 6 days of group lessons with ESF - most people spend far more on booze. The point I'm making is that you can see from above how good kids can get, it's a shame for all those kids that they're never given the chance - not only that but spending all their lives skiing badly they'll be finished at 40 or 50, will never have the joy of being able to ski everywhere, whereas the kids shown will still be skiing at 70 and 80 with their great-grandchildren because they learnt to do it properly and well. Most of these families I see (and as I said I see 100s) just don't think it's necessary. They'd rather have a big meal out or lunch up the mountain than pay for ski school. If my dad hadn't sent us religiously we wouldn't be 3 in the family who all ski well, and while my sister almost never skis, those who've been to Gloucester when she's come can attest that even at one day every 2 years on plastic she's still a better skier than most who ski every year.
snow conditions
easiski,

....bother, connection problems just destroyed a carefully crafted response! I was going to say...

...yes, sensible priorities ought to come into play. But, playing devil's advocate and (at least partly) in jest:

a) I'm undoubtedly a poor skier by your standards, and didn't take enough lessons when it mattered, but I confidently expect still to be skiing when I'm 70, after my own fashion but still enjoyably;
b) I'm extremely glad that my father expended some of the available family funds on teaching us to appreciate fine wines;
c) what's the point of being a good skier, if all you do is twice a year on plastic? Arguably the money spent on your sister's lessons would have been better spent on something which she would continue to enjoy more frequently (I'm thinking of the money which was spent, one way and another, on music for me.)

But in reality I agree with you - if one's going to take kids skiing at all, it's better to spend money on lessons for them, than on expensive meals up the mountain, if a choice has to be made.
latest report
What a brilliant thread!
You must all be very proud of your little'uns snowHead
(Almost makes me broody.... Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Great videos of the children progressing.

With regards to sending children to ski school I think sometimes there is a happy medium.

Holidays are in part for the family to have time together and I would not like to go on a ski holiday where my kids attend ski school all day long and don't have family time together, which seems to be the case for some families where the kids are shed at the beginning of the day and not collected till lifts close. Equally it is good to see the children improve their skiing and get enjoyment and take some pride in their improvement particularly if as in my family there is a pronounced non athletic streak.

With regards to improvement one of my minor irritants is that the folk who I go skiing with as a family group do not particularly seek improvement amongst the adults, so we are getting rapidly left behind by the children who are now skiing places the parents cannot access.

All our holidays so far the children have had lessons, the next one at Easter may be different as the nature of the ski pass that we get means that we will not be able to ski the same resort twice so lessons may be a bit more difficult to arrange. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Quote:

RobW Is #1 doing the Brit champs at Meribel in early April?

If so drop me a PM as i will be out coaching minis that week.. I am pretty familiar with Mottaret where they typically hold the mini races on the stad up there and could help with questions etc...
latest report
RobW, I must admit that I find #1 son makes me very depressed Shocked

I'll get me wheelchair out.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
I'll get me wheelchair out.

Nah, just get some fat skis...
latest report
Right, I'm off to edit my video. However, having watched everyone's contributions I am now thoroughly depressed by my own progress and now wish I was 7 yrs old again!!
snow report
FlyingStantoni, RobW's #2 son makes a better job of riding a 'T' bar than many a snowHead wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy