Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self justification - to buy or to rent?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a guy. I like buying kit. Thats what guys do. HOWEVER

I have resisted buying skis thus far due to :

a) not knowing where to start in choosing a pair,

b) figured its cheaper to rent,

c) transportation.

Given that the funny money and the GBP are roughly 1 for 1, I am spending around £285 on ski hire this season. Add last year and next year to it and I am shooting down point b) with ease.

Comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love having my own kit and I have my own skis. However, this season I've hired all sorts of different skis for varying conditions and had a blast. If you go in a ski shop and tell them you're thinking of buying they'll hire you whatever skis you want to try and refund you the hire charge if you buy (in my experience anyway). You can try different skis, then make your mind up. But, a ski that is really good if you find yourself in snowy conditions this year might not be so hot (maybe next year) on packed icy pistes.
So, my conclusion is that everyone needs 2 pairs of skis, at least. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49918
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm a guy. I like buying kit. Thats what guys do.

As I suspected, I am married to a woodlouse. How very awkward (but cheap). Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I'm a guy. I like buying kit. Thats what guys do.

As I suspected, I am married to a woodlouse. How very awkward (but cheap). Laughing

Be fair, he said kit, not shoes wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, I have just bought my first set of skis after about 20 weeks of skiing. For me, I could never decide which skis to get, and just carried on hiring as it wasn't too expensive. However, as you have pointed out, with the exchange rate as it is, it cost me £150 to hire skis for one week in St Anton, so I decided to finally bite the bullet.

After much deliberation, I decided to buy Head Great Ones for £379 - of course never having skied these skis before I could have made a huge mistake, but if I have, I shall sell them at the end of the season and I probably won't be out of pocket for doing so.

It's a no brainer really - go for it !

. . . And the answer to your next question will undoubtedly have at least one response of 'Scott Missions' Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same thing for me, im on my 2nd jaunt this year in a few weeks time. And with the £ to Euro exchange rate being virtualy 1 on 1 i begrudge paying £90 ish to hire a set for a week, especaily if i do 2 trips a year.
Just bit the bullet and purchased a set of Head monster iM78's in the sail and ski sale for £359 inc bindings, this is a saving of over £120 off list price.

yes it will take another 3 trips or so after this one in a few weeks to pay for themselves (so prob a year and a half or 2 max to pay for its self) but if i only use em on 2 holidays they will probably still pay for themselves as if i were to sell them after i think i would still get £200 for em if only used for 12 days or so.

The other reason is i like to have my own stuff, i know what gear i will be using, the correct ski length and not just whats in the shop at the time. And also if for any reason they get damaged i wont have to pay daft excess charges i.e like in Canada this year (they offerd no insurance as an option on ski hire, but had a $1000 charge for lost/damaged ski's)

The down side is having to pay the £20 airport/flight charge, but imho this is easily a non event for knowing that i will have good, edged wax etc gear for use. The real bummer is having to drag em through airports

DJ
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy...save the home ski industry...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, Hi Peter... I know you go a few times a year so a key factor is who do you fly with? BA & swiss carry skis for free, Mad-Irish and Orange charge £30 each way. I fly mainly Swiss and I'm in the same position but the skis I like cost £800 Sad

Have you got a specific ski you're looking at? might be worth seeing if you can pick them up cheap in April.

OT - how's your season this year? snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am not a guy, but I like buying kit too!

I have been skiing for 15+ years and always had the same opinion as you about skis... This year due to the whole pound / euro thing I decided to bite the bullet... Just returned from Chamonix after trying out the new skis and loved them!

I spent ages researching what to get and had a few shortlisted ... luckily some that fit the bill came up on Ebay for £85 instead of £300 so that helped the decision (2 seasons old, as in graphics, but brand new). I obviously had to get bindings but they will last for years and you can change them onto new skis!

If you keep your eyes peeled there are loads of bargains around at the minute, especially if you aren't bothered about new stuff?

I totally 100% recommend getting your own skis! The only problem is now I want a different pair for every condition ...

Just one tip, If you do buy.... don't forget the poles! The one's I bought are rubbish and will be exchanged immediately!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, I tend to fly with all the cheapies, it justifies going 4 times a season financially. But to be honest just yesterday I was moaning to a mate about how bad Ryanair is. Back from Salzburg last week was awful including an aborted landing which put the proverbial up me! Flying BA at Easter to Lyon so will be interested to see how that compares on a ski holiday.

Other than that, fair comments from you.

My season has been amazing. Skied for 6 days thus far and reckon I had too much snow on 5 of them. Last week in Schladming had probably the most ideal day I could imagine - hero snow, grippy, sun shine, fast well groomed pistes etc.
Champoluc week after next in lieu of last years Cervinia and Meribel at easter. I'm as fit as a fiddle this year and thats helping enormously too. What about you? You must have little to draw at work and plenty of ski time?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi, lol - yes something like that - this season feels like the last hurrah. I've had 5 weeks and off to Lech for the last next saturday. Back to hill walking next year no doubt as work will be a distant memory.

2 good resorts you've skied there - both on my list....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i recently bought my frst skis and boots.
have usually hired and was happy doing so. however this year i went to glenshee for the day and spent an hour queuing for kit, then got what can only be described as the worst boots ever and a couple of 2x4's for skis.
after that miserable day's skiing decided to buy my own stuff.
saved a packet by getting old stock and going via ebay
head S13 boots and C260i ski's.. £300 for the lot £350 including boot and ski bags and poles etc..
seemed a fair deal to me.. happy with the ski's and the boots took a bit to get them to fit me the way i wanted but are now great..

must say there is something satisfying about having your own stuff..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hiring is better IMV because
(a) you can change skis according to the conditions
(b) you don't have the problem of lugging them through airports
(c) your own skis don't always turn up on the carousel (I have witnessed one airline this winter that just left a load of skis and boots behind because the plane was full)
(d) you don't have the hassle of maintenance
(e) if you order online before the trip big discounts are available
(f) you can always ski on the latest (well last year's anyway) technology
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
why do you need to justify buying your own?

I dont think I have ever kept a pair of skis for more than one season.

Just buy in the summer or out of season each time and sell them on ayear later.

Last year I was on movement thunders, bought cheap from Noble Custom, put an old pair of 912ti I was given off a mate on them. I skeied them for 1 week and sold them for £250. Cost to me about £25.

This year was on Icelantic Nomads, probably Preachers for next season, love the Nomads to bits bit NEED a pair of Preachers. I shouldnt loose that much on the Nomads, certainly less than what my hire costs would have been this season

You know you want to!!!!!

Simon
latest report
Jehu, agreed - but the £ getting gang banged daily has made it slightly less affordable 165€ in Lech for a week... Shocked
snow report
Equation also varies depending where you live & ski...

Not living in the UK or Ireland I get free ski carriage... having the ability to leave skis in USA I have about 10 pair... all purchased at great prices from racers and hardly used by them....

Toofy Grin

Having skis in Ireland was annoying as you paid far too much to take them with you...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy