Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you carry with you while skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I dont I give it all to my husband ! Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nads wrote:

Bloody women, they'll be the death of us rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two reasons to think about for always carrying a survival blanket whatever level of skier you are and even if you never venture from the piste:

1. Getting stuck on a broken-down chair lift in wind and snow will chill you rapidly and if prolonged can be dangerous.

2. You, or anyone else who is injured and in shock can lose a lot of heat waiting for the pisteurs to arrive.

They are not expensive and don't take up much room in a jacket pocket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
Nads wrote:

Bloody women, they'll be the death of us rolling eyes

You're forgetting the fringe benefits... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr. Sheepmadang's camera
Mr Sheepmadang's mini video camera
Mr. Sheepmadang's goggles
Mr. Sheepmadang's mars bars
Mr Sheepmadang's wallet (don't mind that one so much)
Mr. sheepmadang's fleece when he gets too hot
Spare goggles for anyone else that needs to borrow them
Spare chocolate for anyone else that gets hungry.

My Sheewee.

I think this year I will strategically 'forget' my rucksack, and see what happens. All my stuff will fit in me pockets.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ccl,
Quote:

Two reasons to think about for always carrying a survival blanket whatever level of skier you are and even if you never venture from the piste:

1. Getting stuck on a broken-down chair lift in wind and snow will chill you rapidly and if prolonged can be dangerous.

2. You, or anyone else who is injured and in shock can lose a lot of heat waiting for the pisteurs to arrive.

Too true, I always have a survival blanket with my first aid kit - I have had to buy another for the next trip as the last one was used to help keep a friend warm waiting to be evacuated from the piste in the Dolomites when he broke his leg. As someone from a mountaineering background I always carry such things, and am surprised more skiers don't. In sub-zero temperatures you chill very rapidly when immobile.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I carry an attitude
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sheepmadang wrote:

My Sheewee.

I think this year I will strategically 'forget' my rucksack, and see what happens. All my stuff will fit in me pockets.

Shocked Is that what I think it is? Shocked

if so, wouldn't want it in my pockets Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Backpack

2 Hats
Spare gloves
Shades or Goggles (depending in which I'm wearing at the time)
Neck Warmer
Face Mask
Spare Piste Map
Water Flask
Video Camera (sometimes)
Carabiners (sp ?)
Foil Wrap
Chocolate
Peanuts
Spare Mircrofleece layer
Tissues
Bandage / Plasters / Neurofen 300's / Tape
Multitool
If touring will also take shovel, probe, maybe map and compass....
.... and sometimes "all of the above" for my charming wife, plus extra chocolate

In Jacket Pockets:
Camera
Fags & Lighter Embarassed
Piste Map
E111 Card / Insurance
Cash & Credit Cards
Ski Pass

Just read that again.... no wonder I'm knackered when I get back to the hotel at night!!! rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shovel
Probe
Camera
Spare gloves
Water
Chocolate bars
Piste Map
Sunglasses
Cash, credit and debit cards
Insurance details
Red Bull
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To carry or not to carry .....

I have to come out of the closet. MrRibena usually (willingly) carries a backpack and I stash all the stuff 'we' might need in it. It works well: I can rummage happily without him having to take it off. I'm going solo for the first time next week, so now it's decision time. Do I really need all the stuff or not because I'm not all that keen on skiing with a back-pack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm shocked that it seems like less that 30% of people on this forum carry sensible off piste gear Shocked

I guess its ok if you really are sticking to the pistes but...
I'm 19, and I regularly ski off piste (I spend 80% of my skiing off piste normally) and I will always have with me:
TRANSCEIVER - I never take it off, on piste, off piste, even sometimes in the restaurants (so I don't forget it (I don't think I'll get buried there)
Shovel - no good knowing where people are under the snow if you can't dig them out
Probe - not essential but very useful for finding poor buried people
Extra layers - if it gets cold
Choc - energy
Whistle - to gain attention
Water - need to hydrate
Tool
Map
Compass
at least one person in my group will have a first aid kit and thermal blanket.
And my ski rucksack is smaller than the rucksack I take everyday to uni (on my longboard)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jarman, As you summise there are a number of us on these boards that don't yet venture off piste so deem that we don't need off piste equipment
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jarman, welcome to snowHeads. You sound like a more experienced skier than many snowHeads: you must have started early. Rest assured that this is a very safety-conscious sort of place, I doubt that there are many who venture off-piste without the correct equipment.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jarman, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead You forgot the ball of red string that you should always have at the ready to throw out behind you in case of avalanche wink

[tiptoes slowly towards the door] Laughing
ski holidays
jarman wrote:

Welcome to snowHeads.

I think I'd put the probe into the essential category if you're carrying a shovel and a transceiver.
snow report
jarman wrote:

And the rich ones too presumably wink Laughing

Welcome to the madhouse snowHead
ski holidays
Highly reccommend carrying Insurance card or certificate if you don't do already. I had to get airlifted off the hill in Avoriaz the other week and showed the rescue bloke my insurance certificate which saved my credit card getting a good spanking!!! Smile
ski holidays
One thing I carry is a tiny fire steel. When heading off piste you can easily end up in the wrong valley with darkness setting in. I've done a bit of rough camping and sleeping out on mountains after climbing trips... with a shovel and the ability to get a fire going you can always make yourself comfortable in the woods overnight. Roast marmot anyone? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy