Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Davos Feb 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Davos
CH
Red 27

Feb 2009
4 day short solo break
Basics easy transfer very important on these short breaks, I flew cheap from London City to Zurich and then train - total journey cost £150 return
Lift system : Well they do like their trains and T-bars here that's for sure, but zero queueing apart from the Shifer Gondola above Klosters. I skied 3 days on the Parsenn and one at Jakobshorn, which is inferior IMV
The terrain : the Parsenn above Davos and particularly above Klosters has some brilliant piste skiing with every run having character and interest. The piste map does not do it justice
The snow : Loads of it, but warm (for Davos) so pistes softended in the PM and off piste was crusty
Off-piste : Massive - a guide needed for the best back country trips
The resort : well it's a town not a village and lacking in good bars - I don't give a hoot about that personally...
Accommodation : Hotel Victoria - lovely, with a great spa and even a gym. Breakfast was the best
Costs: normal...
Conclusion: A cracking resort, nice people, great pistes and no queues - don't believe the negative hype!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27,
Sounds like you had a great time. Interested in what you mean by Costs: normal. I have been to Davos a few times and always really enjoyed it but have thought it pricey by Swiss standards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar, I thought there seemed to be the normal range of places and costs to eat and drink - I certainly didn't notice things costing more. 6CHF for 500cl beer in the egg bar on the main street - 9CHF for a small beer and a large Doner Kebeb in Davos Platz shopping centre! Good pizza and 50cl house red 30CHF in the evening - all seemed about normal...

Some of the people are not so normal of course - I had a priceless crew of Californians Gen-X types on a table next to me in a bar - they had bravely ventured away from the Paulaner Stubli at the Arabella Sheraton and droned on about the shortcomings of United Business First - LOL.

Best mountain restaurant was the newish Grounbrat (similar...) by the four man chair - big bowl of pasta and meat sauce 18CHF.

Lift pass is costly I guess - 220chf for 4 days! have you tried the Hotel Victoria - I loved it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27,
I'm not very good at remembering exact costs but it has struck me in the past as being a bit pricier than most.
Not been to the Victoria stayed in a Garni a couple of times and an appartment and last year in the Sunstar which was OK. Favourite place was Schatzalp which was a bit pricey but I was on my honeymoon. Great hotel, unfortunatley they have closed the Strela area to which it gave immediate access and had some great off piste.
Will look out the Victoria when I next visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Davos in 3rd week of Jan 09. Staying in a pension paying 75 Euro per room per night B&B for two persons. That was cheaper than those in Flims, Engelberg and St Moritz which cost between 110 to 115 Euro per night, admittedly for a proper twin bed hotel room. Food was marginally more expensive or restaurants tend to be more upmarket in Davos.

I think the buses and the trains running parallel along the bases of the 5 unlinked resorts deserve a mention as it is one of the best integrated system I have come across. On two days I skied more than one area each day because it was so easy to hop into a bus or a train to try anther area.

Parsenn is way above the others in term of size and variety. Most of all the abundance of T bar is not apparent there.

It is also convenient to ski down one way to a bus stop or a train station which I found handy. There is a 17 km run with 2km vertical drop so cracking place to ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee,
Quote:

I think the buses and the trains running parallel along the bases of the 5 unlinked resorts deserve a mention as it is one of the best integrated system I have come across. On two days I skied more than one area each day because it was so easy to hop into a bus or a train to try anther area.

Seconded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, Hurtle, yes indeed, I forgot to mention the excellent buses free on the lift pass. the only thing that bugged me was that it seemed difficult to get to Klosters Dorf for the Medini (sp??) area...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27,

Ah, it is Madrisa you are talking about. Actually it is dead easy because there is a special bus just for ferrying skiers between the two areas. You will see it on any bus table. That bus delivers you door to door between gondola stations of Kloster Platz and Madrisa. Even taxi can't get that nearer. Remember it is printed on the bus table! Free as usual.

Madrisa is nice but does have a lot of T bars. The black run down to the bottom is also nice and easy. In fact many black runs leading to the base level in Davos are not steep but just narrow in place.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 8-03-09 2:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, ok - I'll believe you.... None of the buses that I could see from Davos went as far as Klosters, but I am unused to bus timetables so doubtless I wasn't looking hard enough. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out in detail next year!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27,

When I did Madrisa I skied with the wife from top of Parsenn to Kublis, via the red run No 56. This is a 17km run with 2km vertical drop. We caught a train back. The wife called it a day so I left her return to Davos alone and disembaked at Kloster Platz. The bus to Madrisa stops just outside the train station. The time table is shown at the bus stop. I was very impressed by the integrated bus and train systems. Not many trains have ski racks for the passengers like those in Davos.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red 27 - the train from Davos stops at Klosters Platz (for the Gotschnabahn) and one stop later at Klosters Dorf (for Madrisa), its a short walk up from the train station to where you get the Gondala.

Or you get off at Klosters Platz and hop on a bus next to the train station as Saikee mentions, I think its the number 6 that takes you to Madrisa and it stops right outside the Gondola Station so no walking at all.

My 5yo had her first week learning on Madrisa over Xmas 08, its got wonderful slopes to learn on, wide open and drenched in sunshine. There is also a fantastic 7km toboggan run too, that goes down into a nearby valley which I can vouch for. Smile

Glad you enjoyed Davos though, we very much enjoyed our week in Klosters.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kiwi, saikee, It was slightly annoying that the trains never seemed to stop at klosters Dorf - can't think why not - and so one always had to get the bus back from Klosters platz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy