Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing my nut in!!

Poster: A snowHead
First off, hi there. Been a lurker for a little while but after not really finding the awswer to my question through various posts I just feel I have to ask the question Very Happy
So, and this hurts, I'm 5,7" about 95Kgs and 37. There, said it.
That over, I'm a fairly decent skier on piste, don't care what I go down and generally do it with a lot of speed. I currently ski on Salomon Cossmax v10 which I like on the piste.
However, I'm getting a little bored of the piste now (I live in Geneva and ski every weekend) so have started venturing off and as you can imagine the Crossmaxs just aren't cut up for that.
I hired a pair of 1080s and apart from ON the piste they were the most fun I've had in ages.
I'm not bad in the powder but I want to get sooo much better and also on the bumps. My mate skied the Swiss Wall in PDS on Sunday and I just couldn't bring myself to go over the edge!! The shame Embarassed
So my question is what's the best ski to take me to the next level?? I want an all mountain ski that's going to be forgiving on the bumps, good in the pow and OK on the piste.
I was thinking the Salomon Lord and the Movement Spark but any ideas for and against would really be appreciated !!
Thanks everyone
Will
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will S, Afraid I can't help with the advice, but welcome to snowHeads
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will S, Welcome to snowHead . You will have plenty of options in this ski catagory. The lord would be top of my personal list but there are also Rossi Bandits Atomic Nomads and K2 Apache range. If you have the luxury of living near a resort best advice I could give would be to try and buy get down to a resort and test everything till you find somthing you like.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Will S, welcome to snowHead's.
Quote:

So my question is what's the best ski to take me to the next level??
Probably not what you want to hear but you could try lessons. rolling eyes

To answer your question directly, try some big stiff AMs; Head Monsters (or whatever they're flogging these days), K2 Apache Recons, Elan Magfire 82s. FWIW, I always found Rossi and Salomon a bit soft for my BMI (excluding the Salomon Equipe SC slalom skis, which rip!) and used to be much happier with Atomic SX's, GS's etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will S, Welcome to snowheads. Movement skis rock, I have flames and Gladiators - Sparks might be a good compromise if you think the Gladiators are perhaps too big for you (I'm 5'9", 77kg, similar age)

but yes, lessons will make more of a difference than skis....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all, and thanks for the welcomes and fast replies!
I am taking my weeks holiday around mid to late March and the plan is to take lessons in the morning and ski with the better half in the afternoon so should be ok by the end of the week Very Happy
Just thought that if I intend to spend more time off than on then it's probably worth while also changing the planks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will S, Welcome to snowHeads.

There's a special offer on Icelantic skis at the moment to snowHead members from kiwi1 in the Buy & Sell section. Get the Pilgrim model in 179cm. And with the exchange rate going your way they'll work out even cheaper. The 179cm Pilgrim is a superb all mountain ski. I've skied it quite a bit (I'm 5'9" & your weight) so I know it will do everything on your wish list. I've skied the Lord & the Spark & would say that the Pilgrim performs similar off-piste but is superior on piste & in bumps. BTW, I used to sell the Icelantics but the distributor has changed for next year & the prices have rocketed so I won't sell them next season. I'm kicking mysef now that I didn't keep a pair of the 179 Pligrims for myself rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scott Missions. Go anywhere. Reasonable on piste - delightful off.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok.

Line prophet 100 in a 186.
Armada ARV in 185.
Scott Punisher in 183.
Volkl Mantra 183.

My personal choice. K2 Obsethed is 105mm and 15/20 rockered in a 179/189 (go big imo). Will rip on and off piste. Buy some, infact someone is selling a pair on here i think for around £300. Another choice is the Armada JJ which is 105? or so underfoot. Will kill it on the mountain and theres a pair on ebay as we speak.

I cant believe people are recommending anything under 85mm for offpiste action. Anything under 90 isnt a true all mountain ski imo and considering you already have piste skis would go 100+ like the Obsethed for sure. 100mm is NOT a truely fat ski, 120+ is. 100mm skis still do fine in the piste and the 96mm Mantra will carve like a race ski if you want it to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OFFSake! Get a snowboard Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, last weekend went to Les Carroz and popped in to hire a pair off the list as there'd been a nice dump for the previous 3 days.
My list was:
Salomon Lords
Scott missions, Crusades
K2 Xplorer
Line Prophet 90/100
Vokl Mantra
Head Monsters
Vokl AC30s

Out of all of these he only had the Lords! AND he only had them in a 169.
So I took them!
After a full day all over the place in them I thought they, for me, were springy out of the turn, definately sketchy at high speeds on the piste, didn't float that great and dived quite a bit (although I'm sure that's got a lot to do with my technique!)
Also, they were brand new never used skis and after only 1 day they had laminate issues front and back Embarassed
So, do you think they were just too short for me? I'm guessing so but alls views welcomed!
Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
OFFSake! Get a snowboard Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, there's nothing like a snowboard in the bumps wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will S, good list! I've had a similar list this season and rarely had much choice, but have eventually ended up with something I wanted - I may be getting fussier but rental options options haven't seemed as good for the past year or so. I may have to take the plunge and buy a pair again - of course that means finding a few different skis to demo first!!

Interesting on the Lords - I wanted to try some this season but haven't spotted any yet. I'm slightly less keen now Smile, although 169 does seem pretty short. How tall are you and what do you normally ski on?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will S, too short to float well at your weight. I weigh a bit less than you and have the 1080s in 174 and am ok with them on piste - except for ice. Bear in mind that most twin tips ski shorter than their nominal length.

If you are going to stay on piste - I would recommend the Nomad Crimsons as a single ski - available cheaply from conrad sport - even though I am just swapping mine for some slalom skis. But - if you are keeping the crossmaxs I suspect you should go fatter as sps89 says.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 11-03-09 13:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ignore that - just read your opening post. Yeah, maybe OK for your height but possibly not your weight!

(edit: yep, stoatsbrother beat me to it)
ski holidays
Will S, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Have a couple of hours worth of private lessons before committing to new ski's
Quote:

the Swiss Wall in PDS on Sunday and I just couldn't bring myself to go over the edge!! The shame

New ski's wont help you overcome that shame. Toofy Grin
snow report
Just saw a pair of Lords delam last week. No idea if this is a common issue or not. Two people had them in our group - the skis made in Romania (but used more) delammed, the other ones were new, made in France and stayed together.
snow report
169s are way too short for a 95kg dude unless you're doing slalom. i weigh that much and my everyday skis are 186, and my big guns are 194. i am a bit taller than you but still...
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
169s are way too short for a 95kg dude unless you're doing slalom. i weigh that much and my everyday skis are 186, and my big guns are 194. i am a bit taller than you but still...

It's gonna be a full car on Friday, thank goodness I'm driving Smile
latest report
kitenski, only bringing one pair. but which one????? Madeye-Smiley

edit: glad you're driving - more booze for me in the lounge Cool
snow report
Arno wrote:
kitenski, only bringing one pair. but which one????? Madeye-Smiley

edit: glad you're driving - more booze for me in the lounge Cool

Choices, choices, I reckon if I just have the 1 bottle of red, and a few pints, I'll be fine by the time we land Wink
snow conditions
Talk about nicking my thread wink
OK, so taking advice I'll be looking for 177s and higher in anything this weekend.
That's if these Frenchies actually stock anything I want wink
Cheers folks!
snow report
Will S wrote:
Out of all of these he only had the Lords! AND he only had them in a 169.
...sketchy at high speeds on the piste...

....didn't float that great and dived quite a bit

Sorry Will S, but it sounds to me that you definitely need lessons more than you need new skis for off-piste.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, that may well be true as well but wouldn't problems at high speeds and lack of floatation also be consistent with skis too short?
latest report
alan empty, problems at speed more an issue of ski shape (these days). Floatation probably of technique...
snow report
Quote:

Sorry Will S, but it sounds to me that you definitely need lessons more than you need new skis for off-piste.

Lessons are defo needed and I'm not denying that for a second Blush Would take a lesson this weekend if there was any pow to be had!
At the same time, I don't think my Salomon Crossmax 10s are meant to be taken anywhere other than down the nearest black!
Just trying to help myself Puzzled
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend anyone in the Grande Massif area or PDS for lessons??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy