Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Designer creates 'catamaran' skis to double the edges

Poster: A snowHead
Charlie Pyott, a California-based product designer, has come up with a concept in ski design that doubles the number of skis and edges in use. From Yanko Design magazine:

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/03/03/pro-skiers-will-really-like-this/

He explains the design principles as follows:

Quote:
“The ski concept was purpose built for racing. Skis and snowboards share a lot of properties with boat hull design; in that longer and thinner proportions give more speed on hard-pack snow. The number of edges also helps maintain downhill speed in a turn. This can be seen when comparing standard skis vs a snowboard when turning at high speeds. The snowboard only has a single edge to turn on and therefore has fewer grips on the hill in a turn then a skier who can use two edges. This means that a snowboarder will have to check their speed to stay on a racecourse before a skier. The concept ski takes both of these ideas a step further, giving two longer and thinner surfaces under each foot and four turning edges. Offset bearings mean that all ski surfaces stay parallel under each foot.”

The illustrations look to be conceptual, rather than based on prototypes. I suspect that the bearings and their mountains would be under a huge amount of stress in race conditions or bumps etc. Side-slipping could be a bit strange. Also, I wonder if the skis would be stable at high speed? That said, it would be interesting to see the idea worked up and tested.

Anyone like to finance this? [one assumes that's why he's floated the thinking]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-03-09 12:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This further report from DVice suggests that prototypes do exist, though "no data on whether anyone's actually skied on them":

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/03/twin_parabolic.php
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem with something like this is that it completely changes the dynamics of the ski, for instance you now have two parallel skis under each foot, therfore you need to reduce the stiffness of the ski, because otherwise you won't carve a turn but will instead just try to skid, however with dual edges that skid might well turn into a crash Shocked

I hope he can find a crazy enough skier to try them but it won't be me wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting industrial design concept, but it just isn't going to work in real life. A classic case of over-complication IMV. You would have to be seriously brave to fund a project like this for commercial gain. One for the Dragon's den?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it April the 1st already? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pressure = force / area, hence why we sharpen edges to get better edge hold. By having 2 edges you double the area and so get half the pressure. I like my race skis to have good edge hold thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could be like razor blades, why stop at two edges per ski?
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An over-engineered solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I'm out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent ! Now where are Masque and V8 when you need them, these could yet qualify for Snowheads Gold if not the next Olympics
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One problem would be hitting something minor, like a bit of exposed vegetation. An ordinary ski just gets deflected a bit and a competent skier will adjust and recover easily enough. A stiff-ish twig would get directed between the "hulls" until it smacked into the "bridge" - with face-plant to follow.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 4-03-09 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What a fantastic piece of Photo-shopping, might be an idea for most skiers to start using the two edges they already have before getting more.

This is total nonsense anything caught or even passing between the mini skis, twig, ice, etc. will stop them rotating with disastrous consequences.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so should I have all my weight on one ski, two skis, three or four?

P1sh.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've emailed the designer regarding the above:

Quote:
Hi Charlie

We're discussing your ski concept on snowHeads.com:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50208

Please could you explain what happens if a piece of rooted vegetation, or a slalom pole, goes between the two skis?

Regards
David
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would be a nightmare to engineer, all the images so far seem to show the joined skis with their bases flat whilst the boot is canted over, that won't work, you turn by digging one edge in otherwise you will just skid, the linkage to make the skis cant when you lean to one side or the other would be interesting, then as I mentioned earlier there's the flex of the ski to take into account, the possibility of material being jammed between the two skis has been mentioned etc etc etc....

It's an interesting idea I suppose but I think it needs a lot more development work
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
so should I have all my weight on one ski, two skis, three or four?

P1sh.

Laughing

P1sh indeed.
snow conditions
It looks to me an over-engineered peice designed by non-skier.

If the "designer" really have more than half a brain, he/she should employ the design on snowboard first. At the very least, it would be only HALF as complicated. Wink

This reminds me of a design I once saw on a high school "Science Fair". The youngster, full of imagination, designed a future generation of space shuttle by simply pile many car/train/airline "features" onto the spacecraft and made it about 10 times larger. In his believe, it would be more useful if it would do more things and carry bigger loads. Being one of the "judges", I asked him "have you calculated the gross weight, and the corresponding extra fuel weight to lift such a load?". His answer was "Oh, I hadn't thought about that. But it'll just be a little bit bigger!" Shocked

In short, I think the designer is somewhat amaturish and hadn't thought the design through. More importantly, the "judges" in yahoodesign.com hadn't a clue on how ski/snowboard works so the design passed the filter (if there IS a filter).
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I've emailed the designer regarding the above:

Quote:
Hi Charlie

We're discussing your ski concept on snowHeads.com:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50208

Please could you explain what happens if a piece of rooted vegetation, or a slalom pole, goes between the two skis?

Regards
David

Well, clearly, what you could do is put another narrower ski between the other two thereby eliminating the rooted herb problem and giving the user an extra pair of edges. ie 6 edges for the price of 4. That should be grippy enough but might make quite a big scraping sound. As a parallel instance, Gillette "The best a man can get" first offered the twin blade for that closest ever shave feeling. Realising that that wasn't close enough, we got the triple blade and now, just as blokes are deciding not to shave very often, we have the quadruple version - I confess that as soon as I realised that the world's top sports stars were using it, I upped and threw out that BIC disposable once and for all.

The racing ski version could have pincers on the front to snare unsuspecting slalom poles. This design stuff is easy really.
snow conditions
Thank you, Swiller. Please give us your history of shaving foams.
snow report
Is this the time to mention my invaluable skiing device, on sale near a ski lift next season, it's a Norikson Skiman invented in 2007. It combines a 3MP camera, 27.5GB MP3 player, GPS tracker, altitude, and data logger, blackberry E-mail, with a hi bandwith communication device, and all packaged into a folding multi-purpose, red with a little white cross, tool holder that extends to include a probe and binding attachment crosshead checking device,...

but with a new attachment for 2010 to clear the stones and twigs out of twin skis... wink

Could also come in useful for all those snowheads stuffing their rucksacks full on the other thread
snow report
abc,
Quote:
If the "designer" really have more than half a brain, he/she should employ the design on snowboard first. At the very least, it would be only HALF as complicated.
Been done! Used to be called 'Swingbo', where you stood sideways on a platform with two skis under you. I used to see them on the pistes around here occasionally, but not for at least 15 years!
snow report
WayneC wrote:
Is this the time to mention my invaluable skiing device, on sale near a ski lift next season, it's a Norikson Skiman invented in 2007. It combines a 3MP camera, 27.5GB MP3 player, GPS tracker, altitude, and data logger, blackberry E-mail, with a hi bandwith communication device, and all packaged into a folding multi-purpose, red with a little white cross, tool holder that extends to include a probe and binding attachment crosshead checking device,...

When you perfect the attachments for expresso, Vin blanc, Ricard & Geneppy i will sell thousands for you to my fellow ESF instructors wink
snow conditions
stewart woodward, why do you need all the other attachments? What can you not achieve with a decent bottle of Ricard (I really like the special edition yellow "Provence" bottles, I'm amazed they haven't produced an insulated one in red for the Pulls Rouges)
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
abc,
Quote:
If the "designer" really have more than half a brain, he/she should employ the design on snowboard first. At the very least, it would be only HALF as complicated.
Been done! Used to be called 'Swingbo', where you stood sideways on a platform with two skis under you. I used to see them on the pistes around here occasionally, but not for at least 15 years!

I see. So the doubling of edges did nothing on snowboards but the designer believe it would work on skis, with twice the complexity? rolling eyes
ski holidays
The concept is certainly provoking varied comments. Here's one from 'DancesOnSnow':
Quote:
As a professional Ski Instructor, my first reaction to this was to vomit

Source: http://dvice.com/archives/2009/03/twin_parabolic.php

On the other hand, 'ann' says:
Quote:
I find it hard to beleive that a simple and innovative idea like this has taken so long to emerge. Amazing!

Source: http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/03/03/pro-skiers-will-really-like-this/

Who to believe?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy