Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere or St Anton 11th of Aprill

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
just wanted peoples opinion on which resort they think will have the best skiing Claviere or St Anton departing 11th/12th April. It is slightly more dificult than that because I have been to St. Anton twice and would really like to try Claviere, but I know how good St. Anton can be. Will we able to ski most of the Milkyway at that time of year?

Cheers Rob.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robyouth, the links around the milkyway will almost certainly be closed by then. Claviere and StA could not be more different, Claviere is small and quiet suitable for families with kids.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, so basically it is likely that we could just be stuck in claviere?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't be stuck in Claviere - at worst you can take the bus to Montgenevre.

If you want to ski the other parts of the Milky Way, then you'll need to download on the Mont de la Luna lifts to Cesana, then back up the gondola into the middle of San Sicario, and then chairs further up towards Sestriere - but be aware this takes ages and you don't end up doing a lot of skiing.

And do check the resort closing dates.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looking at the snow depths this year i would think with the new lift system at Montgenevere the links with Claviere will be open in April
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I would go to St Anton but it depends who you're going with, skiing ability, requirements for apres / nightlife, type of accommdation you want....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robyouth, milky way is too far south and west for late April - you would be taking a real chance of poor conditions even in this bumper year. Go to St A
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW, Neither Montgenvre or Claviere will be closed that early. They typically shut last week of April, not sure what the date is this year.

red 27, He isn't going in late April for a start. It is south and west, but last year the skiing was very good. They had lots of powder and heavy snowfall during the period.

Claviere and Montgenevre's height is a beneficial factor. The links will be open, may require taking lifts down and back up again to access Sestriere and Sauze, but the link with Montgenvre will most probably be open. There is quite a bit of skiing in the Monts de la Lune area (Montgenevre and Claviere)

I wouldn't worry too much about the snow, as it has been a brilliant year with a large base. I'd pick the resort which best suits you and your skiing. If you are looking for a challenge, I'd pick St.Anton. But if you want intermediate cruising with the potential for some good off piste then Claviere with Montgenevre isn't a bad place.

St. Anton is 1300m I believe. I haven't been there so couldn't comment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, take your points - and I love the milky way, but St A is smack bang in the middle of the coldest most land locked section af the alps, and Claviere ain't and that matters in april. Yes the base will stay, but all will be slush by 2.00pm and that may not be the case in the Arlberg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to the Milky Way at Easter before and we had decent snow high up til about 1-2 pm but the resort runs to Sauze were closed due to no snow... This year there is a good snowbase and as long as we don't get a heatwave in the next month you should be ok.... expect freeze thaw conditions wherever you go at that time of year but as a general rule, higher the better and North Facing runs are of benefit. For me, it's still St Anton!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robyouth, Have been to both (Arlberg 7 times, Claviere once) - you will be disappointed in Claviere. St Anton rocks - just back from Stuben today Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, Did you have a great time? Did you find the Madloch in pristine condition?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, Stuben delievered exactly what I'd hoped, ie quiet, great ski runs, good convenience to its bigger neighbours. Loads of snow, in fact snow was surprisngly better than the snow at St Anton or Lech (did not manage Zurs strangely enough). Only thing I could change was the weather - snowed too much which made visability high up terrible. As a result we stayed around Stuben a couple of days as the run down Albona had good visability and great snow - the snow lower down at Lech was nowhere near as good as in Stuben despite the better visability. Managed to get my 5 year old to ski with all 10 of us from Stuben to Mooserwirt on day 3, then down in dark to St Anton for taxi back to Stuben. Really liked the Hotel Hubertushof and food was excellent, although not quite as good as the Montana (but I don't think I'm being too fair on the Hubertushof). Did not manage the Weiss Ring as one of my brother-in-laws kids was not up to the challenge and in fairness the visability was poor for most of the week so it would not really have made sense to take 5 kids between the ages of 8 and 15 down a ski route in poor visiability. Anyway on a complete downer now that I'm home. Will need to see if I can manage a long weekend away somewhere Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robyouth, I did Montgenevre/Claviere in late March, lots of snow fell, but it was too warm, got quite slushy and refrozen lower down and on the south-facing side.

All things being equal, I'd plump for St Anton, I'm just back from the Arlberg, there's so much snow piled up and as others have said, it's just about the coldest/snowiest part of the Alps so should keep well and potential for plenty more before you arrive.

boabski, now I know what your tagline means, I heard it full blast at the Mooserwirt, along with about 800 boot-stomping revellers, mad!!! Shocked

Now I understand why you rave on about the Arlberg. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy