Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

powder skiing - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Discussion on leaning back ......

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/68923/skiing-in-powder-fore-aft-balance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
............................................................................. (cough Blush ) snowboard ............................................................. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, that is exceptionally clear and helpful (I too was wondering.) Thank you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfj197, DON'T LEAN BACK.

By leaning back, you have less control of your skis. Your skis might go in the direction you don't want it to. You want to remain balanced on your skis, such as on the front of your toes almost.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You get knocked around in variable snow much more than you do on piste, so you spend a lot more time trying to recover to your balanced position. No such thing as a fixed stance because you're moving fore and aft quite a lot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:

1) Legs together - pretend you are standing on a tray or a mono-ski.
2) Do things slowly - as snatching > legs apart > uphill > fall.
3) Breathe at least once each turn - keep a rhythm going.
4) Turn as often but go less away from the fall line.
5) Don't lean back unless either it is quite stodgy - or you are already at speed and floating well.
6) More up and down unweighting can help you get shorter turns going - although looks a bit old-school.
7) Pretend there is someone down the hill videoing you - and look at them
Cool Hands forward
9) Enjoy

I agree with everything said above.

Been trying to crack powder for the last few years. I've had plenty of instruction but its only this year that I did what I would call real powder turns (one or two anyway, but something to build on).
Up to now I haven't fallen over much, lost skis or been out of control. What I have been is absolutely knackered which isn't how it should be.
For me the difference this year has been:
1. slowing everything down and not being in a hurry to get the turn started - hang in the fall line a bit longer.
2. Stay over the skis - I've developed a defensive habit of leaning into the turn which I'm trying to break.
3. Increase my range of movement

Off to Chamonix next week for some more practice Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a lesson.

50 / 50 weighting on flat skis when both skis are in the fall line
Then patience
As powder is unconsolidated allow the platform underneath your skis to develop rather than manufacture it. This translates to the ratio of weighting between the uphill and downill ski developing so that you're balanced to the hill.
Stay longer in the leg for a longer time. As you'll be lighter on your feet this will make it easier to pivot your skis across the fall line to manage your momentum

I WOULD'NT

Lean back
Sit on the tongues of your boots
Make abrupt movements
Search for edge and performance
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda wrote:
mfj197, you're a brave man, that's for sure Shocked

She was at least as enthusiastic as me! And we're still getting married, and are out again to the slopes from this weekend so harmony has (currently) been maintained. Very Happy

Interesting discussion regarding leaning back. Perhaps that was a poor choice of phrase from me, and I should have put "adjust attitude rearwards as necessary to remain in balance" or something. Whatever, it works!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As stoatsbrother said, don't lean back except in very heavy conditions in order to keep going (but you shouldn't be skiing stuff like that unless you are quite advanced). It may seem to help when you are starting and on a big open slope with very light powder but you lose proper control of steering the skis and won't be able to ski heavier powder at all like that.

If you normally ski a turn by swivelling quickly and then skidding you will find skiing powder difficult. A good carving technique should be the best start for skiing off piste, though skiing deep, light powder has something in common with slow-motion bump skiing.

Personally I don't ski off piste with my feet close together but it does help most people in trying to use and weight both skis similarly and simultaneously, rather than going off in different directions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfj197, actually I wasn't referring to your gf, I was referring to your mention of "leaning back" in a discussion of powder technique Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On fat skees there's no need to leen back. On regular ones the leening slightly back with skis together helps. You make smth. like platform against snow pressure. IMHO.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda wrote:
mfj197, actually I wasn't referring to your gf, I was referring to your mention of "leaning back" in a discussion of powder technique Laughing Laughing

Oh, fair enough! I wasn't aware there was such a stigma associated with the phrase! I was referring to deep stuff though, where an element of rearwards movement of the body is required relative to on-piste skiing to compensate for the increased drag of the snow on one's feet. The discussion DB posted above covered it well. In more shallow powder the overall technique is pretty similar to carving I find.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 11-03-09 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'd disagree 100% with leaning back

me too - I am struggling to keep my weight forward in powder and recognising that I tend to drop back. Watched Warren Smith again last night - useful tips. I did a few fairly successful runs down slopeside powder on the gradient of a blue/gentle red yesterday, and that's the right gradient for me at the moment. My best one was turning in time to whatever was on m MP3 player. I agree with Christopher that digging yourself out can be a right pain, because it's so exhausting - fortunately the only time I fell yesterday was on an extremely smooth, very nicely groomed gentle blue piste. Can't think why - wasn't paying attention, enjoying the fantastic sensation of the sun on the mountains when, for once, I had got on the first lift. Tripped over the edge of my fat skis! I'm afraid of losing a ski, too - and always have DINS very low. I have powder traces somewhere, and must dig them out, though given my very minor dabbling in the powder I do feel a total fraud wearing them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powder traces (streamers) sound great and I hope they work for you, but personally I find that the snow just pulls them out from under my trousers on the first run down and they end up trailing behind me. Possibly they might work in that rare, very light powder...

Here is a totally gratuitous pic which illustrates nothing discussed above, of a woman who skied with us last year at Engelberg. I just like it.

(Taken by my friend John Kotke - reproduced with his permission)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, ..or when the snow is so deep and pretty heavy that you just feel that your skis can be ripped off very easily should you lose balance..and because the snow is so deep and pretty heavy you are going to have real job finding them... even if you haven't fallen far..

Like most things, they are a faff most of the times...and do you risk it..??

In deeper snow...rhythm is the key, IMV...and it is easy to try and force the turn..which can then result in a series of recoveries. So getting the feel of going fast but being able to ski that speed takes confidence and commitment. There is nothing worse than linking very slow pained turns which do not flow into the next one..and when things get trickier, this method will not work at all.
latest report
JT, yes, linked, unforced turns are so much easier.
I have given up on powder traces but I haven't had a difficult hunt for several years.

PS last Saturday (my last day in the Dolomites) was possibly my best day skiing ever with Zeb, our great guide - very light, untracked powder, couloirs, steep slopes, trees, big (for me) drop-offs to jump into deep powder..... Just wonderful.
snow conditions
snowball, unkind of you to mention it... wink

Still, I am off to Zinal this weekend for a few days and hope to catch good snow as well.... the map looks very nice at the moment..was still snowing last time I looked...
snow report
Powder and deep snow requires a different technique. You don't mention what gear you are on but fatter and softer skis will make it easier.

1. Rent some skis 90mm wide or more and preferably not too stiff
2. Get a decent amount of speed so you feel the skis start to float
3. With evenly weighted skis 'bounce' from side to side, this flexes them allowing them to turn
4. Don't lean back!

Don't chicken out on skiing steeper slopes, the powder will slow you down a lot and too shallow a slope you may not get up to speed as easily.
snow report
This thread also needs a gratuitous pic of snowball skiing powder, taken on the day he mentions in his post above.

(St Anton on Sunday wasn't bad either, but Saturday in Cortina still rules!)
ski holidays
snowball, very envious ... Going green Good photo!
latest report
Aha, just waiting for all those pooled photos to arrive on a stick.
Glad sunday was good too but Saturday was special.
snow report
stoatsbrother, you missed...

10) Whoop and a hollarh
latest report
Relax, relax, relax.
Allow some speed to build.
Keep your shoulders down the fall line or at least do not let them swing into the turn too fast (over-rotation a la NBT photo montage).
Be light on your feet (which you can be if you are moving at a reasonable pace and therefore floating a bit).
Ski on two feet in the middle of the ski.

Smile 'cos it's the only reason we do this sport and welcome to skiing in its real form...
snow report
...and remember it can still be fun even if the sun don't shine!
snow conditions
Powderhound, I imagine just a moment after the last photo you hit the lower edge of the picture and fell over?
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Powderhound, I imagine just a moment after the last photo you hit the lower edge of the picture and fell over?

Laughing
latest report
snowball, certainly very probable!
snow report
Photo (of Mrs Chris ) reminding me of the best day of this season, skiing waist deep pow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for all your very helpful tips.

Only 2 sleeps to go now and I can try and put it all into practice. The snow gods appear to have been very kind and there seems a lot of gorgeous new snow and deserted terrain awaiting us. Hope I make some progress - If I can't this year I'm not sure I ever will!

Thanks again all.
snow conditions
Quote:

but basically you just need to keep your feet close together, lean backwards

I'd agree 100% with kitenski's 100% disagreement. You absolutely do NOT need to lean back. In fact the opposite is true - on a catskiing trip in Canada the guide told our group that it is imperative that, when skiing deep/steep powder, it is imperative to face down the fall line & push your shins against the fronts of your boots to ensure that your weight is kept forward. You then turn your feet across the fall line.
latest report
The instruction we had last week was to adopt a slightly narrower stance than on piste but not nail the feet together but to concentrate on even pressure. Posture was an interesting subject, hips away from the slope and over the skis, upper body counterbalancing into the slope - ski like a banana, pretty much the reverse of on piste angulation.
Flat skis and steered turns.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy