Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyre in a hurry - where?

Poster: A snowHead
OH has just smacked one against the kerb. It's a Dunlop Sport M3. At first sight it's not easy to get any snowtyre in a hurry, let alone a specific one, but can somebody more knowledgeable tell me whether there are any compatibility problems if I can get hold of another make? Size is 195 60 R15, speed rating T.

We leave on Thursday (or that was the plan....) An option would be to drive down into France and buy another there. However, I have found that French tyre sellers are adamant about selling you two at a time, absolutely same make (that's why I have the two Dunlops, with two Michelin snow tyres on the back - a tyre place in Albertville would not sell one Dunlop to go with three Michelins). Local tyre company here insisted that any similar tyre would be OK (they suggested Pirelli, but even so not available immediately). Not sure who to believe and I have no wish to buy two snow tyres if one would do.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try micheldever tyres, micheldever station...big importer/distributor and also fit to the public.

Got mine there and they generally know their stuff...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett, thanks. I did try them, but for some reason their phone isn't working tonight - message said "this phone is out of order or may have been left off the hook".

will try again in a while.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pam.....have you done aquick web search on winter tyres (mytyres/blackcircle) etc....they usually have stock will deliver to a tyre depot of your choice next day......has worked for me in past when requirement was urgent.

Good luck......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
unfortunately, was getting towards closing down time - will have to get back to them first thing in the morning. I got our original ones from blackcircle, who were amongst the few who could produce snowtyres - and they were fitted at a small local tyre depot which we've used ever since to swap the winter/summer tyres twice a year.

if we have to delay till Friday it's not going to be the end of the world. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Friends recently used the French equivalent of mytyres (this I think) and got them shipped to somewhere near to Les Houches for fitting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Micheldever, but Bertie Bassett has already said that! Toofy Grin
Their fax number is working 01962 774511 if that's any help!
They are open from 8 in the morning Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, thanks. Have had a look, and they do exactly the tyre I want, and at a sensible price (just a bit cheaper than UK, despite the exchange rate). They were bought in France originally, and highly recommended by the guy who fitted them, and I don't think they're very common in the UK. That might be the best idea. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I get mine in Geneva as they are/were much cheaper than France ... www.speedy.fr and put Geneva ( as written!) into the location finder and it is very easily accessible .. they also hold my 'other season' tyres but not cheap.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, getting one down there is going to be the best I think. So, next question.... my spare is one of the Michelin Pilot Alpin tyres (same as the two on the rear). Will there be any compatibility problems running down at speed to the Alps with one Dunlop and one Michelin snow tyres on the front axle (do cars have axles these days or am I showing my age/gender/ignorance?).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll sort out another ordinary tyre onto the spare rim, tomorrow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't know how to change a thread title. Embarassed My new question is whether it's OK to mix a Michelin Alpin Pilot and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on the front of the car. Both in good nick, same speed rating.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, It's OK, as long as there isn't a huge difference in tread depth.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One should always try and keep the same make of tyre on one 'axle'. Although size and speed rating may be the same the carcase construction and compounds almost certainly will not be.
BTW, my all season Vredestein Quatrac 3 from Camskills in Cumbria ( www.camskill.co.uk ) worked a treat in the last few weeks both here and on the the trip to St Anton. You will have to wait till next season for a summer and wear report. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're mixing tyres across an axle surely the safest way would be to put the 'pair' on the front (most of the braking, all the steering) and the odd ones at the back. Even moreso if the car's a FWD.
snow report
Thanks everyone. I've decided to take a kind of common denominator of what I've read here and elsewhere. I'll get the tyres swapped round so that the front (driving) wheels have two identical Dunlops, the mixed Dunlop/Michelin on the back and swap one of my summer tyres onto the spare wheel. If we damage another snow tyre, what we buy to replace it will depend what's bust. snowHead
ski holidays
They're both good quality winter tyres, the difference in performance really is marginal, if they're both of very similar tread depth. Each tyre will normally 'see' a different road condition in snow/ice anyway.
latest report
Whatever you do, put the grippier tyres on the BACK of the car.

If you put them on the front, you will run the risk of losing the back end, and end up facing the wrong direction. Embarassed

I'm not quite sure about the makes you mention, but if it's a new tyre, it should go on the back.
ski holidays
they should all be equally grippy - they're all similar in terms of wear (and good). The question is more whether, if I am going to have a mix of Michelin/Dunlop on either the front or the back, it's best to have the mix at the front or the back.
snow conditions
Don't want to worry you, pamw, but all the things I've read recently stress you should always fit winter tyres in sets of four - ie four the same. Sad
snow conditions
Only if it's a Subaru, SkiGranny.
snow report
Poor pam w,

Yes, No and Maybe
Here, There and Nowhere
Mix, Dont Mix and Maybe
Left, Right and Either
Front, Back and Neither

Twisted Evil

At least someone will be able to say 'Told You So' Toofy Grin
snow report
One thing - there's so much completely conflicting information out there that whatever I do, I'll be in line with someone's recommendation.

Laughing
snow report
pam w, sounds silly but have you tryed Costco they do winter tyres as I have purchased some from there at a good price not sure if they will have them in stock but its worth a try Very Happy Very Happy rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
Ah well. Seems that OH lost the key for the locking wheel nut - went back to where he changed the wheel, it's gone.

Men, eh? Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy