Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all , i'm off to do the Haute Route at the begining of April and what i'm interested in is any tips or advice on what to take or what not to take (apart from the obvious things like skis) . Very Happy
Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
presumably the organiser will send you a kit list?
take as little a possible on top of what is on the list - you have to carry it all
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mistermouse, Pack your bag with what you think you need, then take everything out again and put it back in the drawer, as your guide will only throw it away when you meet up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Make sure you get your clothing right.

When I did the Haute Route some years ago, I had only previously done relatively short day tours previously, therefore I did not have the ideal clothing for long climbs.

Depending on the weather you can get very hot going up. I suggest you get the kind of ski pants that you can unzip all the way up the legs and a light coloured upper body base layer, possibly short sleeved.

On two days despite stripping off as best I could, I was uncomfortably hot and on one of those days I arrived at the hut quite badly dehydrated.

I recovered though and despite those problems I still thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
from a "pants" point of view, i think some lightweight trecking pants (in a quick-drying fabric), along with some very light waterproof/windproof overtrousers (which you can put on without taking off boots) is the best solution.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

light coloured upper body base layer

richjp, thats a good tip, most of my base layers are black and i roasted in the sun when on a few, very short skins.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am thinking of Haute Route next winter with my brother and a good friend of mine. We are actually at the stage of checking organisers or private guides. The question regarding the gear is if we will be better of buying skis and bindings or does it make any sense trying to rent touring skis and boots? If we are buying, what should we pay particular attention to, how about the width of the skis, what boots... Tips and ideas are all welcome!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another question that just occurred to me - I've seen folks in videos doing the Haute Route with normal ski boots. Is this really feasible?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
depends how comfortable they are
i'd be glad of the vibram sole on touring boots but you can always use crampons if you are worried about slipping
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
demos wrote:
Another question that just occurred to me - I've seen folks in videos doing the Haute Route with normal ski boots. Is this really feasible?

When I did the Haute Route there were I think about about sixteen of us in the group with three guides.

Two of the group used normal boots. One of them was doing major surgery on his feet at the end of the first day and quite a bit more as the week went on. At the end of the first day his feet looked a mess and I was surprised that he went on to complete the trip. The other person seemed to cope reasonably well.

I hired touring boots as I only go skinning occasionally. I have quite a problem getting normal boots to fit, in fact my current regular boots are now about ten years old, however I was OK hiring touring boots. Touring boots are a lot softer and although they felt bit odd on the first day I cannot recall any problems.

For doing the occasional day tour I do use my downhill boots but for something like a week doing the Haute Route, I would definitely recommend hiring touring boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
depends how comfortable they are
i'd be glad of the vibram sole on touring boots but you can always use crampons if you are worried about slipping

I agree that the vibram soles are a great help for any scrambling bits.

We still carried crampons on our trip as well but the conditions were such that we never needed them. As a relatively inexperienced ski tourer, I would prefer to avoid the use of crampons if possible. For me fiddling around with them, maybe with cold hands, if you are not practiced in fixing them on quickly is something that is best avoided if possible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richjp, sometimes you need crampons no matter what. not having done the HR, not sure how many places they are really necessary - no doubt depends on conditions on the day amongst other things
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
there is a report in the INgear Section of Sunday times on the Haute route pages 6&7. you must be nuts!!!! tells you what gear you should take as well wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys, this is helpful. I hear from some fellow Finns who have done the route that it is indeed feasible in normal ski boots, but I am really grateful for this. Perhaps it is indeed worth starting to think that perhaps it's best to hire or buy. Now did anyone have issues with rental touring boots? Did you have your own footbeds with you?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
demos, it's going to be a bit awkward on the longer climbs, but one of these could come in useful.
snow conditions
richmond, I generally agree with the idea of making things easy, but then it wouldn't be the same, would it.
snow report
I'm doing it the week after next (eek!)

My boots are black diamond methods, but I'm renting skis. I had a day on the rental touring skis last week and was perfectly happy with them so I've decided not to get any just yet - mostly because I don't have the time to test any others before we leave and I know these rental ones are fine.

dan100, thanks for the heads up! Off to buy it now.

edit - actually no need, it's here
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article5988325.ece
latest report
demos wrote:
richmond, I generally agree with the idea of making things easy, but then it wouldn't be the same, would it.

Purist.
snow report
firebug, let us know more at least after the trip! Also anything you might want to share about preparations, planning, guides, materials etc. would be nice to read. Good luck and enjoy!
ski holidays
richmond, I was just going to post the very same thing! In fact over the last couple of years I have done quite a lot of the downhill bits of the Haute Route using one of those. I must however be going soft in the head in my old age because I keep getting these fanciful ideas about doing it properly with the uphill bits as well some time soon.

Best of luck to those doing it, and let us know how it went
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
richjp, sometimes you need crampons no matter what. not having done the HR, not sure how many places they are really necessary - no doubt depends on conditions on the day amongst other things

I agree that they should be carried, however I would just prefer to avoid having to use them.

On our Haute Route trip, I can recollect certainly three sections where in more icy conditions crampons would have been needed. Two of those you would always have to walk up anyway but we were able to do so without crampons.
ski holidays
Off on friday to the alps and starting the Route on monday , really looking forward to it.
I seem to gather that you live in the clothes that you set off in and no spares are taken or do people know better ?
latest report
mistermouse, i generally pack a hut t-shirt to change into after skiing along with one or two pairs of clean pants. this is regarded as a bit poncey by more old school skinners, but it makes me happy
ski holidays
I was thinking along similar lines but was worried that i may get kicked out of the huts for being "poncey"
snow conditions
I take a tiny bottle of essential lavender oil, a silk sleeping bag liner and earplugs for huts, it really helps me sleep. Poncy and proud! Demos, will do Smile Also I am planning on live updates on twitter
http://twitter.com/chaletlaforet if anyone is interested. We'll have to see what reception is like, it may not be possible. At the moment I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about the whole thing but our guide knows us well and says we're up to it.
ski holidays
earplugs are an absolute must!
i also like to have wet wipes and/or anti-bacterial gel (latter is pretty good for sorting out stinky feet!)
snow report
blimey, good luck both of you, that Sunday Times article is an eye opener to how tough it can be!

Quote:
Soon every step on the 45-degree slope finds me sinking thigh-deep into the snow — benignly known as “post-holing”

Quote:
On the sixth day, I’m faced with an agonising 50-degree icy slope up to the Col du Mont Brulé. I’m front-pointing: kicking the crampons’ toe spikes in hard enough to stand on while hacking with my ice axe and shortened ski pole above to keep my balance. Every limb is aching, and trying to pull me from the face is the lumbering weight of my backpack with skis strapped to it.
ski holidays
firebug, I just started to follow you on Twitter, so keep updating. I am thinking a bit of the same and create a bit of visibility for the next year trip - trying even to get the travel story to a Greek and a Finnish paper. Twitter or similar would be must, and I trust you will tell what happens.

All of these tips are very useful and have already helped though there are 12 months to go probably.

mistermouse, firebug, enjoy and tell us then!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like my idea of hell, give me a lift and a nicely groomed piste any day but best of luck to anyone mad enough to do it.
I would imagine that you would need a very good level of fitness???
snow report
There's a good kit list here
http://www.chamex.com/equipment-list

Good luck mistermouse, let us know how it goes!!!

At the risk of opening everyone's favourite can of worms, I'm dithering a bit about taking a helmet. I never normally ski or climb without one, but it looks like not many people take them ski touring because of the weight and being too hot when skinning. I was a bit hot with one on the Tour Noire....Thoughts welcome...
latest report
I don't bother for hut-to-hut
I might consider a climbing helmet if the route merited it; I've done stuff with more technical climbing than the HR and not bothered to date
latest report
sounds like it might be getting quite busy up there....i'm heading out on 10 April but we're doing it backwards (from Zermatt to Chamonix). Anyone with any experience of this route? I am not taking my lid but i am taking a visor and lots of suncream as i expect it to get pretty warm. and apparently leukoplast tape is super helpful in overcoming/preventing any blisters - you can only buy it on the continent i think. bare minimum for everything else tho....light is right! Good luck to all snowheads setting off (on this and any of the other longer tours) over the next few weeks.
ski holidays
Yeah I wonder if it's worth the weight, when you're spending most of the day skinning.

What about taking the ABS bag?
snow report
adds a noticeable amount of weight
if the weather is forecast to be good i definitely wouldn't bother (assuming you have an alternative bag); if snow is forecast, I might consider it
latest report
Arno, thanks - that's what I was thinking too. I'll have both with me, so can leave it to the last minute to decide Smile
latest report
Just returned after a fantastic trip, unfortunately we didn't manage to finish the route , foul winds meant we had to abort the last day from the Cabane Des Vignettes and decend to Arolla along with a few other groups. Our guide Mike 'Twid' Turner was great .
Re ABS , we met a Belgium girl who had the opportunity to use her ABS back after a bit of bad navigation in the bad weather and took turn too early a caused an avalanche , not massive but enought to take her tumbling 30m down a slope.
One thing i was glad to take was a good handfull of fruit tea bags to make the water taste better and one thing i wished i had taken was book for those quiet moments.
latest report
Updated going ok so far at twitter.com/chaletlaforet
Hi from verbier!
snow report
I follow firebug on twitter, but it seems that there is no coverage everywhere. So far, it seems fine.

Mistermouse, when you have a chance, will you give an update on your gear, views, experiences and suggestions for those who are planning to take it up next year.
ski holidays
We made it - a fantastic trip Smile

Massive thanks once again to guide Neil Hitchings
http://www.neil-hitchings.com/
who kept us safe and encouraged all the way, and also to Steve and Alex at Footworks for a totally blister-free Haute Route!

Back on the original question, here's our kit pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/3462592222/in/set-72157617035422631/

which I'll annotate properly in a bit.

I rented skis as I don't have anything suitable, and got Black Diamond Ethics which were great. I already had the hybrid Black Diamond Method boots which were very good, though you do need to loosen them *completely* for skinning - I forgot to completely undo the spinning ratchet thingy for the cable at the side on the first day and was in agony till I worked it out! All fine after that though.

Weather was mostly good in spite of a very unsettled forecast, so I didn't take the ABS. I did meet quite a few people who had, and would definitely consider it again if conditions warranted.

Here's the edited set of 40 ish photos (as the full lot is over 450!) - they really are lovely. It was much more beautiful than I had been expecting - the long climbs give you time to appreciate the landscape...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/sets/72157617034038643/

Haute Route - on the Trient Glacier

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 21-04-09 16:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
wow, great pics, and amazing to see how much snow has disappeared in a few short weeks, the Col des Ecandies climb looks bare arsed compared to last month!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy