Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with large ski bags

Poster: A snowHead
As I unfortunately only possess two arms, I was looking at buying a ski bag that could hold my skis, my boots and my gear. Something like this which looks brilliant.

However, I'm worried about how airlines will react to this. Standard weight limit for airline luggage is 20 kg. Ski stuff you book in separately for an extra cost, in this case twice because of boots and skis. By putting this all into one container I'll have something that presumably weights more than 20kg and contains two sets of ski stuff, so I'm thinking they'll probably throw a fit and not let me on without charging me a lot of extra money.

Which is why I thought I'd turn to you lot to see what experiences you have with this type of thing. The bag would make my life so much easier, but if I can't get it on to planes then I guess I have to continue to cover myself with bags and gear. The EB team use them, so I assume they get them through airports ok, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, for all I know they pay off the airline.

Thanks in advance.

[s]EDIT: Sorry about the link, for some reason it won't turn it into a URL?[/s]

TinyURL saves the day. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The heaviest single bag you can check in is 32kg, once you've paid any horrendous excess fees of course. This is set by the baggage handlers health & safety and not the airline.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ghettoperson, Welcome to snowHead
Speaking as a comitted 'drive to resort' person.
Getting ski's and boots under their alloted weight limit is usually difficult enough. I'm sure having everything in one bag wouldn't fit their baggage allowance model.
I'm not sure if there are any 'ski friendly' TO's or budget airlines left!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My bag had board, skis, bootss and clothes last week. It was 28kg.

We also had a 21kg suitcase.

No problem at all on easyJet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I understand the predicament of not having enough hands, but having everything in one bag looks equally problematic. For example, if the bag weighs over 25kg, excess baggage charges aside, how easy is it going to be to lift? How many car boots is it going to fit in once you've managed to get it off the ground? Size isn't always everything. Sometimes it's easier to distribute the load...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andytb, if you fly BA then the heaviest bag you can take is 23kg before you start incurring a excess charges.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My ski bag loaded weighs 31kg. You can be lucky as most airlines don't weigh the ski bag. I got caught on the way back from Calgary, no problem on the way out from Gatwick. I'd paid for 2 lots of ski carriage, but there were 4 sets in the bag. They tried to hit me with the single ski bag allowance of 13kg, irrespective of the fact that I'd paid for 2 bags. So 18kg @$20 = $360. Got it down to 5kg, so $100 in the end. Haven't had any problems for years in the past though, maybe just Canada is more vigilant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
I understand the predicament of not having enough hands, but having everything in one bag looks equally problematic. For example, if the bag weighs over 25kg, excess baggage charges aside, how easy is it going to be to lift? How many car boots is it going to fit in once you've managed to get it off the ground? Size isn't always everything. Sometimes it's easier to distribute the load...

It's wheeled, so the majority of the time it should be easy to move around. The rest of the time I'll just have to suffer dragging it's huge weight around. I'll weight all my ski gear though, see about how much It'd be over. I suppose I could always bring a holdall with me for most of my clothes, it's more just about trying to find an easy way to move skis, boots and clothes around, and if I can get boots and skis into one bag that'd be a lot easier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suggest you just use a conventional ski bag/box and a wheeled holdall that's big enough to hold everything else. Only two arms required.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really can't see the issue.

One wheelie bag for clothes and boots, one ski bag slung over the shoulder.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have one like that it's fine just keep it under the 32Kg limit..fits the lots skis boots clothes...wheeled so easy to drag along..

But surely renting is the way to go..not ....Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One big bag is loads more trouble when trying to fit it into the car (or train) or lifting it on or off the bus or carousel.

Bootbag (over shoulder) ski bag in one hand, roller bag for luggage in the other has always worked for me. No bag over 15kg so easy to lift/carry and no complaints from airlines.

If you don't like carrying three bags around the airport they have this cool invention, freely available (sometimes for a £1 deposit) called a 'luggage trolley' Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jagerbull wrote:
andytb, if you fly BA then the heaviest bag you can take is 23kg before you start incurring a excess charges.

BA are a nightmare - half a kilo (or less!) above 23KG and you have to repack at the airport if you have spare weight in another bag, or pay excess - as I discovered at Xmas in Zurich and we were overall about 10/15KG under but oh no, one bag a tiny bit over and you have to open 'em up, unpack and repack whilst, of course, keeping the rest of the queue waiting and being stared at by an officious BA person who didn't like it when I started telling her Easyjet were better ... she got really annoyed when I said I was glad I always used Virgin for transatlantic flights Twisted Evil

Based on that experience BA are far worse than Easyjet Shocked who will allow you to check in significantly weightier bags as long as you keep within your total limits (32KG if you pay for ski carriage as well). I've been stung for excess once but they're reasonably flexible in my experience and I now pack a lot lighter anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, Can I quote you "BA are a nightmare" over on the Ryanair thread? Madeye-Smiley

(This is the same Ryanair who while nominally limiting you to a 15Kg check in bag, if you've paid for skis they don't even weigh the ski or boot bags so you could be well over 32kg without worrying).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ LOL, I've never touched Ryanair and have no intention of going near them for a ski flight (or probably any other sort of flight!) - I'm sure they are a hell of a lot worse than BA, certainly that's what I've gathered from comments here and elsewhere.
snow report
roga, Maybe I should quote your post above to give 'Balance' Laughing

But seriuosly, if you've 'never touched' them mybe you should give them a try. Like you I believed all the bad press (and slagging they get on here rolling eyes ) but since they happened to be the only carrier with decent flight times to where I wanted to go i tried them this year and found their service to be very good. no frills but no nasty surprised and if you pay the ski carriage charge then in practice you get a HUGE luggage allowance, all for less than the BA cost. Checkout the 'ruinair' poll, a lot more snowHead 's would use them again than would not. Very Happy
snow report
I am not taking my large ski bag with me on my next trip as she has had a few days away with her mates already.....and now it's my turn.
latest report
^^ Interesting what you say Axsman, I've never gone out of my way to avoid them, rather I've been able to find flights to the same or better destinations just as, or almost as, cheap so have never been tempted.

If there was no alternative I'd give them a go I guess but yes, the negative press has put me off 'risking' it I have to admit!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, whereas I am taking mine, as we haven't had a trip for just the two of us yet this season. Laughing

(If the Mrs's read this you do realise we're both dead Skullie Shocked Laughing )
latest report
Axsman, wink

Enjoy life in the Lech fast lane. We shall do our best on the hard shoulder that is Radstadt Laughing
snow report
I flew on a BA charter flight. I had:

Small, cheap, nasty backpack for hand luggage containing thermals, gloves, goggles, fleeces, ski pants, socks, toothpaste and other valuables.

Ski bag containing lots of other things: 17kg.

Boot bag containing everything else: 7kg.

What's the problem? Luggage trolleys are brilliant.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,

Me and 'er indoors will just be cruisin' the blues and tasting the fare that lech can provide. Looking forward to it immensely.

Never been to Radstadt but the piste map looks a bit like Maria alm, nice friendly little Austrian resort, where no doubt, Beer, Pear Williams, schnitzel and DJ otzi can be found in abundance - what more can one ask? Laughing
ski holidays
Just a note of caution.

I saw the same bag on the Ellis Brigham web site and went down to the Manchester shop to buy it. The shop assistant asked me if I wanted to have a look at it before buying it and on opening I thought it was a lot smaller than I had imagined.

It will take 2 sets of skis and poles but I would doubt you would get much more in such as clothes and boots.
snow report
Just done some weighing, and skis are 3.2KG a piece, boots are 2.9KG a piece, so that's 12.2KG total. Poles are fairly insignificant, so that fits under the ski bag limit. Rather than get the massive Ellis Brigham bag and stuff everything in there, what about a Dakine Fall Line Double? I'll then just bring a holdall with me for what I can't fit in the bag. I saw it recommended on this forum when I did a search. Only slight issue may be that it says it's 190cm, and my skis are 188cm. Think that's enough margin for error?
latest report
188cm skis?? Jeez, I didn't think they made them any more except for downhill racers...
snow report
SCollier1, I've got one and I've had two pairs of skis + bindings + poles + two boards + bindings (unmounted) + all my outerwear for a week and still had no issue with closing the zips . . . left my balls on the carpet when I tried to lift it, but skiing without sacrifice wouldn't be skiing Shocked Weighed 41Kg
latest report
queen bodecia, mine are 191 . . . however, having seen your comment in another thread that's one thought I'll not be barking about wink
snow report
Masque, I used to have 185 skinny skis back in the days of such things. Sigh...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They're powder skis, but I'm also pretty tall, 195cm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy