Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urban myths

Poster: A snowHead
Thoughts, anyone?

1. When staying in a ski resort you get drunker quicker because the air is thinner.

2. When staying in a ski resort your fingernails grow faster

And have you ever checked the number of new shoes worn at an airport when departing...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T-Dub, I'm not sure

1. I did find myself getting a tiny bit drunk two years ago but I was helping consume champagne at a birthday celebration which I don't normally drink

2. I've thought that once or twice but I'm not sure, I have however thought that my nails get a bit more brittle in the resort, strange Confused

Quote:

And have you ever checked the number of new shoes worn at an airport when departing...

Nope can't say I ever have
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf wrote:
2. I've thought that once or twice but I'm not sure, I have however thought that my nails get a bit more brittle in the resort, strange Confused

That MAY have to do with your diet rather than the altitude.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, don't think so diet does not change much, but could it be the water ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find that cuts tend to take longer to heal at altitude.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always thought you got less drunk due to thinner atmosphere and the consequent burning of more calories, at least that's my excuse for ordering the extra bottle...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read somewhere that the atmosphere at altitude is as dry as a desert - whcih is why your hair and nails (and my skin too) start feeling dry/brittle etc ... also explains why you need to/should drink lots and lots of water during the day. (might this also explain why the bread goes so stale so quickly? Puzzled )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, not sure

T-Dub
Quote:
1. When staying in a ski resort you get drunker quicker because the air is thinner.

Quote:
The presence of alcohol in the blood interferes with the normal use of oxygen by the tissues (histotoxic hypoxia). Because of reduced pressure at high altitudes and the reduced ability of the hemoglobin to absorb oxygen, the effect of alcohol in the blood, during flight at high altitudes, is much more pronounced than at sea level. The effects of one drink are magnified 2 to 3 times over the effects the same drink would have at sea level.

(from http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aerojava/HumFac04.htm )

Quote:
Alcohol and barbiturates should be used with caution, as their effect is greater at a higher altitude.

(from http://www.rmihr.org/halt.html )

Quote:
Most people can adjust or "acclimatize" to the high altitude within a few days. Here are some tips:
Drink extra fluid.
Be careful of drinking alcohol. Its effect is magnified at high altitude.

(from http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4618 )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well that puts me right!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris M-J, yeah, but I did read this on another site...

Quote:
Myth: Alcohol is a good source of B vitamins.
False. Alcoholic drinks contain only negligible amounts of vitamins. Eleven cans of beer will provide the daily allowance of B2 (riboflavin), which is better obtained from breads and cereals.

(from http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/alcohol3.html )

11 pints of beer gives me my daily requirement of Vit B2?

Now there's a thought... Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think poma, has the answer, it's the drier air at altitude that does it, I normally have very dry skin which is probably why my nails suffer
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also find I shave less frequently, say every three or four days, and whilst the stubble is still there it is much lighter coloured an therefore less visible. I'd presumed this was to do with sunlight bleaching it - but it's the same in poor weather.

Good job it's Friday, i can feel my B2 levels are waaaaaay too low Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thiught you got drunk quicker because you consumed vast quantities of alcohol at a rapid rate.

Your nails probably do grow quicker and there's a good explanation for this, possibly: nails grow quicker when they're softer; because you have your fingers in gloves most of the time it creates a nice warm and damp environment which encourages growth in the nails.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Its effect is magnified at high altitude.

I guess that explains why I always seem to get home with more money then expeceted, obviously because I buy less beer but get just as drunk.

I could save a fortune if I moved out there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it probably helps if you drink Mutzig.
snow conditions
Mutzig helps with a lot of things!!
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Tuck Thong, it helped me fall over. Embarassed

Do you know, the bugs were smirking too when we asked for pints Confused
latest report
Your nails only APPEAR to grow quicker. This is because you had your nail-clippers confiscated by airport security.
snow report
When staying in La Tania '98 (My first chalet holiday), the guy I was staying with and I met up with my future brother in law for a drink. He was staying in Meribel / Mottaret and had suggested we have a few beers there which seemed like a great idea. We skied back to his chalet dumped the skis etc and headed off to the nearest bar. Just 4 pints of Stella later I was out of it.

We eventually got a bus back to Meribel, although the bus driver looked appalled at my state and a taxi from there to our chalet in La Tania. Our chalet host took one look at me and said "there's no way he's sitting at my table for dinner". I was in no state to argue, infact was very happy slumped in the snow beside chalet door. I could have stayed there all night, but luckily for me my mate and the host pulled me into the boot room, I would have frozen to death has I been left outside as it was -15.

Later that night I was a little sick, but only because I'd fallen asleep in the 'nice warm' boot room and some people (not sure who), had carried me to bed and obviously disorientated me.

This thread makes me feel allot better about the state I'd got myself in that day, as according to Wear The Fox Hat post my drinks can be multiplied by 3, so I did in actual fact drink 12 pints of Stella that day!
latest report
Don't know about my nails but my credit card bill definitely grows quicker at altitude. Shocked
snow conditions
.... and you can't get a decent cup of tea because of the way the kettle boils.

From now on I will just stick to Bognor.
snow report
Quote:

From now on I will just stick to Bognor.

As in Regis, or the women's ski clothes? Very Happy
snow report
All the above (about alcohol) is true, but it's amazing how many people seem to think I'm just a fuddy duddy for warning them. 2 beers at the glacier restaurant (3,200m) and you're not safe to be in charge of a pair of skis in my opinion. NehNeh

I notice that my nails (which are long and strong) tend to break when I go back and forth about 2 or 3 weeks after I get either to the Uk or back here. Then they settle down - my system obviously acclimatises.
latest report
T-Dub,

1a. Yes, for reason s outlined above.

1b. From personal experience (following a looong night in Harry's Bar - as it was - Tignes) I know that hangovers are much worse at altitude.

2. No idea about the fingernails; I cut them when they need cutting.

Shoes - if it's Italy and people are buying shoes then more power to their elbows. Feet also. As a libertarian I fully subscribe to the 'each to their own' ethos. However I would fully support a law banning entry back into the UK of Britons returning from Italy WITHOUT new shoes.
ski holidays
I'm glad Mrs H doesn't cruise around here. She needs little enough excuse to buy footwear. We don't call her Imelda Hunter for nothing, you know!
latest report
My nails definately grow faster, you cant bite them with ski gloves on. and by the time i get back to the room and take them off im usually too pissed to bother.
ski holidays
I also find hangovers disappear after 10 minutes on the first chairlift of the day.
latest report
AD - good one - Very Happy LOL Very Happy

Soemthing definately happens with nails (hands and toes I found). I thought it was as you do not tap or generally wear them down?

Also, have you noticed that your taste buds sensitivity (and sense of smell) is lessened. Good wine in resort tastes great back home and sweaty clothes do not smell too bad after a days skiing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kezzy1966, maybe lack of taste/smell is due to dehydration? Dry atmosphere, perhaps lack of fluid in the day, plus more alcohol than usual? Just a theory.
snow conditions
Oh come on the lot of you, be sensible.

Altitude pressure has an effect, dehydration/dry air has very little to do with it, and consider this:

In a normal days skiing you've excercised at a reasonably high rate for the whole day. Your body is exhausted by the time you lug it into a bar. Your muscles and organs are desperate for fuel and will process anything you put into it at a far quicker rate than it would if you'd been stuck at a desk for the same period during the day. You feel pissed quicker cause your body is quite literally processing the alcohol faster and hence you get pissed quicker.

Try this at home: run a race at a steady pace for most of the day. Then drink 2 pints. Feel drunk yet?

Fingernails and other dead bits of your body grow at exactly the same rate irregardless of anything (save severe malnutrition) - however they BREAK much more when you use your hands much more. Personally I've never found my nails growing any longer or even breaking any more than usual on the slopes. However lugging luggage thru airports, and skis around resort, certainly makes them break more!
latest report
My hair grows faster, well facial hair does! Of course, that might be because I only ski when there's a full moon....
snow report
Manda wrote:
Oh come on the lot of you, be sensible.

Altitude pressure has an effect, dehydration/dry air has very little to do with it, and consider this:

Manda, I think I'm the only person to have mentioned dehydration, and only as a possible cause for relative lack of taste/smell sensitivity. Given the rest of your post, I don't think you can have read mine correctly.
latest report
I normally find hangovers affect me far less on a skiing holiday. Don't know whether it's physiological though - suspect it's more to do with my eagerness not to waste a morning's skiing...
ski holidays
laundryman, I wasn't refering to your post.
ski holidays
Manda, OK - sorry - I'm probably being a bit prickly considering another thread I'm engaged in at the moment!
snow conditions
masopa, Agree, adrenalin kicking in? I always have dreadful hangovers when I'm doing a job I hate. Whereas anytime I'm fired up and excited, the hangovers much more bearable.
latest report
David Murdoch, I agree with you and masopa but suspect that Manda's point may also be relevant: that you're burning everything up much quicker than when sat behind a desk.
ski holidays
AdrianV wrote:

Your nails probably do grow quicker and there's a good explanation for this, possibly: nails grow quicker when they're softer; because you have your fingers in gloves most of the time it creates a nice warm and damp environment which encourages growth in the nails.

Nails are dead tissue, it's the cells that produce it that count. I think when the blood supply is good they grow quicker. Since when you are cold the blood retreats from extremities you would have thought they would grow slower when you are cold, but perhaps with gloves and exercise this isn't the case (normally) when skiing.
snow report
The other thing is that maybe the skin arround the fingers shrinks a little resulting in an apparent increase in fingernail length, rather like the effects that are sometimes said to occur when people die
ski holidays
I vaguely recollect that hair and nail growth is linked to sun shine and happiness - something to do with seratonin levels etc. So if you are not stressed, happy and in sunshine i.e. on holiday then your hair grows more. Can't prove it or remember it correctly but my hair andnails certainly seme to grow more on holiday be it sliding or sunshining......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy