Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you pronounce " Les Deux Alpes"

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, Well the question was how to pronounce the name of my home town. Since I say it and hear it and have done nearly everyday for many years, I feel best placed to say how it should sound. We are in the Oisans, so some 'correct' french pronounciation doesn't always work.

ccl, I can't see any way in english to write deux - it's deu but not dee we have no accents to denote a short sound (e) Only the scots roll the rs so der is closer than duh or doo or all the other efforts previously mentioned. The point is that it is derzz.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Four pages...do we have a correct answer yet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dr schuss wrote:
lay-derz-alp

I'm sure we've all moved on from this.. but I would just like to confirm that Dr Schuss' phonetic description is correct.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

no matter how badly that you think you're speaking French (within reason), the natives seem to respect you so much more for trying

I wish that was inevitably true, but I have come to recognise that rise of the eyebrow and slight pursing of the lips which means "what the hell are you on about you daft old bat".

As for shortening things, Francoise (my super French teacher) is always trying to stop us sounding things out syllable by syllable. So not " je ne suis" but "jensuis". The other thing she bangs on about is how essential it is to use the subjunctive if you hope to sound even vaguely convincing. Whenever I can produce one, knowing it's correct, I always wish she could hear me! I was whiling away a journey in the car this morning, listening to a French Harry Potter story, and was surprised how many subjunctives I spotted - when I first heard the story I didn't spot any so my ear must be improving.

'Set pat possibe sa' (Phonetic - obv) heard that yet? I bet you have... so had I, 20 years ago when I used it in my o levels to my great disadvantage!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4 pages...

Shocked Shocked

You guys are nuts!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler wrote:
4 pages...

Shocked Shocked

You guys are nuts!

Just to improve the chances of it getting to an epic FIVE pages.. it should really be 'SAY pat poseeeb sa' wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Libertine,

wrong..really should say "say pa poseeebluuuh ca, puetaingggg"...

but I have got a strong Toulouse/southern accent...

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler wrote:
Libertine,

wrong..really should say "say pa poseeebluuuh ca, puetaingggg"...

but I have got a strong Toulouse/southern accent...

Toofy Grin

puutaaain sa mere - now that really is bad! Why do grown men AND women in france still say that?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can French newsreaders say the Russian PM's name without sniggering?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:
Can French newsreaders say the Russian PM's name without sniggering?

Ha ha, never thought about that!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulcl wrote:
ccl wrote:
easiski wrote:
.... Deux - french for two - usually pronounced der as near as you can write it....

Pronounced der?? (snip) There is no r sound in deux. Or was that a typo?

More likely is that easiski has a non-rhotic accent and you, being Scottish (?), have a rhotic one (i.e. you sound your rs and she doesn't). So by "der" she means roughly the same as "duh".

Well, maybe so, but it is simply confusing if you are making any sort of phonetic representation of a word to include letters that are not pronounced. If it's phonetic the reader expects to sound every letter. But here is another link to how words like deux are pronounced: better to listen than to interpret attempts to convey sounds in words!

http://www.languageguide.org/francais/grammar/pronunciation/vowels2.html

As a Scot I do of course roll my Rs but I have never seen easiski ski, and would, in any case, be far to much of a gentleman to pass comment on hers. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman,
Very Happy

Or, on the same line there is a certain snowHead , with a certain username which is very similar to an unflattering french "adjective/noun", and I can't help sniggering everytime I see it.. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Deux Alpes isn't that hard to say if you have some basic French - the one I've never heard pronounced by any local is Sauze d'Oulx - now how do you say that one? So-z'dooh? Surely not what I was assured by one friend: "susie doo" - the same person tells me the resort near to Les Deux Alpes is "Alp jewy" to rhyme with chewy with the stress being on the "jew" bit. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, but do you know what your name means in Iraqi Kurdish? No, I thought not. Laughing
Quote:
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, no I don't.... And I suspect I don't want to.... Toofy Grin
snow report
But that doesn't mean that pam_w shouldn't tell the rest of us.
latest report
I couldn't possibly.
snow report
I found that 'deux euros' and 'douze euros' sound, to the untrained ear, alarmingly similar!

Easier when it was francs.
snow report
Tim Sawyer, not a practical problem - nothing costs deux euros. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy