Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you pronounce " Les Deux Alpes"

Poster: A snowHead
I heard someone on the radio pronouncing the "x"

I'm trying to learn French and thought it would be silent.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lay dooze alp, as the x precedes a vowel. If it preceded a consonant, it would be silent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I pronounce it with a "zzz" at the end more of less joining the deux and alpes. Doesn't mean it's right though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
up4it, sounded like a 'z' when a vowel follows. It's a bit more flowing that way!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
up4it wrote:
I heard someone on the radio pronouncing the "x".

They should never have put the X Factor on the radio
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"lay duzz alp"

As per what laundryman says, silent consonants are pronounced if just before a word starting with a vowel..

E.g. Petit a petit (little by little) is "pety ta pety" rather than "pety a pety"...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shouldn't it be Le 'Doo' Alp though?
Pronouncing it 'Dooz' would make it "The 12 Alps" not "The 2 Alps"
*goes down under a hail of French vocab books*
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was taught that the CaReFuLL consonants are the only ones that are pronounced, I forgot about the preceding a vowel bit.

The CD's I have are actually very good, there are endless similarities between the two languages, words ending ence, ance and tion are basically the same.

Appartantly the average bod only has a vocabulary of 600 - 1500 words so there is not that much to learn.

The guy on the CD reckons that over a 7 day period, the average number of written words in the New York Times is a shade over 700.

Should be a doddle shouldn't it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, when did you last hear that pronounced otherwise than as p'ti ta p'ti? wink (God, I've been so good at controlling myself these last few months and here I am correcting a Frenchman's French pronunciation. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed)

Richard_Sideways, I think that's what Kruisler was getting at when he wrote 'duzz'. Sounds a bit like 'duh'. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lay deuz alpe (def not dooz)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The place you can see from Alp Do Hez
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would say it rhymes with 'furs'.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 2-03-09 17:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle,

You're right about "duh" Very Happy

Quote:

Kruisler, when did you last hear that pronounced otherwise than as p'ti ta p'ti?

Ok OK...I was trying not to give the Academie Francaise an excuse for a fit by skipping the "e"...but you're right, nobody bothers with it.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if only we could all read and write the phonetic alphabet wink

my two (euro) cents... lay der'zalp
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I stand corrected, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.
I should've paid more attention in French class after all, it IS useful, Forgive Mr.Town, Wherever you are!

Out of interest, if The 2 Alps is pronounced as "Le Douz Alp", how would The 12 Alps be pronounced? *Again, goes down under hail of vocab books*
snow report
I said dooze, not dooze. Do try to listen wink
snow report
laundryman, TallTone, No 'furs' is too 'open' as, indeed, is 'lay' - the vowel should be more like the 'e' in 'met.'

At the risk of repeating myself, remember what Prof Higgins said, in My Fair Lady - the French don't care what they say, so long as they pronounce it properly. Toofy Grin
snow report
paulmck, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
lay-derz-alp
ski holidays
but you have to move your lips if you want to sound french.
snow report
I bought a helmet in L2A ... wink
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
up4it, sounded like a 'z' when a vowel follows. It's a bit more flowing that way!

It's called elision Smile (OK, I'll go crawl back under my rock)
snow report
moffatross,

did you ask for un kak or un kassssk?
snow conditions
Kruisler, that was on Ryanair.
snow report
laundryman,

I feel like a fool already but nope...don't get it... I'm usually on your wave length vis-a-vis (pronounced vizavi) jokes and sensee of humour..

Puzzled

Unless you're referring to the toilet charge somehow? Confused

Toofy Grin
latest report
Kruisler, yes, dialect word (mainly northern, I think) for sh-t. I think there are similar words in Dutch and German.

If you didn't have the right change on a Ryanair flight, you might kak your keks. Shocked
snow report
laundryman,

I actually knew about "kak" and sh-t! d'oh..

my brain didn't get into gear.......
latest report
Kruisler, J'en lui a demande pour un Kasssskk but the shop assistant was English so I guess he may have thought I was a lost priest.
laundryman, non, zat would haff bin a 'crepe' you wass sinking off Je crois. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:
zat would haff bin a 'crepe' you wass sinking off Smile

That reminds me of the Berlitz advert:

http://youtube.com/v/YsCR9Y4Ymvo

Smile
ski holidays
eng_ch, bliss! Laughing Laughing
latest report
lez ducks alpeees (the key to this pronunciation is of course LOUD and SLOWWW)

on chant ehh mon soor
snow report
btw, cac is the Irish word for shite, though it is pronounced "cock"
snow conditions
barry, chicken shite, le cac du coq sportif. Actually, I bet I can find a picture of that drawn by some cynical French artist. Shock)
snow conditions
what's that joke about four sprung duck technique?? Laughing

nothin funnier than a Brit or a Paddy (or American for that matter) trying (and failing miserably) to converse in a continental tongue! But also very impressed by those who genuinely try, as for the most part will the locals be.

unos cerveza para mi burro por favor
latest report
barry,

Comes from "cachi", the Welsh word for shite, the Irish are merely Welsh folk who learned to swim (not of course, to escape Wales) wink

Aneira
latest report
but the hard part is to pronounce "Alpes" in that lovely French way. Different sort of "l" sound - further back on the palate and with a flatter tongue? Damned sexy. Maybe Kruisler could post some sound bites for us - is that possible on this site? Would be a great thing to play with.
latest report
Aneira wrote:

the Irish are merely Welsh folk who learned to swim

or learned to play rugby... NehNeh Razz Laughing
snow report
pam w, wants to play with Kruisler's tongue? Shocked Just as long as she doesn't at the same time get any of that flatulence she was referring to elsewhere Shocked Shocked

OK, while we've got the pronunciation experts on hand. Alpe d'Huez, Saconnex, Oyonnax, Aix-en-Provence, Ax-les-Thermes: what do we do with those trailing consonants?
ski holidays
I actually overheard a Brit refer to Tignes as Tig-ness, i.e. with a hard 'g' and 'nes' as in Loch Ness. Sometimes it's embarrassing being British...
ski holidays
GrahamN, rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy