Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gebroulaz glacier Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It was about 10 years ago we were at the top of the ''le col'' piste in Val Thorens and were shooting pictures of us standing in the crevasses of the Gebroulaz glacier, rising about 2 meters above the top of the piste.
As we now have a 10 year old daughter who is able to ski there too, we went again for the first time since, to show her the beauty of the scenery.
Unfortunately we discovered that al ice at the top was no longer there. We could easily look over the top of the mountain and saw a flat glacier lying beneath. Does anybody know when this started and how fast this happended? Is this only due to global warming? Ofcourse we heard a lot about it, but never experienced it in such a sad, direct way.
Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I heard it was all the snowboarders walking along it that made it flat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am not familiar with the bit you are talking about so could be entirely wrong but it could be that the heavier than normal snow has filled in most of the crevasse making the glacier appear flat when in fact you are on top of it. Did you go early in the season last time?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rambotion wrote:
I am not familiar with the bit you are talking about so could be entirely wrong but it could be that the heavier than normal snow has filled in most of the crevasse making the glacier appear flat when in fact you are on top of it. Did you go early in the season last time?

I wish you are right, there was a lot of snow a few weeks ago, but not 3 meters more than about 10 years ago. We always have good snow there. Did you never see the crevasses then?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ton, not quite sure where you are describing but afai remember you can't see the Gebroulaz glacier from Le Col piste? From the top of Le Col you have to walk/skin up the Glacier de Chaviere then climb the ridge to see the Gebroulaz glacier (which drops down towards Mottaret) on the other side of the Aiguille de Peclet.

Some pics of the Gebroulaz glacier (with crevasses!) from 2007 here http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/7406
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excuses, I thought that it was already called Gebroulaz from the top of the Le Col. But as you say it has to be the Chaviere. Nice pictures, hope to walk/ski that sometime (with our daughter). Is it a hard run towards Mottaret?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ton, well I guess it depends on the conditions as always Very Happy When we did it in April 2007 conditions at the top were not bad, with some powder pitches and generally nice skiing. We should probably have taken the guide's preferred option and climbed back up on the other side of the Peclet to the glacier de peclet, but instead we opted to carry on down to Mottaret - not a good choice Laughing We started on some flattish but extremely nasty cement type snow which most of us found tough going and then eventually ran out of snow and had to walk, arriving in Mottaret after the lifts back to Val T had closed Toofy Grin

We were however saved by a St Bernard wink

With good snow all way down it would be a very pleasant run I'm sure, although a fair bit of flat stuff at the end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, we'll keep it in mind. Hopefully the glacier hasn't melted before our daughter is able to. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda wrote:
We were however saved by a St Bernard wink

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy