Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne questions - villages / off-piste

Poster: A snowHead
Tried a search but couldn't find any meaningful results.

q1) Friends of ours are off to La Plagne later this month. They're staying in Plagne Centre as it's the closest place they could find to Aime La Plagne where they have family staying. For various reasons we can't book right now, but if things turn out the right way we'll be looking to join them. Obviously we'll try to get in the same place, but if that's not possible, how easy is it to travel between the various villages? I'm familiar with Les Arcs, and LP seems to have a similar kind of free bus for evening ferrying, but what about skiing down to a common meeting point in the morning etc?

q2) depending on conditions, we are keen to get some off-piste skiing. Gavin is an experienced skiier and has done a fair bit of off-piste and touring, whereas I'm less experienced. Any recommendations? Routes, Itineraries, guides, classes etc? Any locals maybe fancy a day out?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To get from Aime to Plagne centre is a couple of minutes on skis, the reverse is one chairlift up then a ski down so either way nice and easy to move around/meet up on skis

All of the villages seem to be well linked on skis but as elsewhere the key lifts can get crowded when it's busy but in march probably not to bad (hope it isnt next week anyway as that's where we'll be Very Happy )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A common meeting point woule be LP centre and from Aime 2000 this is easy and quick to do. From the other LP villages you would need to jump on a lift to get to LP centre in order to ski down but very easy to meet up in several locations.

Some good off piste available but worth having someone who knows the area (there are a couple on here that are resident in area and well versed in ervy off piste around). The Northface of Bellecote will present a pleasant challenge to anyone off piste but you will need a guide or expert as the entrances are tricky and you need to know your route.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C wrote:
To get from Aime to Plagne centre is a couple of minutes on skis, the reverse is one chairlift up then a ski down so either way nice and easy to move around/meet up on skis

And theres a telemetro 'cable car' between aime and plagne centre which runs to pretty late in the evening (11ish) , so not impossible to meet up for dinner / apres either after the lifts have closed...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-03-09 19:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi bertie bassett i didnt realise that was an option as well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How easy is it to get to the other villages like Plagne 1800 and Belle Plagne? Either in the evening (for dinner / after apres) or first thing in the morning so we can meet for skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plagne 1800 is a short ski, a couple of minutes, from plagne centre, belle plagne would take longer and i cant actually remember which bit Bell Plagne is but I'm sure you could get there withing 30 mins!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, Belle Plagne and Aime LP are miles away from each other. 1800 or centre are your best bets. You can get the cable and then a bus (via centre) down to 1800 in the evening, both run til almost midnight I think from memory.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth,
Quote:

The Northface of Bellecote will present a pleasant challenge

Shocked interesting use of the word 'pleasant' methinks Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, My thoughts exactly.... Shocked Shocked That's reminiscent of thefatcontroller's "nice black runs for practice" Skullie Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, Q1) The simple answer is, if you wish to join them, stay in Plagne Centre or Aime2k. As others have said there is a cable car called the Tele Metro for pedestrians that connects the two.
In practical terms the other villages are just that bit too far away for 'popping over' to see friends of an evening. (imho)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Telemetro runs till 1am in the morning so plenty of time to meet your friends in the evening!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i seem to remember when i went to La plagne that one way back was through a corrugated steel tunnel that went through the mounting
quite eerrie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cockerhoop, Thats the le Tunnel piste from Roche de Mio to Plagne Bellecote , always a challenge to make it all the way through without stopping wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well 20 years ago we were 7 lads aged about 25 and up for anything so i guess thats why we tried it
latest report
Can't seem to find anything at all in Aime2k, and limited choices in PC, so by the time we are able to make a decision we may not have much choice. Still worth asking the questions though.

TBH it's not really "popping out in the evening" I'm bothered about, we'd probalby only be joining them on the staff night off for a meal - more a case of how easy it would be to get back to Village X if we all stopped in Village Y for some apres, then went home for dinner....
latest report
nbt, Mark Warner have a place on the Aime 2k side of Plagne Centre.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, ta Smile
latest report
nbt, Aime2k has 2 large club meds, perhaps they would do a last minute deal at a sensible price?
ski holidays
Plagne Villages would be ok, it only takes a minute to ski to Plagne Centre and there is a free bus till late.
snow conditions
nbt,
ESF offered decent guided off piste at a reasonable cost on my visits, can't remember the names of the instructors though. Everyone talks about the North Face but there was a fair amount of other good off piste from memory .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy