Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC High Altitude show

Poster: A snowHead
You know, i loved this programme for the first few weeks, but to be honest it's starting to get annoying. perhpas it's just me, perhaps i'd think that Ed should invest in another pair of pants that aren't pink...perhaps it was just tonights show. where there wasn't any real amount of ski/board action, and i know that's not the whole point of the show, but, as amazing as it was to see the volcano, there's a part of me that would like to see more of places i'd possibly go venture to? - have they done anything on airboards? or perhaps a bit more on gadjets and gizmo's coming out to the world of winter sports?

Ok so this i'm not going into much detail (it's late and i need to work for another 5 days till i see the white stuff!) but I'd like to see what other people think of the show and format, what bits do they like and dislike?

Personally I'm Loving the fact that ski sunday has gone back to being a ski race show rather than last years format, but i have to admit i do miss one item in particular from last year, bring back the top gear stlye celeb challenge! not because i wanted to see if celebs were any good or not and who would go the fastest, but because i loved hearing and seeing Graham bell's advice, analysis and tips to a range of abilties. Gave me an idea about a few pointers to improve my own technique when i saw a celeb doing something i feal i do when skiing...

maybe the one thing this weeks show did miss was that celeb factor, every show i'd like to see someone who isn't perfect and show me there is hope, that they fall down and swear and its alright for me to do it too? (Brian Moore was excellent viewing!) they give me hope.. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevos999,
Quote:

amazing as it was to see the volcano, there's a part of me that would like to see more of places i'd possibly go venture to?

Apparently you can - see here. I just loved this week's programme, compelling viewing without the need for any 'celebrities'.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevos999, Graham Bell fell down and swore on the ice climb, what more could you ask for? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
stevos999,
Quote:

amazing as it was to see the volcano, there's a part of me that would like to see more of places i'd possibly go venture to?

Apparently you can - see here.

Quite. The only reason I've not already done it is that the trip hasn't worked well with my other commitments at that time of year.

I love the programme - and I much preferred this to that staged and very artificial "race" they had with Guscott and Moore. And BTW, it is billed as a mountain adventure show and not as a skiing/snowboarding show. OK, they could have showed more of the skiing down at the end - although that's probably a fair reflection of the amounts of time they'd have spent climbing and skiing on that day. That final shot of that razor-sharp edge was tantalising, though - I would have loved to know more about that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't watched this week's yet, always far too late for us on a school night so we record it. I'm really enjoying it this year, the only thing that's annoying me intensely is all the emphasis on "self-confessed thrill-seekers". Like, that makes them better or something?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch wrote:
the only thing that's annoying me intensely is all the emphasis on "self-confessed thrill-seekers". Like, that makes them better or something?

That and the constant "power of the mountain", "you can never beat the mountain", "we tried to fight the mountain and lost" - yeah we get it already.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find the whole thing so damn annoying, the presenters suck, the format sucks, this doesn't represent the 'Extreme' end of mountains ports in any way at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is it because they wash? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
troublemaker wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
the only thing that's annoying me intensely is all the emphasis on "self-confessed thrill-seekers". Like, that makes them better or something?

That and the constant "power of the mountain", "you can never beat the mountain", "we tried to fight the mountain and lost" - yeah we get it already.

Some of those comments do feel a bit contrived, but I think many of them are the result of genuine awe, fear, etc. I've climbed into active volcanic craters and the heat, smell, rumble and fear are all too real. You think you're looking into the Gates of Hell, despite all rational thought telling you that's not the case. Some of their comments when they stood on the edge of Villarrica felt entirely genuine to me. A good series which gets better with each episode Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing and like when they like talk, they're just like so whack, dude rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have the BBC lost the rights to the FIS snowboard world championships and if they have what is the point of Ed Leigh being on Ski Sunday? (I presume they have 'cause it's now on Setanta)

High altitude, I can take it or leave it! Don't find it particully informative however I still record it each week. Much prefered Mr Bells tour of the alps last year and Mr Leigh boarding in Austrailia and other 'different' resorts was more up my ally!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I find the whole thing so damn annoying, the presenters suck, the format sucks, this doesn't represent the 'Extreme' end of mountains ports in any way at all.
.... sounds like a lot of sucking going on...what version are you watching?? Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quite liked their tour up a volcano last night, apart from that the best thing about it by a long way has been the lovely Jody Kidd in Ep1 mmmmmmmmmm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trying to catch up some recent shows online, being from the Emerald Isle, these are blocked on the bbc website outside the UK, can I watch em elsewhere online
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High Altitude-Love it!

IMO any program that shows the beauty of the worlds most aspiring terrain and could possibly encourage people to visit and try either skiing and any other mountain sport has to be a good thing.

The more mountain/extreme programs on t.v. the better i feel.

I have been looking at threads regarding high altitude and always seems to be high criticism of whatever the guys do. i.e heli skiing because of the environmental impact etc. I f we really want to reduce carbon emmisions we should maybe become vegans so to reduce the number of cows on the planet who are the number one problem for global warming rather than expect to stop a few people from having fun heli skiing

We need more of these shows to enhance the growth of winter sports. Criticising and not having such shows will only shrink the industry and crate even more space for fly on the wall documentaries and late night bargin hunt.
snow conditions
Just watched the Chilean odyssey episode and I'm getting quite tired of watching two pretty useful snowsportsmen ( Puzzled ) do anything but use snow. Nothing wrong with climbing/ trekking/ skydiving etc but they could at least train properly and pull one of these stunts off. We as licence-fee payers are subsidising their jaunts, after all.

Which brings me to the other gripe. As a licence-fee payer, it really bugs me that I can't watch TV on the iplayer abroad. I can listen to radio (which is funded through the same source, isn't it?) but telly is out of bounds. If anyone has an answer for kendub, I'd like to hear it.
snow conditions
I like it... and went to school with Ed Leigh

I quite like the fact they dont pull off everything they try, shows how tough a lot of things really are...
ski holidays
kendub, andyph, Proxies are your friends.

http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm
snow conditions
andyph wrote:
Which brings me to the other gripe. As a licence-fee payer, it really bugs me that I can't watch TV on the iplayer abroad. I can listen to radio (which is funded through the same source, isn't it?) but telly is out of bounds. If anyone has an answer for kendub, I'd like to hear it.
Not sure this'll help kendub but, if you have Sky+, you can get a Slingbox. This thing allows me to take control of my Sky+ box from abroad and watch live progs and those I have recorded. It is an amazing piece of kit and perfect if you're sitting in a foreign hotel that gives you wifi. Only downside is that only one person can control the programs at any one time. Still, can always see what the family are watching. In fact, on this very laptop, I've got a small window with the telly on while I'm tapping this in. Tis brilliant.
ski holidays
alex_heney, do you know if this really works? I tried some tunnelling trick last year so I could carry on using Pandora when they closed it to non-US subs, but without success. Evil or Very Mad

Fingers crossed, please tell me it works!
snow report
I like the fact ski sunday has gone back to how i remember watching ski sunday with my dad when i was a wee nipper, but i also like last years non racing bits (in a top gear kind of stylieeeee)

The shows being split is great IMHO, but as others have said i would like to see the return of the celebrity challenge as i thought this was the best bit of the non racing side of the show. Good to see the hints and tips
and also how the celebs improve on the SL course. Another feature i would like to see is a bit more of resort reviews for the places they visit for the traveling skier/boarder also latest ski tests etc as opposed to daft challenges that
neither really serve any purpose for actual usefull content.

DJ
latest report
Quote:

The shows being split is great IMHO, but as others have said i would like to see the return of the celebrity challenge as i thought this was the best bit of the non racing side of the show. Good to see the hints and tips
and also how the celebs improve on the SL course. Another feature i would like to see is a bit more of resort reviews for the places they visit for the traveling skier/boarder also latest ski tests etc as opposed to daft challenges that
neither really serve any purpose for actual usefull content.

Couldn't agree more Cool
Suggest that if any bumps into anyone involved with the show, Messers Bell or Leigh themselves even, then we get them signed up as a member and have them hear our input. Better than a letter to Points of view.....(do they still have that show on the Beeb?) snowHead
snow conditions
I love both shows, and it's good to be able to press the red button and get more skiing action after Ski Sunday. I've enjoyed all their 'challenges' on High Altitude, but I would like to see the odd celeb here and there. Spare us the ski and equipment tests though! I can't see that Graham Bell and I would have much in common when looking for skis!
At least we're getting shows on snow, snow sports and the cold places in the world.
ski holidays
alpinequeen wrote:
We need more of these shows to enhance the growth of winter sports.
Agreed!

This is my first season watching both Ski Sunday and High Altitude. While I'm not that into racing, I still love watching SS because it's... well, it's about skiing and it's set in the mountains snowHead

And I'm loving HA - anything that shows man pitting himself against the mountain is good enough for me. This, coming from someone who suffered through K2 (probably one of the worst movies ever) just because it has a few fantastic and realistic climbing sequences.
snow report
OK, if we're going to have man vs. mountain, what about the BBC spending Bell and Leigh's holiday fund on highlights rights for a range of winter sports?

I love watching Ski-X and BX but it's a cold day in hell when they appear on anything vaguely public access and I can't imagine there's that much competition for the TV rights. Ditto moguls and aerials. And we actually do quite well in bob and related sports - throw some of that in as well and you've got a really interesting mountain sports prog. Then in the summer, replace with all things muddy and wet and you've got a year-round schedule.

Send Bell/Ed to try some of these, if they must.
snow report
Quote:

I love watching Ski-X and BX but it's a cold day in hell when they appear on anything vaguely public access and I can't imagine there's that much competition for the TV rights. Ditto moguls and aerials. And we actually do quite well in bob and related sports - throw some of that in as well and you've got a really interesting mountain sports prog.

Already looking forward to the Winter Olympics next year. Love all the cold sports - I even find the curling interesting. (Sad, I know!)
ski holidays
Quote:

I even find the curling interesting. (Sad, I know!)

Not at all. Dougie Donnelly's dulcet tones. That Canadian bloke fluffing it. A perfect shot (or whatever you call it) from Rhona. Her & the lassies - hugs all round. Edge of the seat stuff. Fantastic. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Already looking forward to the Winter Olympics next year. Love all the cold sports - I even find the curling interesting. (Sad, I know!)

mrsph is the same, just don't refer to it as bowls on ice. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got an image of Bell & Ed (in his pink pants) attempting curling... Extreme curling of course.

"Man against Momentum". "We took on the ice... and lost" "I think I've dislocated my wrist" etc rolling eyes
snow report
andyph wrote:
Just got an image of BellEnd (in his pink pants) attempting curling...

Did I read that right!?! Shocked
ski holidays
manicpb, keep your typos to yourself Toofy Grin
ski holidays
manicpb, Smile

Anyway, High Altitude and Ski Sunday are good shows. I just wish there were more mountain/ski/extreme shows on terrestrial TV.

If you folks don't like them then why do you watch?
snow report
I love High Altitude. probaly my favorite tv show at the moment.

Only bad point are Ed's stupid pink salopettes, but he's picking up quite a bit of cash for that bet let me assure you! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

If you folks don't like them then why do you watch?

never said i didn't like them, just that they were better in the first few episodes...This i feel would be a great sunday afternoon down the pub kind of conversation...of course we'd miss the show in doing that Embarassed Puzzled
ski holidays
If anyone is interested the BBC use their 606 website to gauge viewer opinions, if they think the program is giving the licence payers value for money they will comision another series. So please not to many negative comments about the show, remember any snowsport/mountain show is better yhan no snowsport/mountain show!

Try here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/ArticleSearch?contenttype=-1&articlesortby=DateCreated&phrase=Winter+Sports

Or here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A47723079
latest report
Because of the odd time it's on on a sunday evening, I keep missing it but then find it's only available for a week on watch again on iplayer...

I suppose they will all be shown again at some point, but does anyone know why it is not on endless repeat like every other programme on BBC? I must have seen every Top Gear, Katie Brand, Little Britain, and Gavin and Stacie 15 times even without trying...well really trying not to... but High Altitude is on once late on Sunday evening and never re-appears...

I wonder why?
Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy