Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

National newspaper editor writes ski article for rival paper (former employer)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today's Observer has an interesting article about off-piste skiing in Davos by Roger Alton, editor of the Independent:

Start turn in the virgin snow [The Observer]
Quote:
At Swissfreeride, Martin and his team use a technique called the Progressive Off-piste System (POS), a revolutionary method of tuition for skiing and boarding. This is based on a series of detailed exercises designed to disentangle and remodel your technique. We practise how to even out the weight on our skis: keeping our weight in the "fall-line" ...

Quote:
Roger Alton was editor of the Observer from 1998 to 2007

Is he really writing for a rival, or has this piece been retrieved from the filing cabinet?

Intriguing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Possibly relevant:

Independent staff to ballot on industrial action over job cuts [The Guardian, 4 February 2009]
Quote:
The managing director and editor-in-chief of the Independent and Independent on Sunday, Simon Kelner, and the Independent editor, Roger Alton, were approached by MediaGuardian.co.uk but both were unable to comment at the time of publication.

With all that going on, a frolic in the snow must be very welcome!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who cares rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, not me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I do not know the answer. Either way, he would not have been the first journo to reheat old copy for a different article and get paid handsomely for doing so.

I am not up to speed on the in-fighting between The Guardian(Russbridger) and The Observer. Unlike other posters, it is of interest to me as it can shed a different light on many articles. This applies more to mainstream news than 'lifestyle'/travel stuff though. I am already suspicious of many articles in those particular categories.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the piece was written off the back of a freebie - the back of the article mentions the airline, Swiss transfer ticket and provider of the ski holiday but doesn't actually say (as is usual) whether this is 'an advertisement or merely factual information' - then the article would be in conflict with the founding principles of The Independent (not sure if these still hold).

The Independent was launched with all travel articles based on trips paid for by its journalists or the newspaper itself (I believe the magazine Conde Nast Traveller has a similar approach).

Or maybe The Independent's travel editor didn't want an off-piste ski article. As I say ... it's intriguing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, Free holidays for journos and ethics of travel journalism are small potatoes in this case.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2702917.ece

Fall out from Iraq war reporting concerns the front page and editorial.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well there you go: Roger Alton, editor of the Observer at the time, promoted the illegal* invasion of Iraq ...

... despite its rubbish skiing.

[* Though he wouldn't necessarily have known it at the time]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy