Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK & Dutch Half Term coincide in 2010 = price increase

Poster: A snowHead
In out resort we have 2 "very" big hotels (500+ people) plus loads of smaller one like all ski resorts. The buzz went round the resort that both had been fully booked out on contract for next UK half term (13/14 Feb 2010). No-one could work out why as no UK companies ever block out both Big-Uns as they don't have the cash to put down deposits on stuff this size.

Now we know - the Dutch Half Term next coincides with the UK half term for the first time in ages in 2010. The Dutch TO's (being a little more savvy than the UK TO's, and having more cash at hand in Euros) have been whizzing round Italy and block booking all the big hotels. I would think they are doing this in the rest of the Alps as well - apparently there is a small ski slope some where in France but this is only a rumour so I can't confirm this. Smile

If you going skiing at Half Term (please don't start the debate ??) then for 2010 you should book now as the costs "will" go up due to supply and demand. As an example 2 of the big UK TO's that normally send families and school group to us during HT have been told they have no hotel rooms. The buggery is, is that they both use us for lessons but thats another story.

Just a word to the wiser in case you're interested.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, This is more or less the same situation as we have just had for 2009 - one UK HT week instead of two, shared with chunks of France, all of Belgium and I did think Netherlands too Puzzled I was wildly busy right up to the Friday before - 13/2 - and even after the weekend, one or two enquiries from people who could manage a few days in the week.

I have now already booked the whole of our chalet-hotel in La Tania (27 beds to one family/friends group) - booked last November! Many of our other properties are already booked by returning clients, so if you're not already looking or have a large group/specific requirements/budget constraints, now is the time to do so. I did manage to track down some very late availability - one was a client looking for a chalet for 10, ski in/out, 5 days before arrival! - and they loved it but it was only available due to a cancellation and wasn't ski in/out! To save stress (you're not that likely to save money by waiting) I'd suggest anyone tied to school holidays should get it booked now and then forget about it! When everyone else is running around frantically trying to book something - anything - you can relax and smile Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In half term week just gone (w/b 14.02.09), Obertauern at least was full of Dutch families; it was school hols in Amsterdam and for all I know elewhere in Netherlands.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Dutch are now in our resort in a BIG way - I have the week off as can't speak a word of French. Over here they normally come the week after the British or maybe 2 weeks after but next year they are on the same week, not as the British as there won't be any (except for the 6 hotels that we have contracted which we can only do as I know the owners)

When comparing British and Dutch skiers (OMG Little Angel )
British - boring ski suits, Crazy (too fast) skiing, manly lower intermediate, polite queues; can normally say Please and Thank you in Italian (or Spanish which they think is the same). Hardly ever seen after dinner, have a thing about skiing black runs,

Dutch – Too many still wearing one piece suit, drink lots of beer at lunch, don't even try to speak Italian, much more fun in the bars, ski in "packs", like the sing in cable cars,

Over-all it’s a draw
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My half-term week for next year has already been booked, and I had to disappoint four people who were all waiting in a queue for the guests to decide if they wanted that week (they book every year), or book Easter instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And just to make things worse, it is also Paris holidays.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont,
How do you look after the waiting for bookings list? Is it successful for you? Do clients mind waiting on the off-chance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, unusually, I had four enquiries during the curent half-term week for next year.Perhaps from people who had forgone thier holiday this year, and were missing the snow. I replied to all of them, saying that our current guests normally rebook for next year, but that as they has expressed an interest in staying at Easter instead, I would get back to them once they had confirmed. They only had to wait a few days. At least two of these would have been definite bookings, so I have passed them both on to a friend who looks after another couple of apartments there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont,
Did the people who were turned away book with us on another date or are people normally tied to specific dates
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, One family are French, and have another week's holiday, they would have preferred the first one, but are considering taking the week of Feb 21st instead. The other two were Uk enquiries, and stuck with half-term week. I have given them the website address for my booking calendar, and mentioned the lovely Easter weather wink, and how nice Christmas is in the Alps. One can but try. A lot of my bookings this season have stayed before on at least one occasion.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sound a good situation - returning clients. Just looked at your link and it looks really nice so would think that people will always want to stay in such a picturesque place
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The week 13th feb is Fasching week, never mind school holidays this is about the biggest week in its own right in Austria.However our prices stay the same for the whole of Feb regardless os school holidays anywhere. Razz
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IME the Dutch and the UK are often on hols in the same week. Sad If you add Paris to the mix it's hell. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dutch half term hols in 2010; 20th-28th Feb (source http://www.schoolvakanties.nl/land/Nederland/jaar/2009). Appears to be after French half term and UK, from what I can find on t'interweb.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyph wrote:
Dutch half term hols in 2010; 20th-28th Feb (source http://www.schoolvakanties.nl/land/Nederland/jaar/2009). Appears to be after French half term and UK, from what I can find on t'interweb.

You are right. The Dutch half term starts at the 20th. But it is only an advice, so schools can choose for an other week (and it is to be expected that a lot of schools in the south do, because of carnival). But most of us will keep to the advice, so you don't have to be afraid of us. Little Angel
snow report
Oh well - will just have to take the kids mid-Jan again Cool
snow conditions
Hoi ton, welkom bij Snowheads!
latest report
Thanks Andyph, my surfing is the result of being hollidaysick after an excellent skiing holliday
snow conditions
I feel like that for about 50 weeks of the year. Crying or Very sad
snow report
I wonder if ton, has a brother called Stan,

ton, Welcome and apologies for what will probably appear to be a meaningless comment - someone will explain later
snow report
Boris, Laughing
snow report
Maybe I'm wrong about the Dutch afterall (I am about most things) but they have booked out all the big hotels for feb 13/14 next yar - must be a reason - who knows
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy