Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In the red corner its Swiss ski school & in the blue corner it's French ski school

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
easiski wrote:
richmond, I find kids fairly naturally do the right things if brought along gently (not necessarily slowly),

Kids certainly don't seem to regard skiing techniques as counterintuitive, as I and most of my chums who learnt as adults did.
Quote:
however it often happens that parents rush their little darlings onto relatively steep runs

I can well believe it; that was one of the reasons (there were many) why we didn't try to teach our kids.

Megamum, you don't think that you might be over analysing a bit? Find a school with decent class sizes, bung 'em in, check that they're enjoying it OK and watch them become excellent skiers in no time flat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski,
Quote:

politeness (especially kids) like saying hello and thank you to lifties etc

Now that is something that should be taught at all levels Very Happy

Lists like yours always make me smile, because there is never any reference to teaching the person how to stop Laughing
Conjures up a lovely image of the trainee snowploughing into oblivion Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

there is never any reference to teaching the person how to stop

I should hope not - skiing is all about going, not stopping. With negative thoughts like that there's no hope for you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda, but there's always the time you know you should stop but............. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Yoda, but there's always the time you know you should stop but............. Toofy Grin

From my little bit of teaching experience the bigger problem is beginners trying to stop by doing a high speed 'death plough' in a straight line down too steep a slope. Better to control speed by turning and saving the stopping plough for slow speed stops such as approaching a lift line.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, "high speed 'death plough'" !!!

Oh that one certainly brought back some memories Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman wrote:
rob@rar, "high speed 'death plough'" !!!

Oh that one certainly brought back some memories Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Indeed, mainly of blazing thighs as I ploughed down some interminable road on the way home (perhaps this explains my enjoyment of riding down in a lift at the end of the day).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, er - snowploughing, edging, traversing - all mentioned. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
So, if the protestations of the instructors on this thread are to be believed, and contrary to my own experience, do I conclude that every country teaches its ski students using the same curriculum, progression guide and within the skills of the instructors themselves, using the same methods of teaching?

Quite the contrary!

What they're saying is no two instructor teaches using the same method! Never mind all instructor within the same country.

Let's seperate the issues.

If you're concern about placing your kids in the right level, easiski had assured you they'll be moved if neccessary. So it seems that issue is settled.

If, however, you're suggesting one country has better method than the other, as in the title, that's a very different issue.

Now, we're back to the "real" issue, aren't we?

Except, if no two instructor teaches using the same method, there couldn't possibly be a "national" method, could it? So what's the issue again? Puzzled

Put another way, the differences between individual is bigger than any possible differences between the norm of any two country. That seems to be supported by both instructors and learners/parents.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 4-03-09 21:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
Boredsurfing, er - snowploughing, edging, traversing - all mentioned. rolling eyes

and thus highlighting the benefit of an English mother tongue instructor Toofy Grin
I was never taught that any of those were how to stop.

btw, The two world champion girls from Bath bobsleigh were on TV again yesterday morning Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy