Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski dilemna

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I sold my fischer RX8s (165) about a month ago - I thought they were either too much for me or I needed a longer length.

I am 6' 1", 12st, fit age 55, intermediate.
I have spent most of last week on Rossignol Zenith Z1s (170), I found the tails were difficult to get around when turning and they didn't grip well, I didn't find them particularly easy to carve or ski.

I have just tried my son's 4 yr old Dynastar Trouble Makers (165) and I thought they were great - I have done about 6 * 2km piste runs on them and I found them very easy to ski, with excellent edge grip and easy to carve. They gave me so much confidence that I found myself going far too fast in busy areas and having to stand on the brakes.

I am really surprised by these skis.

Surely a 165 twin tip should be far too short for me and should be unstable at speed ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 1-03-09 19:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any opinions please ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micky wrote:
I sold my fischer RX8s (165) about a month ago - I thought they were either too much for me or I needed a longer length....
Puzzled

A longer length would be 'more' ski, not less.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found the RX8s unstable at speed which is why I thought I needed to go longer. I rented 170s (different skis) and immediately found I could safely go faster.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it might be a case of the skis being more forgiving of weaknesses in your technique. I don't mean that in a rude way, but as you say you're an intermediate it's the most likely explanation. In which case lessons will make a much bigger difference than any skis ever will. As you progress your opinion of various skis will change too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The world cup slalom boys ski 165, and they're fairly handy.

What sort of skiing are you doing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On piste only. I keep thinking I'll try some off piste but I never do, though I did look for some in Courchevel last week. Also, I spend some time in the park doing small jumps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micky, I think you might be a tad impatient. And your spelling leaves something to be desired. wink Or is that not the sort of opinion you wanted?

Stability these days has much to do with shape, not length. I ski on race stock 165s and they'll go as fast as I want - although straight line stability is neither their forte, nor a design objective.

Z1s are targeted as being pretty "easy" - I find it surprising that you describe them as "difficult". (I haven't skied them myself). The website also suggests "medium" speeds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It took me a minute to find my mistake but anyway - DILEMMA looks wrong to me although the online dictionary tells me it is correct.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
micky, sounds like you keep hiring all-mountain recreational slalom skis, not liking the turn shape they expect, and then getting them in longer lengths (meant for heavier guys) to get a bigger (longer) turn shape out of them?

Not surprising to me _at all_ that you found the Dynastar Troublemakers completely different and easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
165 TT's would be too short for a 6ft intermediate but if you spend all your time on piste, I wouldn't waste your time with TT's anyway.
TTs have many design pluses but you don't seem to be using them, so all you have is a very short piste ski, IMV..which of course, will be easy to throw around and that is fine if that is what you want..I guess.

I am not a fan of a short weak tail that a TT might have, for decent speeds...it just encourages all the wrong messages to me... the tail washes out straight away which makes a skiddy turn a doddle but
the fact that you find this set-up easier suggests you are short-cutting your skiing and would benefit from a lesson or 2.

If you want to handle carving you will need a strong tail and be able to direct it throughout the turn...this is not as important as some might have you think, but it does provide stability and keep your turn a bit more honest throughout, IMO....if you pivot and skid, that is fine and useful, but it isn't anywhere near carving a full turn.

I hope this doesn't sound mean but you might want to improve a few things...so you can handle a decent 175 piste carver which is the type of ski, I think, you should be looking at .....IMV
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy