Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leesh a legal requirement?

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting....
I was taught a load of stuff about preventing runaway boards as the absolute first thing I learned on the nursery slope, before I even got to put it on. They really dinned it into us (along with nor sitting in blind spots or in the middle of the piste!)

I've recently been out riding with novices who don't seem to think about this and I've seen a couple of runaway boards - in fact I followed one for about a kilometer down the mountain last year in case there was an accident - I still have no idea where it came from!

Leaving aside the off-piste element, it might not be a bad idea for a leash to be policy for learners, but I think that having one is no substitute for common sense. You can still lose a board with a leash. I wonder if someone might develop a brake for boards.

You're right - it's the new helmet debate!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd,
Quote:

exactly how would leashes have prevented the runaway board incident you witnessed?

Completely pointless things.

Now think about it. you decide you don;t wanna go down there cos its too steep. bumpy, narrow or you cant think! The only way back up is to unclip and walk. You unclip your rear foot no problem. You unclip your front foot and..........s**t the board is gone Embarassed Now if you had a leash on the board would still be attached to your leg Blush unless of course you were stupid enough to either not be wearing a leash or had unclipped it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have unclipped my board and walked before many many times.. I have NEVER lost it down the slope. You cannot generalise about peoples stupidity
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sherlock235 Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where I work everybody gets a leash unless they prove to me they arent complete idiots. So many boards get lost by people taking photos at the top of the mountain then realising their board went for a walk.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My bindings came with a small clip on leash attached so i've always used it and my board has never run off as i take my front foot out and unclip the leash. I find this handy for picking my board up because i dont have to bend so far! getting old you see.

My front foot usually comes out the board at cafe breaks or at the end of the day when i'm knackered so i would imagine that this would be the time i would lose concentration and see my board ploughing into some unfortunate child. Wear a leash people!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I have unclipped my board and walked before many many times.. I have NEVER lost it down the slope. You cannot generalise about peoples stupidity

The stupid part is the fact that some people think it will NEVER happen to them Skullie
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flying planet, but I am not stupid & I bet you are not perfect
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, with hindsight that story is hilarious cos nothing went "wrong", but it could've had a very different outcome if my husband had fallen down a tree well as he went swimming through god-knows-how-deep powder to retrieve the errant board.

or if i had crashed into something after i lost control of my bottom skidding attempts and went skimming backwards down the piste.

on my back

headfirst

screaming for my mum... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

...i didn't know what tree wells were either until then. "so why did you go get the board if you knew how potentially dangerous it was then?" i asked. his reply? "cos i'm not paying for a lost hire board." rolling eyes men. and yes, stupid woman rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My god what have I started!

For the record I decided after the first two posts the I am going to use a leesh!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We all thought it couldn't be done but crispyste, you have found a replacement for the 'helmet/flow' argument
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've never crashed my truck but i wouldn't go without brakes Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a leash is a choice NOT a necessity, when driving a truck you need brakes, you don't need a leash to get down the hill rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow,
Quote:

flying planet, but I am not stupid & I bet you are not perfect

We are not talking about perfection. Just common sense Blush Hope you have plenty of good insurance Toofy Grin
ski holidays
YAWN
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
YAWN

My thoughts exactly..

This is a bad week for snowHead threads, what between this and that other thread in Apres..

It's funny how many people think they know better than everybody else..
ski holidays
Great week boarding in Austria, no leash though as it would not reach from the mountain restaurant to the ski racks outside, I saw someone lose their board down the mountain trying to put their leash on before putting their front foot in Wink
snow conditions
Mr scoops it's a pleasure to have you back Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rayscoops, Laughing hope you had a good time!
snow conditions
I've idly been wondering what a 'leesh' was and finally curiosity got the better of me. Something else to add to the list of scary possibilities (that's the trouble with snowHeads, throws up all sorts of risks one's never thought of) - the delightful prospect of being decapitated by a runaway snowboard. Shocked Skullie
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow,
Quote:

a leash is a choice NOT a necessity, when driving a truck you need brakes, you don't need a leash to get down the hill

Wrong again you only need brakes if you can't really drive the truck Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I saw someone lose their board down the mountain trying to put their leash on before putting their front foot in

Goes to show it can happen to anyone at anytime DebbiDoesSnow,
Quote:

YAWN

Toofy Grin
latest report
ski kimberley wrote:
Quote:

I saw someone lose their board down the mountain trying to put their leash on before putting their front foot in

Goes to show it can happen to anyone at anytime DebbiDoesSnow

It mainly goes to show a leash is no insurance against stupidity and that there is no substitute for common sense...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy