Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leesh a legal requirement?

Poster: A snowHead
Was just browsing a snowboard website and it said a leash is a legal requirement in some area, is this true? If so where?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no, only in the states so far as I know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah that's why they're saying that. Cheers Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
some lifts wont let you on without a leash, f-ing nonsense if you ask me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really? Does sound like nonsense. One foot is permanently strapped in, surely?! Unless you're using flow bindings I guess... but I'm not!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's only for clip-in bindings like Switch though, I think
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
has anyone in the last 10 years used switch?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

One foot is permanently strapped in, surely?! Unless you're using flow bindings I guess.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does that not make sense pam? Well I'm new to boarding buy what I mean is you'd never take your forward foot out of its binding, at least not whilst on the piste - so therefore why the need for a leash?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well I use Flow bindings (when I board, which isn't very often) and can assure you that I have my front foot clipped in all the time too. Why should Flows be an exception?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, cause they're rubbish Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I may contribute to this thread as a non-snowboarder Toofy Grin , I think there is a general principle applied by many resorts (don't know about the legal aspect) that whatever people slide on (skis or boards) they must either be fitted with brakes (presumably not possible on a board?) or attached by a leash.

As it happens, about 10 years ago I was on a T-Bar drag lift in an Austrian resort when it stopped (for quite a long time) with me on quite a steep section. There was no-one on the first T-Bar directly in front of me, but there was a boarder on the second one above me. For some reason he decided to adjust his binding or step out; anyway his board started rapidly accelerating down the slope towards me Shocked (with him running down the slope not able to catch it). I could see that I could move to the side to avoid being hit, but then it occurred to me that if I didn't stop it, since it was gaining speed all the time if it hit someone further down the slope there could be a bad injury or worse. As it came towards me I was able to put my inverted ski pole out and stop it (although it took a big chunk out of the handle!). Now obviously in this case the boarder was a bit of a c*ck for what he did, but there is always the possiblity through human error of a ski or board inadvertently getting loose on a slope, in which case you want a means of stopping it.

Incidentally many telemark skis are not fitted with brakes, in which case a short leash clipped to the boot is used.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can just about see the logic in leashes (however I don't use one!), but something that was drummed in to me when learning is always put your board down upside down as soon as taking it off. To avoid near death incidents and to stop you losing £300-£500 worth of kit! Can't belive the amount of people who stop at mountain cafes leave them on there bases, it might be on the flat but an accidental nudge when squeezing past will still send it a good few hundred metres down the mountain!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you don't wear a leash then you've never had to take your board off on a steep slope, once you've done that in a sketchy place then you won't ride without one IMO. I've had to catch a board more than once as it sped down a slope, not only is it an expensive bit of kit to lose but if it hits someone then it could quite easily kill them. The only exception I can think of is if you want to be able to lose your board e.g. if you're caught in a slide, but then you'd have been going to the bother of rigging a rip cord and all that so are probably a bit beyond this debate.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, I use a leash for backcountry hikes, no way on earth I'm losing my board in the middle of nowhere.
snow report
pam w wrote:
well I use Flow bindings (when I board, which isn't very often) and can assure you that I have my front foot clipped in all the time too. Why should Flows be an exception?

Ah I see what you mean, i thought flow bindings were the type you stepped into - therefore could possibly come loose hence the need for a leesh. I stand corrected though, and I'm off to google 'flow bindings' lol.

Alastair Pink, good points, i can see how it would come in useful in some situations. And at less than a tenner then there's no excuses.
snow report
IIRC there are several resorts in Austria that require you to have a leash. I also think that a lot of ski schools make them compulsory.

I use one, and can't see why anyone would have an issue with using one. At best it prevents a serious accident involving a runaway board, at worst it takes 2 seconds to fasten/unfasten.
ski holidays
I saw a runaway board picking up huge speed last week under the Rhodos telecabine in Meribel, I was on the lift so didn't see how or where it stopped but it was causing people to move out of the way rather quickly and you definitely wouldn't want to have been hit by it. Everyone in the cabin (including a couple of boarders) wondered why the boarder wasn't wearing a leash.
snow conditions
I think all boarders should have leashes, that should keep them off the slopes. Twisted Evil

Ok, I'm off and running. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
steph,
Quote:
I saw a runaway board picking up huge speed last week under the Rhodos telecabine in Meribel, I was on the lift so didn't see how or where it stopped but it was causing people to move out of the way rather quickly and you definitely wouldn't want to have been hit by it. Everyone in the cabin (including a couple of boarders) wondered why the boarder wasn't wearing a leash.

I agree, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to wear a leash with their board. It doesn't take much to send the board off down the hill although others are right in saying that when you are taught then when the board is off then it is meant to be put down on the snow bindings side down. Mind you I think the majority of escaped board incidents will be when inexperienced people are trying to step in at the top of a slope and the board accidentally slips away from them and off it goes unless it is attached with a leash. I heard once that runaway boards can reach speeds of 100 mph Shocked no wonder it could kill someone.

pamw with your Flows, when you want to put your board on at the top of the slope, can you sit down on your bum and do them up like with ratchet bindings or do you have to do them up by bending down with your back facing down the hill? I ask this because doesn't the back plate of the Flows dig into the snow if you try and do them up when the board is on it's heel edge whilst sat on your bum? Does that make sense?
snow report
I use a leash.

If you fix it between both bindings, when the board is not being ridden, it makes it easy to sling the board over your shoulder for when walking to a lift, or back to the hotel etc. Although I can now clip it to my Dakine Heli.
ski holidays
Never used one, never lost a board. A lot of it is down to being careful and sensible.... which a lot of people are not (one of my mates was a classic example)
I haven't really ventured off piste so maybe I would then but on the piste I pick my spot to strap into my board and it has worked for me.
latest report
I also found in January that leashes are not exactly practical for "rear-entry" bindings such as Flows, Cinchs or Fastec. I am saying this because most people attach the leash to their highback, and with those bindings the leash pulls the higback up when you try and get in the binding, putting the said higback in the way...In the end, you have to clip the leash on once you're strapped in which king of defeats the point...
ski holidays
Quote:

Really? Does sound like nonsense. One foot is permanently strapped in, surely?! Unless you're using flow bindings I guess... but I'm not!

It shoild be law everywhere. Tell you why. Last year I was guiding a group here in Kimberley we crossed from a blue run to a double diamond black. No problem for the guys I was with. However a couple of novices on the blue rn followed us. I think its called the lemmon syndrome Puzzled Anyhow this dd is steep and narrow so I stopped to clue everyone in. mins later and a board flew past our heads at about 70mph. The boarders who had followed decided it was not for them and to get back up meant walking so they unclipped their boards on a steepish mogulled section. no leashes so the boards took off. One hit a tree and the other flew past us. 2 rental boards that had to be recovered or paid for. Luckily no one was hurt. In France if you lose the board and it hits someone the Gendarms will prosecute you. So for $5 I would buy a leash and use it all the time.Kruisler,
Quote:

I also found in January that leashes are not exactly practical for "rear-entry" bindings such as Flows, Cinchs or Fastec. I am saying this because most people attach the leash to their highback, and with those bindings the leash pulls the higback up when you try and get in the binding, putting the said higback in the way...In the end, you have to clip the leash on once you're strapped in which king of defeats the point...

You should put the leash on before you get on the lift. The leash should attach to your front leg and is buckled up after you foot is in the binding so is always on. Also on Flos etc attach from the cable or ratchet strap. No problems. Please please use a leash wink
snow report
Quote:

You should put the leash on before you get on the lift. The leash should attach to your front leg and is buckled up after you foot is in the binding so is always on

With all due respect: "No sh-t sherlock?!" rolling eyes

But what would be the point of the leash if your foot was absolutely always in the binding?
The leash is there because on some rare occasions you'll have both feet out of the bindings... Or am I living in cuckoo land?
And of course on rear entry bindings you can try and attach the leash somewhere else, I was just pointing out that the usual set up wasn't very pratical with those bindings...
This is experience talking here, i.e. I do use a leash..
snow report
Again .... I bring up the point "its down to being sensible" !!!!
Sounds like the LEMMINGs that followed you were a little bit light in the brains department. Why else would anyone follow a group of people they don't know, nor what ability they are ? I rest my case
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I think that it is down to being sensible, but I believe that being sensible involves wearing a leash! An accident with a runaway board doesn't need someone to be an idiot, just to drop it becuase their hands are cold or slippy. With a leash, I can turn the board upside down before I unclip.
latest report
you still have to put the board on the ground before you attach the leash so there is still room for error and the thing sliding off down the hill. If you choose a decent spot, dig the board in and ensure you have hold of one binding until the opposite foots is in, then it isnt gonna slide away.

I am not condoning or belittling anyones choice to use a leash (and at this moment that is what it is, a personal choice) I just believe if you are sensible, aware of your surroundings & in control then you won't lose the board.

This opinion does not include off piste, back country etc as I am not a professional or a nutter
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never used one, but can see the point. Even the most careful person can make mistakes or slip. How would you feel if your board did get lose and seriously hurt someone, even if it never left the ground, it could reach high speed and with a metal edge slice someones ankle off?
snow report
Chuffed to bits if it was a snowblader Laughing
latest report
Toofy Grin
snow report
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
i use a leash cos i nearly lost a board on my second ever trip. like the people mentioned in a post above, i was inexperienced, got to a slope that was too steep for me and decided to walk down instead. we'd only ever used hire boards (they aren't normally issued with leashes?) so weren't even aware of their existence. i started sliding down on my rear end with the board across, rather than pointing down, the slope. cos i was being lazy and incredibly naive (read stupid) i didn't realise how bad an idea this was.

luckily for me, it was an virtually empty resort, and even emptier slope, so i got away with the board shooting off down the slope into some trees on the side instead of taking someone out. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

moral: lesson learned and now i'm so paranoid i always use it, even when in a fridge Embarassed
ski holidays
sherlock235, you must have bloomin big fridge wink
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, Don't think he meant 'fridge' literally... More seriously, I've seen a number of 'unaccompanied' boards hurtlng downhill, in my very limited time skiing. 'Come back board!....please?..'
snow report
ski kimberley, exactly how would leashes have prevented the runaway board incident you witnessed?

Completely pointless things.
snow conditions
stevomcd, like in my case, if it was a long enough leash i.e. one that ties around your leg rather than binding to boot, they could've left it tied whilst walking down the slope holding the board in their one hand.

i have a binding to boot one, but also like DebbiDoesSnow, i find a good place to strap in so that the board doesn't go shooting off. and the first thing i attach after i place my foot into the front binding is the leash to my boot, not strap my foot into the binding.

i witnessed a friend of mine nearly lose her runaway board when i was away in january. she had sat down to strap in, but the board had other ideas and went off down the slope. i must admit that i wouldn't have chosen the same spot to strap in as it was a bit downhill, rather than flat. and it didn't help that her reflexes were rather slow, so another friend had to race after it before it leapt off a red/black split. again luckily the board didn't hit anything or anyone. but you can only get so much luck in one life eh?

good grief. this is turning into the helmet thread for snowboarders! Laughing
snow conditions
allanm wrote:
DebbiDoesSnow, Don't think he meant 'fridge' literally...

erm.... it was called a joke & he is a she wink
ski holidays
sherlock235, when i was taught to put on you put the board on the ground on the uphill side of you, then strapped the front foot in. only then did you sit down to strap in your back foot. this, we were told, was to stop you loosing your board before you were strapped in.

just wondered if anyone else does this? Puzzled
ski holidays
crispyste, a leash is often a requirement for insurance to board off piste - sometimes on piste too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy